Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

9 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Definitely, definitely nice.  As I've said before.

You'll find that happens a lot, especially in action/adventure/heist movies.  It seems filmmakers feel compelled to destroy the most beautiful cars wantonly.  One of the most painful moments comes in The Italian Job (1969) when--no, no, I can't describe it. . . . .

And of course also with another and earlier Jag XK series automobile.

(...that XK120 Jean Simmons slams into reverse and drives over that Hollywood Hills mansion's cliff with Bob Mitchum sitting shotgun in Angel Face)

I first fell in love with those E types back when first seeing on driven by ANTHONY FRANCIOSA back in his '64 TV show VALENTINE'S DAY.  Been a big fan of the car ever since.

AND Franciosa too..   B)

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I first fell in love with those E types back when first seeing on driven by ANTHONY FRANCIOSA back in his '64 TV show VALENTINE'S DAY.  Been a big fan of the car ever since.

AND Franciosa too..   B)

Sepiatone

When I was getting ready to depart Vietnam in 1971 I came very close to ordering an XKE, but rationality settled in.  It would be a four hour round-trip every time it needed servicing.  The military often has programs where you can order cars from overseas at reduced prices.

And too, a lot of other good things, CID....

Like, I couldn't BELIEVE the audacious SOUND SYSTEMS a few of my buddies got for REAL CHEAP while in the service!  And for some reason I couldn't talk any of them into getting something for me through those "connections" even though they'd get the money beforehand.

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And too, a lot of other good things, CID....

Like, I couldn't BELIEVE the audacious SOUND SYSTEMS a few of my buddies got for REAL CHEAP while in the service!  And for some reason I couldn't talk any of them into getting something for me through those "connections" even though they'd get the money beforehand.

Sepiatone

Technically it was illegal, but not to say it was not done.  You also had a grace period when you got home where you could order stuff from the PACEX (Pacific Exchange) catalog.  A Christmas Wish Book for grown-ups with electronics, cameras, furniture, clothing, jewelry and lots of good stuff.

I also believe part of the Pentagon's theory was that if you used your money (no credit permitted) on expensive toys, you wouldn't spend it on drugs.  So let's make it super cheap good deals. Not sure how that worked out.  Alcohol was extremely cheap in Vietnam and I'm talking the really good American stuff.  

• Thanks 1

trick question if you ever want to stump anyone

is this a Mercedes-Benz or not? Hood ornament says yes; but car historians say no. Body lines do not match.

i287246.jpg

the answer is that production designers 'mocked up' this phony vehicle for a movie in order to crash it.

Pete O'Toole & Barbara Hersey in 'The Stunt Man' (one of my fave flicks)

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

trick question if you ever want to stump anyone

is this a Mercedes-Benz or not? Hood ornament says yes; but car historians say no. Body lines do not match.

i287246.jpg

the answer is that production designers 'mocked up' this phony vehicle for a movie in order to crash it.

Pete O'Toole & Barbara Hersey in 'The Stunt Man' (one of my fave flicks)

Looks a bit like a cross between a Duesenberg and a Ford. 

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

thumb-1920-747018.jpg

Back in the early 60's we had a slot car raceway in town.  I took the body of my actual slot car and mounted a model of the above car on it.  Got attention but was really slow.

• Like 1

nice heap from Roger Moore & Tony Curtis' 1970 'The Persuaders' tv show

Renault R4

i016403.jpg

i058631.jpg

yes, even a lowly Renault, looks better than almost anything made by car manufacturers today

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Renault R4

I like the series--at least the earlier episodes, where they are true enemigos.  Good banter and even animosity.  But they devolve to frenemies, and then, sigh, friends.  All the spark and energy of their conflict is lost, and they end up the standard crusading duo.  

8 hours ago, TheCid said:

Back in the early 60's we had a slot car raceway in town.  I took the body of my actual slot car and mounted a model of the above car on it.  Got attention but was really slow.

You might like this.

You probably couldn't go very fast to begin with because of the Munster Koach high center of gravity.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Renault R4

i016403.jpg

i058631.jpg

yes, even a lowly Renault, looks better than almost anything made by car manufacturers today

Ummmm...sorry Sarge ol' boy, but that The Persuaders car isn't a Renault R4.

Nope, the car Roger Moore drove in that series and the picture you posted of that gorgeous yellow coupe is actually an Aston Martin DBS.

