Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slaytonf

That's a nice car!

"Yes, you meant to say you hate it when people think they are posting a nice picture, or a picture of a nice car, and all we get are two people watching TV in a camper."

Hell, as you can( or at least should) see, I don't even get THAT!  :angry:

Sepiatone

Some good souls are generous enough to post episodes of the UK version of Antiques Roadshow on YouTube (it's a YT channel, so you can view it without qualms).  This is not to be confused with the Antiques Road Trip show I've posted cars from.  A recent show from Bristol featured a car I'd never heard of before, the Bristol 400:

spaceout.gifspaceout.gifbristol-400-820x547.jpg

I think I'm in love.

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Some good souls are generous enough to post episodes of the UK version of Antiques Roadshow on YouTube (it's a YT channel, so you can view it without qualms).  This is not to be confused with the Antiques Road Trip show I've posted cars from.  A recent show from Bristol featured a car I'd never heard of before, the Bristol 400:

spaceout.gifspaceout.gifbristol-400-820x547.jpg

I think I'm in love.

Nice looking car alright slayton, but as I looked it over here I started thinking it reminded me an awful lot of another car of a slightly earlier vintage, especially around the grill area...the split kidney-shaped grill.

And so then googling "Bristol 400", I discovered the reason why it reminded of that earlier made car.

After WWII, the Bristol aircraft company decided to go into the car biz, and one of their very first models was the Bristol 400, and which was very much just a copy of a prewar BMW 327 series like this one here...

BMW-327-Coupe-1622_7.jpg

(...yep, as they say, "To the victors go the spoils")

• Like 1

Kinda invites too many stupid jokes, eh?   Like....

To pull a "hole shot" you have to "Bristol Stomp" the gas, and to stop you need to "Bristol Stomp" the brake!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

20 hours ago, Dargo said:

BMW-327-Coupe-1622_7.jpg

(...yep, as they say, "To the victors go the spoils")

They had the Bristol 400 manufacturer's son on the program talking about it.  Though I hate to admit it, I have to hand it to the germans, copying a design that hadn't even been created yet.

• Haha 1

Joel McRae needs to be perched on that running board in a rainstorm

43 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Joel McRae needs to be perched on that running board in a rainstorm

That's a mighty thin running board for Joel to stand on there, wouldn't ya say Sarge?!

In fact, I would think something more along the line of, say, this 1936 Bentley with a MUCH wider running board would be a safer one for Joel to perch on during a rainstorm...

1483977687-6953-1936corsicafrontthreerai 

(...and just like the car that Joel actually DOES perch on while George Sanders is driving it during that rainstorm in the film Foreign Correspondent) ;)

• Haha 1

When 'wider', 'safer' running boards came into vogue, it spelled the end of the thriller genre :)

• Haha 1

From the UK TV series Danger Man (or Secret Agent, as known here in the US):

1955 Jaguar XK 140 Roadster:

i017016.jpg

If that's what you get for being a secret agent, sign me up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been watching the Dr. Blake series from Australia which is set in late 50's/early 60's.  The cars are very interesting as they are obviously Australian or British for the most part, but you can definitely see the American influence.  Hardtops, two tone paint, small fins, etc.  Recent episode was set in 1960 and the newspaper reporter stated she had seen someone leaving in a green Studebaker.  That would probably narrow the list very carefully.  While Studebakers had been sold in Australia for a long time, usually in small numbers - few hundred each year.

From the Antiques Road Trip front, the 1066 Jaguar Mark II:

jaguar%20mk%20ii%20001_8111.jpg

I seem to be favoring Jaguars.  I'm ok with that.

9 hours ago, slaytonf said:

From the Antiques Road Trip front, the 1066 Jaguar Mark II:

jaguar%20mk%20ii%20001_8111.jpg

I seem to be favoring Jaguars.  I'm ok with that.

Yes, a "1066" Jaguar Mark II.

And with THIS fine example of the marque shown above being the very automobile initially purchased by William the Conqueror as a gift to himself for his then recent victory at the Battle of Hastings and subsequent conquest of England.

(...sorry slayton, just couldn't resist) ;)

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yes, a "1066" Jaguar Mark II.

And with THIS fine example of the marque shown above being the very automobile initially purchased by William the Conqueror as a gift to himself for his then recent victory at the Battle of Hastings and subsequent conquest of England.

(...sorry slayton, just couldn't resist) ;)

Oops!  Well, if you leave a door open, you should expect people to walk through it.  

• Like 1

When I was younger and dumber, I wanted a Spitfire.  Great name, beautiful design and a British sports car.  Fortunately never bought one as they were not very dependable and mechanical/electrical nightmares.

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

When I was younger and dumber, I wanted a Spitfire.  Great name, beautiful design and a British sports car.  Fortunately never bought one as they were not very dependable and mechanical/electrical nightmares.

I agree with you on the electrical but not the mechanical You can fix pretty much everything on it with a 3/8, 7/16,1/2, 9/16, and 5/8 inch wrenches/sockets a Phillips and a regular screwdriver. That's it. 

I rebuilt the one in the photo twice. The first time when we babied it to home to Montana from Spokane Washington in 1986 it was ten years old had 79,000 on the odometer and had belonged to a doctor. It was originally a California vehicle. It was leaking oil out of the valve cover gasket. I pulled the motor stripped the block had it hot tanked at a machine shop and put in new rings and bearings drove it hard. So a hand full of 9 years later I got it up to 97 MPH the oil pump sort of crapped out and starved the rings so I had to do a second rebuilt. some of the pistons got screwed up so I had to drive to Spokane, Washington to check wrecking yards to see if I could find some pistons, I found some that came off a MG Midget MKIV they were using the same 1493b cc engine. 

So I rebuilt it again with a new oil pump pistons, rings, bearings this was sometime in 1996 so had it all rebuilt but was moving back to New York. Got a 24 U-haul truck put all the furniture and boxes etc., etc., into the front of the U-haul truck drove it to a loading dock with a ramp and drove the Triumph in with a bit of room to spare. Then we hitched a 16 ft trailer to the truck drove the Toyota 4 runner onto it and headed to New York. From 1996 until now it's pretty much been in storage. I'd take it out for a spin every couple pf weeks. Three or four miles into town and back at most from May to October so maybe 10 miles a month so 70-100 a year up until three years ago. So that's maybe 1900 miles on a rebuilt engine.

The last three years haven't driven it started it a few times but that is it. Been working on it the last month, the battery was dead, the clutch master cylinder was froze the zenith-stromberg carb was leaking. So I ordered a carb kit a clutch kit a new sending unit for the gas tank. Rebuilt the carb and put it on. something was wrong it would idle but no power. Something was botched up. took off the dashpot cover unbolted the air valve and after a couple of wildass guesses figured out it was in the wrong way  Turned it 180 and put it all together and now it purrs like a kitten and accelerates. 

Got the clutch master cylinder soaking in some stuff, we'll see if I can free it or have to buy a new unit. Still got to change the fuel tank sending unit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

I agree with you on the electrical but not the mechanical You can fix pretty much everything on it with a 3/8, 7/16,1/2, 9/16, and 5/8 inch wrenches/sockets a Phillips and a regular screwdriver. That's it. 

I rebuilt the one in the photo twice. The first time when we babied it to home to Montana from Spokane Washington in 1986 it was ten years old had 79,000 on the odometer and had belonged to a doctor. It was originally a California vehicle. It was leaking oil out of the valve cover gasket. I pulled the motor stripped the block had it hot tanked at a machine shop and put in new rings and bearings drove it hard. So a hand full of 9 years later I got it up to 97 MPH the oil pump sort of crapped out and starved the rings so I had to do a second rebuilt. some of the pistons got screwed up so I had to drive to Spokane, Washington to check wrecking yards to see if I could find some pistons, I found some that came off a MG Midget MKIV they were using the same 1493b cc engine. 

So I rebuilt it again with a new oil pump pistons, rings, bearings this was sometime in 1996 so had it all rebuilt but was moving back to New York. Got a 24 U-haul truck put all the furniture and boxes etc., etc., into the front of the U-haul truck drove it to a loading dock with a ramp and drove the Triumph in with a bit of room to spare. Then we hitched a 16 ft trailer to the truck drove the Toyota 4 runner onto it and headed to New York. From 1996 until now it's pretty much been in storage. I'd take it out for a spin every couple pf weeks. Three or four miles into town and back at most from May to October so maybe 10 miles a month so 70-100 a year up until three years ago. So that's maybe 1900 miles on a rebuilt engine.

The last three years haven't driven it started it a few times but that is it. Been working on it the last month, the battery was dead, the clutch master cylinder was froze the zenith-stromberg carb was leaking. So I ordered a carb kit a clutch kit a new sending unit for the gas tank. Rebuilt the carb and put it on. something was wrong it would idle but no power. Something was botched up. took off the dashpot cover unbolted the air valve and after a couple of wildass guesses figured out it was in the wrong way  Turned it 180 and put it all together and now it purrs like a kitten and accelerates. 

Got the clutch master cylinder soaking in some stuff, we'll see if I can free it or have to buy a new unit. Still got to change the fuel tank sending unit. 

Thanks for saving a piece of history and congratulations on owning it, but seems you have done a lot of mechanical work on it.  Of course, most of it probably related to not being driven enough.