Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

38 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Nope. They show all his cars except the "one". It's his jalopy before his success, it looks like a Nash Metropolitan. In the trailer Sepia posted above, it's shown briefly at the 1:23 mark, paralel parked & Bacon jumps into it.

Sheesh, I'm insulted you'd think I'd mistake a Porche for a Nash. (although I'd be thrilled to own either) I just wanted a positive ID.

I believe the one shown in that clip at that mark is the black-over-white 1954 Nash Metropolitan 1200 (541).  https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_6451-Nash-Metropolitan-541-1954.html

Qy2sbV2.jpg

J3Pyc2G.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I stand corrected.  Thanks.

But as I haven't seen the movie for 30 years, the car(s) he drove were long forgotten.  Along with most of the movie.

Sepiatone

I not only remember a few neighbors having one of those little Nash's,  I also remember seeing THESE tooling 'round my town!   -------------- I must've been around 5 or 6  B)

• Like 1

Heh, I used to work with a guy who collected 3 wheel cars. He also collected Willys, full size fire trucks and had one of these:

1961-Von-Dutch-Rocket-Car-front-three-qu

At least it looked like that, although I remember a windshield. I had to drive him 100 miles to the boonies to pick up some part for it. The guy who was selling the part lived in a geodesic dome house. Compared to those eccentrics, I'm just a plain Jane.

I would very much love one of these:

OIJOjmN.jpg

1965 Autobianchi Eden Roc in: How to Steal a Million (1966).

I love the idea of having Peter O'Toole's 1965 Jaguar E-Type from that movie but I fear it may have Lucas electrical system (the three position Lucas switch: Dim, Flicker and Off).

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I would very much love one of these:

OIJOjmN.jpg

1965 Autobianchi Eden Roc in: How to Steal a Million (1966).

I love the idea of having Peter O'Toole's 1965 Jaguar E-Type from that movie but I fear it may have Lucas electrical system (the three position Lucas switch: Dim, Flicker and Off).

Had a friend in the 70's who had an E-Type.  It set in the garage for months at a time waiting for parts from England.  Last time was four months (kid you not) for some part for the brakes.  His "real" car was a 1960's Mustang.

Well, once again, as that old joke goes:

Why do the British drink warm beer? Because their refrigerators are made by...

Lucus-and-Oscar-001.jpg

• Haha 3
On 1/8/2020 at 7:02 AM, TheCid said:

Be very careful.  Some good advice above, but European, especially British, cars from that era are notorious for problems.  Depending on where you live, it may be difficult to get them worked on.  You may want to search and see if there is an English/British owners club in your area and talk with them.

May also want to visit your local Books-A-Million or Barnes & Nobel and peruse the car magazines.  There are several that feature cars for sales as well as articles on restoration, etc.

Now there is doubt.  The simple esprit of happy motoring through the Cuyamacas or Lagunas is now underlain with sickly worry about ordeals of repairs and costs.  (Sigh).  Perhaps I was naive .

9 hours ago, slaytonf said:

The simple esprit of happy motoring through the Cuyamacas or Lagunas is now underlain with sickly worry about ordeals of repairs and costs.  (Sigh).  Perhaps I was naive .

The only good thing is if you can find a good mechanic, vintage cars are pretty simple mechanically. That's why most people who own them fix them at home. It is finding parts that is often the difficulty, which is why most people stick with common cars like a Mustang over the unique ones like the Metropolitan. 

It's the same logic I had when buying a pinball machine-my old mechanical may not have all the bells & whistles, but it's much simpler to fix than a later "digital" machine.

My mechanic in Rochester WILD WHEELS had the best slogan ever, "Torque Of The Town" 

• Like 2

I'm becoming aware of my fickle nature.  I started out hankering for a Triumph TR6.  Then when I saw people tooling around the English countryside in a  60s MGB, my affection switched to that.  But with a new series of Antiques Road Trip, my attention is focused on a 1968 Lotus Elan:

51NR-14TK-L._AC_.jpg

Isn't it lovely?  Thing is, before we were talking about prices generally south of $10,000.  Now it's north.  Hm.  But what's more mod than that?

10 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I'm becoming aware of my fickle nature.  I started out hankering for a Triumph TR6.  Then when I saw people tooling around the English countryside in a  60s MGB, my affection switched to that.  But with a new series of Antiques Road Trip, my attention is focused on a 1968 Lotus Elan:

51NR-14TK-L._AC_.jpg

Isn't it lovely?  Thing is, before we were talking about prices generally south of $10,000.  Now it's north.  Hm.  But what's more mod than that?

I was thinking of getting a TR-6 and then discovered the Fiat 124 Spider.

