Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

16 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I have driven the AMC Eagle shown above. Same color too. Drove the AMC Gremlin, but had to draw the line at driving John Denver's AMC Pacer.

My Granny had a Rambler Rebel.

Mechanics hated these cars.

Here is my favorite car:

nypd.jpg.7666d0493a20f0e713f9742a4ec57a3d.jpg

One of the few movies with Adam Sandler I liked (GROWN UPS) also had a favorite LINE from him in the scene when KEVIN JAMES pulls up in his little "smart car" and Sandler's character says, "hey, look!  Eric drove up here in his PIGGY BANK!"  :D 

It really wasn't until the company was going out of business that I finally got around to calling them AMC.  Till then, they were always RAMBLER to me.  ;)

I also, back in '72, had a '63 RAMBLER CLASSIC I drove back and forth to work in, leaving the more reliable newer car for the wife to use.  That Rambler's OIL LIGHT didn't bother to light up with it's warning until TWO SECONDS before it seized up while I was doing 70mph on I-75 one day.  :angry:

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On March 8, 2019 at 6:07 AM, TheCid said:

If that were true, GM would never have created the Chevy Blazer.  Regardless, the experts consider the Jeep station wagon as the "granddaddy" of the SUV.   Time for you to concede the point.  The Suburban of the 30's-60's was a working vehicle and marketed as a truck with an enclosed body that could carry passengers.

Experts?  Experts?  I don't need no stinking experts.  I grew up in that time.  I grew up in the Great Washed, the greatest Great Washed of 'em all.  I know what went on, and I know what people thought of the different vehicles.

14 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Experts?  Experts?  I don't need no stinking experts.  I grew up in that time.  I grew up in the Great Washed, the greatest Great Washed of 'em all.  I know what went on, and I know what people thought of the different vehicles.

I also grew up in that period, have an extensive library of automotive history books and long-time subscriber to two classic car magazines.

Sgt_Markoff's advice:  "Good debate between both you guys. Exemplary car knowledge. Break clean and back to your corners! We've all benefited from the points you've raised."  Maybe time for us to follow it.

2 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Fargo?

I have searched images of that movie and can find no similar scenes. It is also that the wood chipper seems to be of a different design and the model of hearse is not represented. It is quite possible that my Google-Fu is letting me down miserably. I can think of no other movie which it might be.

I was so teasing. The image is hilarious. I agree with LawrenceA. Never seen (naturally) a hearse with clear windows. Cheeky? Maybe. Adorable and cute? Yes! The grill looks like a Volvo. Looked up GoogleFu. It is a real phrase. Learn something new everyday.

I suspect some of the 'nice car' fans are getting tweaked with this detour by now.

What I do love the most about old cars was the simplicity. I do know some of the clever hiding places for the gas cap. Under the license plate. Behind the left tail light.

I know as much about cars as Noir. So I segue to this. Today Noir Alley returns.

Show me your best Noir Car. I expect the usual suspects to start this off.

• Like 1

I am truly of two minds concerning it. I first thought and accepted it as a simple photograph. Later thought has led to questions because the image quality is what one might expect of a screen-capture of a good freeze-frame of a movie playing on a computer. It is also that the hearse is slightly atypical in being so tall. I have seen similar used only for prominent people where the procession is a part of the public viewing. It seems incongruous to have such an aloof vehicle towing a chipper through the countryside. It seems to me odd that a hearse would even be fitted with a towing hitch. It might fit well into the plot of a movie.

I truly would be more comfortable if this was an image from a movie rather than a real thing.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

But I also can't tell if you already knew this and were just being cheeky. 

I believe that it is at all times a fairly good bet that I am being cheeky to some extent.

• Haha 1

That is the cropped image which appears in a meme with the tag: "Apparently there is a new choice next to a burial or cremation."

I have tried to trace the image to its source but have sadly been unsuccessful. I am still hoping that it was in a movie.

Entirely possible that someone purchased a used hearse for another business.  Not likely, but have seen hearses converted to personal vehicles.  Or perhaps the mortuary also owns the cemetery and needed to chip some limbs and such?

Uj35qXN.jpg

• Like 1

Um.  I don't understand.  Butanyway, it's nice to get back to nice cars.  Apropos of Trafic (1971):

i008364.jpg

It's a Siata Spring 850.  'Course, the way François drives it is a good part of the niceness.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Um.  I don't understand.  Butanyway, it's nice to get back to nice cars.  Apropos of Trafic (1971):

i008364.jpg

It's a Siata Spring 850.  'Course, the way François drives it is a good part of the niceness.

I think the image may not load properly on his computer or something. It looks fine to me though. Also yes, that car is very nice. Very funny scene with Tati trying to calm her and tell her that her dog isn't dead but only making it worse and worse. :lol: