Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
slaytonf

That's a nice car!

Recommended Posts

On 10/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, cigarjoe said:

mrs cigarjoe and her LBC

JN489sF.jpg

Wow-don't know what's prettiest-the car, the mountains or the gal! Woot!

Cinema's Best car is Harold's Jag-Hearse:

harold-and-maude-jaguar-xke-hearse.jpg?w

I realized watching this movie yet again, this car would be a super easy one to craft-you just extend the back bumper an extra foot and attach the back sheet metal "box" roof and window.

MrTiki has been looking at old Jags of this vintage. If he finds one I'll betcha we have it made into one of these.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, cigarjoe said:

mrs cigarjoe and her LBC

JN489sF.jpg

h5WH5vt.jpg

76 Spitfire¬†ūüėé

What's an LBC?  I remember one of the TV ads for the Spitfire.  Had the car and a beautiful woman in front of a Spitfie fighter.  Don't remember the tag line exactly, but something to the effect that you not only get the car and the girl, but a piece of history as well.   Don Draper probably wrote it.

Anyway, both are exceptionally nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow-don't know what's prettiest-the car, the mountains or the gal! Woot!

Cinema's Best car is Harold's Jag-Hearse:

harold-and-maude-jaguar-xke-hearse.jpg?w

I realized watching this movie yet again, this car would be a super easy one to craft-you just extend the back bumper an extra foot and attach the back sheet metal "box" roof and window.

MrTiki has been looking at old Jags of this vintage. If he finds one I'll betcha we have it made into one of these.

Seems you like "sports wagons", eh Tiki? 

Then I'll bet you also liked the Volvo P1800 ES here too, right?...

1973-volvo-p1800-es-sports-wagon.jpg

(...I always thought it one of the better done takes on the concept)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Then I'll bet you also liked the Volvo P1800 ES here too, right?

Oh yes yes yes! Swedish Academic Mobile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

Little British Car

When I got my first sports car (1978?), I was looking at Alfa Romeo (very, very undependable), MGB, TR7 and Fiat 124 Spider.  Went with the Fiat and it was fairly reliable for the few years I had it.  Worked with a guy who had MG's and liked them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dargo said:

 

1973-volvo-p1800-es-sports-wagon.jpg

 

Oooo. . . .fins. . .thas nice!

 

Sadly, according to IMCDB, one had never been in a movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TheCid said:

Went with the Fiat and it was fairly reliable for the few years I had it.  Worked with a guy who had MG's and liked them.

My bf bought me a purple Fiat (to match my hair) for my first car. I never learned to drive that stick so it ended up his car anyway. I've only spoken to him ONCE in 40 years and the car was the main topic of conversation-he has a restored one now, most likely not purple.

My Dad had a teeny MG convertible for awhile, we called it "The Green Bug" I loved it but it rode like a tin can. 

I'm going to show Mr Tiki that Volvo and suggest we buy one of those, tart it up with subtle hints of hearse elements and use it as our "touring" car, for the 2 big dogs to ride in the back coffin area. Way more practical than going the authentic Jag Hearse route. (although the thought of having a 12 cyl engine Jag appeals to me)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'm going to show Mr Tiki that Volvo and suggest we buy one of those, tart it up with subtle hints of hearse elements and use it as our "touring" car, for the 2 big dogs to ride in the back coffin area. Way more practical than going the authentic Jag Hearse route. (although the thought of having a 12 cyl engine Jag appeals to me)

My attempt to learn whether a photograph of a hearse towing a wood chipper was a simple photograph or was a still from a movie led me into the realm of used funerary automobiles. 

I found that Volvo is a very respected brand¬†for hearses in UK and Japan. I learned also that the price for a used one is considerably¬†less than it is for an unconverted model.¬†This dealer¬†has at this moment a 2007 and two¬†2008¬†for less than ‚ā¨3000 each. They are all low mileage with no apparent accident damage.

I found in my searching also that one chap purchased a similar one and modified the large windows with press-on rubber strips to make them look as if they are three normal-sized windows. He had made also custom badges identifying the vehicle as "Estate Wagon".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

My bf bought me a purple Fiat (to match my hair) for my first car. I never learned to drive that stick so it ended up his car anyway. I've only spoken to him ONCE in 40 years and the car was the main topic of conversation-he has a restored one now, most likely not purple.

