Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I might already have related this story; if so, my apologies.

One morning in 2018, I was walking from Washington, DC's Union Station to my office on the other side of the National Mall.  I was surprised to come upon this sight:

hva-bullitt-25a0538.jpg.affdd0f1baf9215f61e5d2114d5e6811.jpg

Yes, it's the car that Steve McQueen drove in Bullitt.  For some reason I no longer remember, it was being displayed in a plexiglass box on the Mall.  A nice surprise that definitely made my day unexpectedly more interesting!

• Like 2

As an individual, I always thought both the car and the movie's car chase were greatly overrated. And too....the movie as well. B)

Sepiatone

1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

As an individual, I always thought both the car and the movie's car chase were greatly overrated. And too....the movie as well. B)

Sepiatone

Not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the chase scenes used 3 or so Mustangs and only one Dodge Charger.  The Mustang could not hold up as well as the Charger did.

I agree both the chase scenes and the movie were greatly overrated.

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the chase scenes used 3 or so Mustangs and only one Dodge Charger.  The Mustang could not hold up as well as the Charger did.

Spoken like a true Mopar guy here, Cid. 

Yep, I also understand more than one Mustang was used in that sequence, BUT ironically only one Volkswagen Beetle was used in it and even though you see it being passed two or three times. ;)

And Sepia, you have to remember that the Bullitt chase scene broke a lot of new ground when it came to movie car chases and thus is why it is often referred to as the "Granddaddy" of them all. 

(...and personally, I can still sit and watch the movie, especially its car chase sequence, and still appreciate it anyway, and have always thought that it was THIS movie which would cement McQueen's image as the "King of Cool")

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Spoken like a true Mopar guy here, Cid. 

Yep, I also understand more than one Mustang was used in that sequence, BUT ironically only one Volkswagen Beetle was used in it and even though you see it being passed two or three times. ;)

And Sepia, you have to remember that the Bullitt chase scene broke new ground when it came to movie car chases and thus is why it is often referred to as the "Granddaddy" of them all. 

(...and personally, I can still sit and watch the movie, especially its car chase sequence, and still appreciate it anyway, and have always thought that it was THIS movie which would cement McQueen's image as the "King of Cool")

Actually my first new car was a '71 Dodge Challenger.  I had checked out the '71 Mustang, but it was just another bloated Ford by this time.

4 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Actually my first new car was a '71 Dodge Challenger.  I had checked out the '71 Mustang, but it was just another bloated Ford by this time.

Yep, good point, Cid. Starting in '69, the Mustangs began getting pretty big for a pony car, alright. I agree.

My favorites were and still are the original '65-'66 models. In the late-'70s for a short time I owned a very tired '65 convertible. I've always wanted to own a GT350, or even just a fastback clone of one, but never have.

(...btw and lemme guess here...your purchase of that '71 Challenger was also partially prompted by watching Barry Newman driving one in Vanishing Point back then, right?!) ;)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, good point, Cid. Starting in '69, the Mustangs began getting pretty big for a pony car, alright. I agree.

My favorites were and still are the original '65-'66 models. In the late-'70s for a short time I owned a very tired '65 convertible. I've always wanted to own a GT350, or even just a fastback clone of one, but never have.

(...btw and lemme guess here...your purchase of that '71 Challenger was also partially prompted by watching Barry Newman driving one in Vanishing Point back then, right?!) ;)

Funny you should mention Vanishing Point.  I actually purchased the car before I saw the movie.  I did purchase the DVD a few years back.  Mine had a 318 V8 whereas his was a '70 R/T with a 440 engine.  Second worst car I ever owned.  Actually they used five cars for the movie.   

One interesting aspect that I have noticed watching movies over the years is that Chrysler products show up in a lot of movies.  Apparently Chrysler rented cars to Hollywood movie makers for a dollar a day.  Chrysler loaned five Challengers to VP for the publicity value.

