Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

MUCK;  Welcome to the boards.  Tell ya the truth, those fine lookin' old automobiles are one reason I like watching some of those "classics".  And please stick around.  New blood with possibly new movie perceptions are always welcome.  And hopefully, we (I mostly) hope you'll convince your brother MIRE to join the fray!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

Nice that newbie MUCK brought all this up.  I've been meaning to get in here to ask if anyone can tell me about that tiny car that JEAN ARTHUR gets a ride in (to work I'm guessing) in THE MORE THE MERRIER.   That looks so cool!  

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Nice that newbie MUCK brought all this up.  I've been meaning to get in here to ask if anyone can tell me about that tiny car that JEAN ARTHUR gets a ride in (to work I'm guessing) in THE MORE THE MERRIER.   That looks so cool!  

Sepiatone

The Fiat 500 here is sort of the ancestor of the current Fiat 500 sold in USA until 2019.

The unusual little car Connie's friends drive is a 1936 Fiat 500A Topolino. 'Topolino' means 'little mouse' in Italian, and the car was very rare in the USA.

IMCDb.org: 1936 Fiat 500 A Topolino in "The More the Merrier, 1943"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I spotted a 67 Ford Stang the other day that was painted a bizarro teal blue that I have a feeling is not a factory color.  But she sure was purty. 

Actually Janet, if the Mustang you saw looked like this...

1967_00071_04.jpg

...it was a stock color for that year. FoMoCo named it "Frost Turquoise".

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

MUCK;  Welcome to the boards.  Tell ya the truth, those fine lookin' old automobiles are one reason I like watching some of those "classics".  And please stick around.  New blood with possibly new movie perceptions are always welcome.  And hopefully, we (I mostly) hope you'll convince your brother MIRE to join the fray!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

"Your brother MIRE", eh Sepia?!

(...geesh, and here I thought my earlier "(running)boards", "older model slaytonf" and "don't be a tire-kicker and stick around for a while" was bad!) 

;)

LOL

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

1967_00071_04.jpg

Hmm... I'll let you know if I see it again in my travels.

21 hours ago, ElCid said:

The Fiat 500 here is sort of the ancestor of the current Fiat 500 sold in USA until 2019.

The unusual little car Connie's friends drive is a 1936 Fiat 500A Topolino. 'Topolino' means 'little mouse' in Italian, and the car was very rare in the USA.

IMCDb.org: 1936 Fiat 500 A Topolino in "The More the Merrier, 1943"

Rare in the U.S.A.?  No doubt.  "Topolino" means "little mouse" in Italian?   Ha!  I though for SURE it would be....(wait for it!)---------  :D

Sepiatone

• Haha 2
45 minutes ago, muck said:

Most,  probably made into "gassers" or "altereds" since the '50's.

Which cars would you be referring to here, muck?

If you might have been referring to the original Fiat 500, I do rarely but occasionally see a few of them tooling around my area here in northern AZ, but every one of them has been restored to near bone-stock original condition.

(...and like the few of its British-made equivilent type of vehicle that I also rarely but occasionally spot out there...the original Austin Mini and Mini Coopers)

10 minutes ago, muck said:

There are a few "topolinos" regularly racing at my local "Dragaway". Heavily modified, huge, powerful engines, Very fast!

There are many more Fiat 500s dragracing worldwide.

Didn't know this. Interesting. Was always more into road course racing than any other kind. 

With such a short wheelbase, I'll bet THOSE babies wheelie pretty darn easily, eh?!

(...btw, being more into the road course type of racing, could be the reason I'd come to purchase a Beck replica Porsche 550 Spyder some 13 years ago when I retired from the airlines...still have it...it's fun as hell in the twisty mountain roads around here...I think there's a picture of it and me posted in one of the earliest pages of slayton's thread here)

Slaton, Great photo but I thought Dargo meant "AFTER  I retired from the airlines" .

Dargo;  I spent many of my teens & twentys summers volunteering at SCCA meets at Road America, as a corner worker. Watching out for those guys and teams, thrashing the real cars of that era like yours, I envied their circumstance. Thanks for reviving those memories!

• Like 1

My stepsister Carolyn had a Fiat 500 in the mid '60's( not sure of the year model) and I thought it was kinda funny looking in a cute way.  My stepfather(her Dad) quipped;  "Is that thing the spare you keep in the trunk?"  :D  But she always swore by it's quality as a dependable car.

Sepiatone

Are you referencing the CAR?  Or----

fiat

noun

Definition of fiat

1: a command or act of will that creates something without or as if without further effortAccording to the Bible, the world was created by fiat.

2: an authoritative determination : DICTATEa fiat of conscience
3: an authoritative or arbitrary order : DECREEgovernment by fiat

Sepiatone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 11/15/2020 at 9:45 AM, slaytonf said:

Anyone have a favorite movie Fiat?

Yeah, actually slayton, I do.

In the not very good paring of Faye Dunaway and Marcello Mastroianni in the 1968 film Amanti (aka: A Place for Lovers), Dunaway drives the following early model Fiat 124 Sport Spider all around the local roads of the Italian Alps...

i086830.jpg

(...still one of the nicest looking little convertible sports cars ever in my book...owned one for many years myself back in the day...a very good little car which I could say never "lived up" to its "Fix It Again Tony" ignoble reputation...but then again, it lived its life with me in the temperate climes of Southern California, and whereas I've heard most other Fiat Spiders of this vintage owned by people in much more cold and snowier climes, would have many rust issues with theirs)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, actually slayton, I do.

In the not very good paring of Faye Dunaway and Marcello Mastroianni in the 1968 film Amanti (aka: A Place for Lovers), Dunaway drives the following early model Fiat 124 Sport Spider all around the local roads of the Italian Alps...

i086830.jpg

(...still one of the nicest looking little convertible sports cars ever in my book...owned one for many years myself back in the day...a very good little car which I could say never "lived up" to its "Fix It Again Tony" ignoble reputation...but then again, it lived its life with me in the temperate climes of Southern California, and whereas I've heard most other Fiat Spiders of this vintage owned by people in much more cold and snowier climes, would have many rust issues with theirs)

Think I mentioned before that I had one of these, '78, red of course.  Kept it almost four years until it began to snap the clutch cable every every 5-6,000 miles or so.  Dealer never could figure out what was wrong and Fiat was essentially gone from US by then.  Replaced the clutch and clutch pedal and everything between.  Nice car otherwise.

• Like 1
On 11/13/2020 at 6:49 PM, Dargo said:

1967_00071_04.jpg

Nope. It's more blue/green. It doesn't look like a stock color to me. 

On 11/14/2020 at 7:28 AM, Janet0312 said:

Hmm... I'll let you know if I see it again in my travels.

I can't stop to take a photo. The house is on a busy street. But the car looks to have been a wreck at some point and painted that weird blue/green. 

7 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I can't stop to take a photo. The house is on a busy street. But the car looks to have been a wreck at some point and painted that weird blue/green. 

But like you said Janet, not that particular color of blue/green called "Frost Turquoise" I posted a pic of earlier, eh?!

So as you recall, would the Mustang's color in your locale perhaps be a brighter or darker color than that one, or maybe more greenish than bluish?

(...heck, we'll get to the bottom of this YET!)  ;)