When I was in Vietnam, you could order cars from the PX and they had a catalog.  Came very, very close to getting a Jaguar XKE and even considered the Lotus (it was cheaper).  Catalog was the first time I ever heard of Lotus Elan.  Both were "fairly inexpensive" due to no import duties and other incentives from US government.  However, I lived in a small town three hours from Jaguar dealer and four hours from Lotus dealer.  So, I opted to wait until I got home to get an American car.  '71 Dodge Challenger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TheCid said:

I was thinking of getting a TR-6 and then discovered the Fiat 124 Spider.

When I was in Vietnam, you could order cars from the PX and they had a catalog.  Came very, very close to getting a Jaguar XKE and even considered the Lotus (it was cheaper).  Catalog was the first time I ever heard of Lotus Elan.  Both were "fairly inexpensive" due to no import duties and other incentives from US government.  However, I lived in a small town three hours from Jaguar dealer and four hours from Lotus dealer.  So, I opted to wait until I got home to get an American car.  '71 Dodge Challenger.

Yep, the nice thing about the Fiat 124 Spider as compared to the MGB or TR6 back in the day was that the Fiat boasted a much more modern design overall, what with it sporting a DOHC engine, disc brakes at all four corners, and a five speed gearbox.

These were all still fairly cutting edge back in '66 when Fiat introduced the model, and especially for a relatively inexpensive sports car, and was a damn good lookin' little car to boot...

Fiat_124_Spider_turquoise.jpg

(...no, this wasn't my Spider...I owned a 1977 model in black with red interior for about 10 years during the mid-'80s thru the mid-'90s, and on which I replaced the ugly post-'74 federally-mandated bumpers with ones like this from an earlier model and bolted larger 14in Panasport ultralight rims at the corners...it was a very reliable little car too for, and as another old joke went, a "Fix It Again Tony" car)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, slaytonf said:

The peak of chic.

You know, that's a great rhyme, but it doesn't look at all like it.

I assume you meant the Fiat 124 Spider not looking like the Lotus Elan, right slayton?

No, they don't, but I think they both were some of the better looking little sports cars from that era.

(...and I think you'll find any Lotus Elan in reasonably good shape and thus less likely to be a money pit, to cost quite a bit more in today's market than either a nice older Fiat Spider or MGB, and due primarily to the Lotus' much lower production numbers)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I assume you meant the Fiat 124 Spider not looking like the Lotus Elan, right slayton?

No, they don't, but I think they both were some of the better looking little sports cars from that era.

(...and I think you'll find any Lotus Elan in reasonably good shape and thus less likely to be a money pit, to cost quite a bit more in today's market than either a nice older Fiat Spider or MGB, and due primarily to the Lotus' much lower production numbers)

Cars are proliferating.  I can see there's only one thing for it.  I'll have to go around to lots of different places and drive lots of different cars to see which one I like best.  I know it's a hard road, but I'll just have to tough it out.

• Haha 2
On 1/16/2020 at 12:39 PM, Dargo said:

Yep, the nice thing about the Fiat 124 Spider as compared to the MGB or TR6 back in the day was that the Fiat boasted a much more modern design overall, what with it sporting a DOHC engine, disc brakes at all four corners, and a five speed gearbox.

These were all still fairly cutting edge back in '66 when Fiat introduced the model, and especially for a relatively inexpensive sports car, and was a damn good lookin' little car to boot...

Fiat_124_Spider_turquoise.jpg

(...no, this wasn't my Spider...I owned a 1977 model in black with red interior for about 10 years during the mid-'80s thru the mid-'90s, and on which I replaced the ugly post-'74 federally-mandated bumpers with ones like this from an earlier model and bolted larger 14in Panasport ultralight rims at the corners...it was a very reliable little car too for, and as another old joke went, a "Fix It Again Tony" car)

Mine was a red '78 with black interior.  It actually was very reliable until 1981 when it started snapping clutch cables.  Fiat dealer could not figure out why.  Not my driving as I was a conservative driver.  Fiat had pretty much abandoned US by that time.  So I traded it. 

18 hours ago, Mike1951 said:

Is it just me or does it seem like a preponderance of '50's police cars and ambulances in old shows are Nash?

They were fairly popular with law enforcement, but I think perhaps Hollywood tilted toward Nashes.  Probably a low cost or product placement deal.

19 hours ago, Mike1951 said:

Is it just me or does it seem like a preponderance of '50's police cars and ambulances in old shows are Nash?

Oh, SURE...............

I saw THE MAN WHO CHEATED HIMSELF yesterday too.  ;) Dall's character also had that "roofless" Nash model that LOIS LANE from the SUPERMAN series  also had.

Sepiatone