THIS is the far uglier and yes French Renault R4 here...

t_500x300

And btw, the car that Tony Curtis drove in that series was a car I'd give my eyeteeth to own, a Ferrari Dino 246GT...

hqdefault.jpg

(...and the funny thing about those Dino's is that before Enzo died, these mid-engined V-6 powered sports car were for many years "dismissed" by the Ferrari-ista as not being a "real Ferrari" as they weren't V-12 powered, and so you could pick up a nice used one in the $30K-$50K range...BUT once Enzo died, the prices for these babies skyrocketed, and are now very very sought after by collectors)

Btw, and speaking of French cars and Renault in particular, well okay, actually a car built by the french Alpine Company and powered by a succession of various Renault engines over its model run...

In my view THE most beautiful French car ever produced was/is this Renault/Alpine A110 here...

20171021-212845-luxify-3336-665813.jpg

(...these rear-engined babies were produced from 1961-1977, and once again like the Ferrari Dino are very very sought after my collectors today)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

:o Well, I took my info from IMCDB, that's all I can say about it...someone should get on to them about this...makes sense though...

What happened is that the IMCDB website will show a still from a film or television show in which in the background there's a quick shot of particular car, and then that car is also identified.

You probably noticed they have a rating system that consists of one to five yellow stars for each image, and with the more stars there being under a photo, the more the car was an integral part of the storyline.

And so in this case and in their web page for the cars in The Persuaders TV series, in one of the shots they show and identify the Renault R4 which was parked in the background as Roger Moore drove his Aston Martin past it, and below that shot there's only one of those yellow stars. And, on that same web page for that series is another shot of the Aston Martin, and it is identified as such and received four of those stars.

15 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Renault R4

i016403.jpg

Since identified as an Aston Martin.  Regardless, I don't particularly care for it.  To me looks too cobbled together from other makes' designs.  Too many square corners.

There are a lot of very nice looking cars being made today - lots and lots and lots.  And they are much better than anything made in the 70's by anybody.

Lots and lots and lots? :unsure: So today we enjoy an era of fabulous cars? Someday the Ford Probe and the Chevy Voyager--seen on American streets in hordes--will be classic?

To me, these vehicles look like..rodents.

019.JPG&f=1

1 minute ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Lots and lots and lots? :unsure: So today we enjoy an era of fabulous cars? Someday the Ford Probe and the Chevy Voyager--seen on American streets in hordes--will be classic?

To me, these vehicles look like..rodents.

019.JPG&f=1

The Ford Probe has been gone a long time and it was the Plymouth Voyager (also long gone).  Both were extremely popular cars, sold in the millions and made a lot of money for their companies.

Hmm my bad, I'm remiss in not examining closely enough, the metal labels laminated on the hoods and trunks of all these splendid machines lining my street when I must stroll past them. l'm usually averting my eyes in disgust.

Okay so their replacements today look exactly like the rodent pictured above (this is the model I see most of, believe me) but its now called something else. My goof.

But 'millions of sales' is no argument for bad taste; look at the Beidermeier Era in Germany, 1819 - 1845. A whole generation-and-a-half of an entire country, which specialized in chintzy decorative doilies, placemats, and kitchen wallpapers.

My point is, we can be in a cultural trough and not know it until its over.

3 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Hmm my bad, I'm remiss in not examining closely enough, the metal labels laminated on the hoods and trunks of all these splendid machines lining my street when I must stroll past them. l'm usually averting my eyes in disgust.

Okay so their replacements today look exactly like the rodent pictured above (this is the model I see most of, believe me) but its now called something else. My goof.

But 'millions of sales' is no argument for bad taste; look at the Beidermeier Era in Germany, 1819 - 1845. A whole generation-and-a-half of an entire country, which specialized in chintzy decorative doilies, placemats, and kitchen wallpapers.

My point is, we can be in a cultural trough and not know it until its over.

Your opinion.  Considering 17-18 MILLION (highest number ever) people in US purchase new cars each year, manufacturers must be doing something right.

Manufacturers build cars based on what people purchase and/or ask for.  Maybe instead of looking at what is on your street, go down to several new car lots from different corporations and look at the variety of automobile styles available.  You will be surprised.  While SUV's, CUV's and pick-ups are the major body styles, there are also lots of other types out there.