• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slaytonf

That's a nice car!

the Karmann-Ghia

Believe here was one in the Jon Voight flick, 'Coming Home'

7198077volkswagen-karmann-ghia-1959-6.jp

you know in my neighborhood people still despise "Hanoi Jane" Fonda (and that fine movie did NOT ameliorate their wrath)

I believe the car in COMING HOME you refer to is a PORSCHE 356 "Speedster", though I'm not certain of the year (possibly a mid-'60's).

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I remember BRUCE DERN making that reference to the car when Jane picked him up from the Marine camp in one scene.  "AH! The SPEEDSTER!" he exclaimed.  Then driving past a war protester, flipping him the bird saying, "Peace on you."  :huh:

Sepiatone

there's a nice Jag in Elmore Leonard's "52-Pickup" starring Roy Scheider, Ann Margaret (hubba hubba), and John Glover as the villain (below). A John Frankenheimer film, I seem to recall. May be the best director of thrillers ever?

Anyway I can't find a pic of Scheider's jag. Below is the villain car.

93289_full.jpg

I don't know about the FRANKENHEIMER  thing, but, as good as SCHEIDER usually was in anything he did, ya gotta  admit...

JOHN GLOVER MADE this movie!

And....my eyes still get misty when I think about that beautiful Jag getting blown to pieces.  Yeah, I know it was no doubt a fake, but the IDEA!  ACK!!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The Seven-Ups

7ups7.jpg

This blog says it all. https://thebillhickmanstory.wordpress.com/the-films/the-seven-ups-2/

(Bill Hickman), one of the top stunt drivers of all time. Responsible for Bullitt, French Connection; etc. Others in his skill tier are few: Remy Julienne...

image036.jpg

http://www.theitalianjob.com/cars_stunts.htm

JOHN GLOVER MADE this movie!

They make a great protagonist/antagonist pair. If memory serves, they worked previously together in a film, too. Name it if you can --no help from the audience!

47 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

there's a nice Jag in Elmore Leonard's "52-Pickup" starring Roy Scheider, Ann Margaret (hubba hubba), and John Glover as the villain (below). A John Frankenheimer film, I seem to recall. May be the best director of thrillers ever?

Anyway I can't find a pic of Scheider's jag. Below is the villain car.

Here ya go, Sarge...

i137934.jpg

(...found in the imcdb website)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Here ya go, Sarge...

i137934.jpg

What is that white 'thing' on the hood?   (in front of the driver).

Thanks 

Yay! Thanks! Aw what a honey. '63 right?

I believe the white thing on her face is the slotted grill for outflow engine air. Its white because of sun glare.

9 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yay! Thanks! Aw what a honey. '63 right?

I believe the white thing on her face is the slotted grill for outflow engine air. Its white because of sun glare.

The imcdb website said it to be a '65.

And yep, you're correct about the "white thing". Sun glare off those hood louvers it is.

(...ahem, sorry, it's a British car, and so sun glare off those "bonnet" louvers) ;)

The E Type Jag is one of the most beautiful cars ever made.  If you don't want to drive it.  Horrible reliability and expensive to fix if you can find someone to do it.  I knew a guy who had a '68 in 1975.  He had to wait three months for a brake part to come in from England.  Fortunately his daily driver was a '70 Mustang.

• Like 1

Lee Horsely IS Matt Houston

Sparks Roadster. I don't know what kind of detective ever makes a salary able to support a lifestyle which includes a vehicle like this. Maybe ...Nash Bridges?

untitled-27.2.jpg

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

The imcdb website said it to be a '65.

And yep, you're correct about the "white thing". Sun glare off those hood louvers it is.

(...ahem, sorry, it's a British car, and so sun glare off those "bonnet" louvers) ;)

I assume the hood louver is chrome?    I say this because I just got back from hiking and I saw a car (from about 20 feet away) that had a similar hood louver and it looked 'white' due sun glare,  but when I got up close I noticed it was chrome and just looked white due to the reflection.

Also,  how much sun glare would a British car get?    It isn't always sunny in Britain like it is in So Cal!   (and on a sunny British afternoon one's girlfriend is going to drive off in one's car anyway!).

10 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

the DeathMobile!

deathmobile11.jpg

the Bluesmobile!

bluesmobile.jpg

Pursuit Special!18n51h7rkuwe6jpg.jpg

Funny, muscular, but not nice.

5 hours ago, TheCid said:

The E Type Jag is one of the most beautiful cars ever made.  If you don't want to drive it.  Horrible reliability and expensive to fix if you can find someone to do it.  I knew a guy who had a '68 in 1975.  He had to wait three months for a brake part to come in from England.  Fortunately his daily driver was a '70 Mustang.

Well TheCid, I am compelled to say you are wrong.  The E Type is the most beautiful and sexy car ever made.  Anybody who ever owned one, either when it was made or till today never cared about reliability or upkeep because it's the most beautiful and sexy car ever made.  Occasionally I idly wonder if its performance ever matched its looks--but it doesn't matter.  There was an upperish-end used car place I used to pass two or three times a week in my peregrinations that had one in the window.  I considered buying it for the three or so months it was there.  I can't decide if I regret it, uncertain wether the pleasure of owning one would outweigh the pleasure of wanting one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume the hood louver is chrome?    I say this because I just got back from hiking and I saw a car (from about 20 feet away) that had a similar hood louver and it looked 'white' due sun glare,  but when I got up close I noticed it was chrome and just looked white due to the reflection.

Also,  how much sun glare would a British car get?    It isn't always sunny in Britain like it is in So Cal!   (and on a sunny British afternoon one's girlfriend is going to drive off in one's car anyway!).

I can certainly understand why you'd think those louvers had been chromed on the Jag, James, as chrome parts in some photos come off as being white in color, however in this case Glover's E-type, and as is the case with almost every E-type I've ever seen, does not feature chromed louvers on their hoods.

I know this because I just found the following clip on YouTube of 52 Pick-Up and where during the final showdown between Glover and Scheider this Jaguar's hood can be quickly seen, and those louvers do not appear to have been chromed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Here ya go, Sarge...

i137934.jpg

Definitely, definitely nice.  As I've said before.

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And....my eyes still get misty when I think about that beautiful Jag getting blown to pieces.  Yeah, I know it was no doubt a fake, but the IDEA!  ACK!!

You'll find that happens a lot, especially in action/adventure/heist movies.  It seems filmmakers feel compelled to destroy the most beautiful cars wantonly.  One of the most painful moments comes in The Italian Job (1969) when--no, no, I can't describe it. . . . .

8 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Well TheCid, I am compelled to say you are wrong.  The E Type is the most beautiful and sexy car ever made.  Anybody who ever owned one, either when it was made or till today never cared about reliability or upkeep because it's the most beautiful and sexy car ever made.  Occasionally I idly wonder if its performance ever matched its looks--but it doesn't matter.  There was an upperish-end used car place I used to pass two or three times a week in my peregrinations that had one in the window.  I considered buying it for the three or so months it was there.  I can't decide if I regret it, uncertain wether the pleasure of owning one would outweigh the pleasure of wanting one.

Well slayton, as you may know, even Enzo Ferrari once famously made this very comment.

(...and so I'd say you're in good company with your opinion here, anyway)