Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

1 hour ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Other hand.

One hand is on the frame of the windshield--pardon me--windscreen, and the other is on the frame of the car door window.

The lady in question, btw, is Diana Rigg, as Mrs. Peel in the British TV series The Avengers, dressed in one of her signature unitards, a fashion trend-setter.  A phenomenon difficult to understand, as she was the only one ever to have successfully worn one. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I have been puzzled about this thread, so went back to page one. The lady above appears to have a white cane. If she is blind, who drives the car?

The pic didn't get here with the "quote", but I don't notice a white cane.  Unless you're mistaking the vertical post of the vent window's frame for the cane.  ;) 

And if it IS a white cane, then maybe GEORGE KERBY is doing the driving....  :D

Sepiatone

13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

One hand is on the frame of the windshield--pardon me--windscreen, and the other is on the frame of the car door window.

The lady in question, btw, is Diana Rigg, as Mrs. Peel in the British TV series The Avengers, dressed in one of her signature unitards, a fashion trend-setter.  A phenomenon difficult to understand, as she was the only one ever to have successfully worn one. 

You could always tell when Emma was going to get into a fight.  She wore pants. Otherwise she usually wore dresses or skirts.

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 2:35 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Hillman Motors. A Brit auto manufacturer I hadn't known about. Lots of models, I chose just one to display here.

Hillman%20Minx%20Mark%20VIII%20Californi

When I was in high school in the early 60's I dated a girl who drove a Hillman Minx.  Her father worked as a mechanic at the local Ford dealership and got a deal on it when it was traded in on a Ford.

At least once per month, she had to call someone to come give her a ride home or somewhere because it was dead on the side of the road.  Her father would then go and get it running or back to the shop when he got off work.

This was on yesterday, but The Wheeler Dealers (1963) had some very good early 60's Chrysler Corp. products.  Also some others.  During late 50's and early 60's (maybe later?), Chrysler Corp. supplied a lot of vehicles to Hollywood for movies and TV shows.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Ha. And of course its not a 'nice' car either. Not nice at all. It'd be a lot of fun to ride down the street with it though.

Aside: looking at it I still can't figure out why the wheels are arranged the way they are. Do they operate like gears? The grooves on the tyres acting like cogs and turning each other?

2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Ha. And of course its not a 'nice' car either. Not nice at all. It'd be a lot of fun to ride down the street with it though.

Aside: looking at it I still can't figure out why the wheels are arranged the way they are. Do they operate like gears? The grooves on the tyres acting like cogs and turning each other?

I believe they can be rotated.  Not sure though, but may be to replace one that has been damaged without stopping on to use the wheels themselves to "grab" rough terrain, hills, rocks, etc.

7 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I believe they can be rotated.  Not sure though, but may be to replace one that has been damaged without stopping on to use the wheels themselves to "grab" rough terrain, hills, rocks, etc.

Yep, I believe it's the same sort of principle as this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/29/2014 at 1:03 AM, slaytonf said:

So there you are, blithely watching something--a movie, or TV show, or something, all unsuspecting, and someone drives up, and gets out, and--wait a minute. . . .you can't help saying to yourself:  That's a nice car!:

ac42my.3228.jpg

or:

120262d1242002201-emma-peels-lotus-elan-

Speaking of British tv I always dug that car used by Patrick McGoohan in the beginning sequence to The Prisoner. I think it was a Lotus Seven.

5 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

Speaking of British tv I always dug that car used by Patrick McGoohan in the beginning sequence to The Prisoner. I think it was a Lotus Seven.

Yep, it was a Lotus Seven alright, Gordie...

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

'How to Steal a Million' (Audrey Hepburn, Peter O'Toole). There may be a nice Jaguar also in this flick somewhere. I don't know what this little red number is ...MIGHTY NICE though!

How+to+steal+a+million+03.png

That looks a lot like a Nash Metropolitan.

Series_III_Hardtop.jpg

Yep, it does, but the car Audrey is driving there is an even smaller vehicle than the American-made Nash Metropolitan. It's an Italian-made Autobianchi, the model being the Eden Roc, circa the mid-'60s.

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep, it does, but the car Audrey is driving there is an even smaller vehicle than the American-made Nash Metropolitan. It's an Italian-made Autobianchi, the model being the Eden Roc, circa the mid-'60s.

To be technical, the Metropolitan was actually made in England and imported by Nash, later AMC.  The engine was made by one company and then joined with the body by another company.  It was designed by an Italian firm, but very much reflected the design of the larger Nash cars.  When Nash and Hudson merged both sold it with different badges, but everything else was the same.  Later it just became a Metropolitan.

I actually road in the "back seat" of one once when I was probably in jr. high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of nice cars, we have started watching the Dr. Blake Mysteries on PBS.  It is produced in Austrailia and is set in 1959 at the beginning.  Interesting old cars in it.  Occasionally will see an American car, but not often.