Ironically, about the time VP wrapped up and headed for distribution, the pony car business began to die.  Insurance companies had skyrocketed the costs due to lots of accident claims and young guys could no longer afford them.  I think '73 was last year for Challenger and '70 was first year.  Looked a lot like Barracuda, but was actually 6" longer and somewhat better equipped. 

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Funny you should mention Vanishing Point.  I actually purchased the car before I saw the movie.  I did purchase the DVD a few years back.  Mine had a 318 V8 whereas his was a '70 R/T with a 440 engine.  Second worst car I ever owned.  Actually they used five cars for the movie.   

One interesting aspect that I have noticed watching movies over the years is that Chrysler products show up in a lot of movies.  Apparently Chrysler rented cars to Hollywood movie makers for a dollar a day.  Chrysler loaned five Challengers to VP for the publicity value.

Ironically, about the time VP wrapped up and headed for distribution, the pony car business began to die.  Insurance companies had skyrocketed the costs due to lots of accident claims and young guys could no longer afford them.  I think '73 was last year for Challenger and '70 was first year.  Looked a lot like Barracuda, but was actually 6" longer and somewhat better equipped. 

Yep, and as you know, the Pony/Muscle Car Wars would also come to an end because of the mandated emission controls then being implemented and also because of the Arab Oil Embargo of '73.

The only Mopar I ever owned was a '69 Chrysler Newport that I purchased from my father around 1980 and right after owning the aforementioned '65 Mustang Convertible. I bought it from him  because  I had purchased a waterski boat and needed something to tow it behind. It had a 383 under the hood and had no problem towing it. The Newport never gave me a lick of problems the four or five years that I owned it, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of nice cars recently.  The Black Stallion (1979), boasts a parade of 'em in the nighttime rainstorm ride.  The best include a 1934 Lincoln KA:

1934_Lincoln_ModelKA1.jpg

A 1930 Packard Deluxe Eight:

1930-1932-packard-eight-1.jpg

A 1939 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Town Car:

ebay861414.jpg

And from the Antiques Road Trip front, a Jaguar XJS convertible, circa 1987, and red, too:

ebay763269.jpg

Yum.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I'm sure someone already mentioned Bullitt.

Wasn't there a movie with a car called  Genevieve?

The Great Race (lots of old cars)

Of course, James Bond's Astin Martin (sp?)

I like the cars in a lot of the older films (e.g., gangster films and even the car in Topper (original).

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

That Buick in the beginning of REVEILLE WITH BEVERLY on ANN MILLER day was pretty nice!  Of curse too, was ANN!  ;) 

Sepiatone

I missed watching that movie during Ann Miller's SUTS day, Sepia. And so, this Buick you mentioned here, would it have perhaps been GM's master car stylist and VP in charge of their future designs at the time Harley Earl's 1940 dream car dubbed the "Y-Job" here?...

1200px-1939_..._Harley_Earl_and_%22The_Y

• Thanks 1

Now, you know for some strange reason I can't see some of the images posted on this site.  But doing a search of "1939 Buick Y-job" turned up some images that certainly looked like the car!  ;) 

Sepiatone

18 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Now, you know for some strange reason I can't see some of the images posted on this site.  But doing a search of "1939 Buick Y-job" turned up some images that certainly looked like the car!  ;) 

Sepiatone

After just now going to the IMCDb (cars in movies) website, I found there was a page for the Y-Job, although it's listed there as "1938"..

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=Buick&model=Y-Job&modelMatch=1&modelInclModel=on

However, it doesn't list the Ann Miller movie as being featured in it.

(...although this wouldn't mean it wasn't the car you saw in that film, of course...in the past I've noticed a few instances where I've recognized a particular car in some film, but upon checking it out at this website it wasn't listed either)

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Btw Sepia, you might be interested in watching this episode of Jay Leno's Garage which features the Y-Job...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Those squarish steering wheels were an oddity too, eh?

Sepiatone

I think more than one company tried something similar on some cars.  It was supposed to make it easier to see out the windshield and to see the instruments.  From what I remember and have seen, they weren't very popular in the long run.

• Like 1