My Dad had a teeny MG convertible for awhile, we called it "The Green Bug" I loved it but it rode like a tin can. 

I'm going to show Mr Tiki that Volvo and suggest we buy one of those, tart it up with subtle hints of hearse elements and use it as our "touring" car, for the 2 big dogs to ride in the back coffin area. Way more practical than going the authentic Jag Hearse route. (although the thought of having a 12 cyl engine Jag appeals to me)

It was probably an MG Midget - very small.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Just a quick post from A Star is Born (1937).  Duesenberg Model J:

5650377-duesenberg-model-j-convertible-c

Yeah, that sure is a nice lookin' car alright, slayton.

In fact, I might even call it "a real Dusey" of car if I were one inclined to go for the easy and obvious pun, and WHICH as I'm sure you know, I'm not. Riiiiiight. ;)

(...ya know, I THINK I once ALSO saw a car JUST like this one used in a heist movie!) 

LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

From the Antiques Road Trip front.  A 1964 MGB:

1971-MG-MGB-import-classics--Car-1012401

 

Ah yes, those older MGB's with the chrome bumpers always looked so much better than the later ones with the plastic bumpers in order to comply with U.S. Govt crash test requirements after 1974, didn't they.

(...and as you might know slayton, they're also worth quite a bit more than the later ones too in the present collector car market)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Hey! that's doable!

Just be sure the car or cars you might be interested in, first, don't have excessively high miles on their odometers (over say 70K miles plus) and/or have been completely restored from the ground up. And with the MGB model being fairly ubiquitous and thus seldom attaining any high dollar amounts because of it, and thus completely restoring one to a new original condition not being a cost-effective enterprise in most cases, the chances of finding one of those would be pretty slim and probably about the highest in price you'll come across.

And secondly and if at all possible, the car or cars have spent their entire lives in California, Arizona, Texas or some other state where salt isn't used on the roads in winter. 

(...nice lookin' little car alright...for many years back in the 1980s, I owned a direct competitor to the MGB...the Fiat 124 Sport Spider)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Dang!  I was thinking of getting one.  How much for one in decent shape?

There is currently a 1971 daily-driver level one on auction at: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-mg-mgb-gt-8/

This page: https://bringatrailer.com/mg/mgb/ shows historical price range of their auctions for the make and shows past auctions of various years and models.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone watch THE BIG PICTURE 1989? I loved the little convertible jalopy Kevin Bacon drove around Hollywood. Can anyone ID it? It seemed to me it might be a Nash Metropolitan, but I'm no expert. Anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Dang!  I was thinking of getting one.  How much for one in decent shape?

Be very careful.  Some good advice above, but European, especially British, cars from that era are notorious for problems.  Depending on where you live, it may be difficult to get them worked on.  You may want to search and see if there is an English/British owners club in your area and talk with them.

May also want to visit your local Books-A-Million or Barnes & Nobel and peruse the car magazines.  There are several that feature cars for sales as well as articles on restoration, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Did anyone watch THE BIG PICTURE 1989? I loved the little convertible jalopy Kevin Bacon drove around Hollywood. Can anyone ID it? It seemed to me it might be a Nash Metropolitan, but I'm no expert. Anyone?

I didn't catch the movie Tiki, but here's the webpage for that movie at the IMDb car identifier site. Do you see it among the shots here?

https://www.imcdb.org/m96926.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

34 seconds into this trailer------  is THAT the car?   I don't think it's a Nash Metropolitan.  That car is the 2nd clip...

I think what you're referring to is the '81 Porsche 911.........   Not the car below.

 

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dargo said:

I didn't catch the movie Tiki, but here's the webpage for that movie at the IMDb car identifier site. Do you see it among the shots here?

Nope. They show all his cars except the "one". It's his jalopy before his success, it looks like a Nash Metropolitan. In the trailer Sepia posted above, it's shown briefly at the 1:23 mark, paralel parked & Bacon jumps into it.

Sheesh, I'm insulted you'd think I'd mistake a Porche for a Nash. (although I'd be thrilled to own either) I just wanted a positive ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...