Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

5 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

ooooo. . . . .

What movies has that been in?  Titles, please, and maybe a pictcha from it?.

Hmmm...lemme check that there IMCDb website and see.

(...be back in a bit)

Okay, these newer 124 Spiders seem to only have appeared in something on the small screen and such as Jay Leno's Garage, Top Gear America, Motorweek and in a few foreign TV series.

(...nope, sorry...couldn't find any that might've been in a feature movie...and which I know the older ones have been in quite a few)

25 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Attention moviemakers:  Opportunity.

Yep. Hey, speaking of the older ones...

I remember watching an Italian movie on TCM years ago that I recall "starred" an older Fiat 124 Spider, although I could be wrong about this. Maybe you'd know.

The film is your coming-of-age tale. The plot consisted of a free spirit sort of guy and as I recall maybe a petty criminal also, and who picks up a more innocent sort of guy in his Spider(once again maybe) and they travel around Italy in it and while the Signor Free Spirit  teaches the younger guy to loosen up and to begin to enjoy life.  Good and entertaining movie, I might add.

(..so, any idea of the movie's title, and if the car they travel around Italy in is in fact a 124 Spider?)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...still can't believe how difficult it was to find one with a manual transmission)

Well you did it. Remember, shiny side up.....

• Thanks 1

I do know the movie.  It is Il Sorpasso (1962), with Vittorio Gassman, Jean Louis Trintignant, and Catherine Spaak (aaahhh).  Directed by Dino Risi.  It's been shown on TCM Imports.  The car in the movie is a 1956 Lancia Aurilea Convertible, and a nice car:

i003578.jpg

Comments on IMCDB note that two Lancias were used, based on differing rear lights (sheesh).

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I do know the movie.  It is Il Sorpasso (1962), with Vittorio Gassman, Jean Louis Trintignant, and Catherine Spaak (aaahhh).  Directed by Dino Risi.  It's been shown on TCM Imports.  The car in the movie is a 1956 Lancia Aurilea Convertible, and a nice car:

i003578.jpg

Comments on IMCDB note that two Lancias were used, based on differing rear lights (sheesh).

Thanks, slayton.

(...I had a feeling you'd know)

Btw, there's another Italian movie that I'm almost sure DID prominately feature one of the older 124's and which is also a road picture of sorts as I recall, and which I've watched on TCM in the past. It could have even been a French film, now that I think about it.

I'm not thinking of Amanti (aka, A Place for Lovers) that turkey starring Dunaway and Mastroianni, but another film.

(...any ideas here?)

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hate quoting myself here, but...

And the Spyder which on this coming Tuesday will be replaced in my garage with THIS Spider...the deal done this morning.

Used-2019-FIAT-124-Spider-Abarth-WNav-Ab

(...still can't believe how difficult it was to find one with a manual transmission)

Congrats!  I have reached the stage where shifting gears is something I hate.  Every time I drive my pick-up I am reminded of that fact.

Getting in and out of little bitty cars is more problematic, even mid-sized sedans.  Small SUV/Crossover will replace my current sedan eventually.  Wife already drives a mid-sized SUV - and the truck was actually her choice for a manual (she now dislikes it).

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Dargo said:

Btw, there's another Italian movie that I'm almost sure DID prominately feature one of the older 124's and which is also a road picture of sorts as I recall, and which I've watched on TCM in the past. It could have even been a French film, now that I think about it.

I'm not thinking of Amanti (aka, A Place for Lovers) that turkey starring Dunaway and Mastroianni, but another film.

(...any ideas here?)

Well, if yer almost sure, that's good, 'cause IMCDB, despite a lengthy list of 124 Spiders and Sports doesn't have anything I'm familiar with except The Lady in the Car With Glasses and a Gun (1970).  But the main transport in that is a 1969 Mercury Marquis.  The Spider only has a cameo.  And it's never been shown on TCM

And thinking of road movies set in ol' Europe, I can only think of like Two For the Road (1969, but the car in that is a 1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Sprint), or Alice in the Cities (1974, but that is a 1973 Renault 4 Export), or Three (1969, but that is a Peugeot 202 BH Cabriolet.)

So, go fish.

• Thanks 1

My take on Fiat based on my experience of owning a 124 Sport Spider is to repeat the "Fix It Again Tony" refrain.  I actually was dead on the side of the road three times in it.  Well, unfortunately once was my wife about 8:00 at night by herself while I was out of town.  Fortunately I had given her the  24 hour number for a tow and a friend got her home.

3 hours ago, ElCid said:

My take on Fiat based on my experience of owning a 124 Sport Spider is to repeat the "Fix It Again Tony" refrain.  I actually was dead on the side of the road three times in it.  Well, unfortunately once was my wife about 8:00 at night by herself while I was out of town.  Fortunately I had given her the  24 hour number for a tow and a friend got her home.

Then isn't it ironic here Cid, that you've also mentioned your unlucky prior experiences with Mopar products, and "ironic" of course because Chrysler is now owned by Fiat.

However and in regard to my recent purchase of this modern 124 Spider, first, while the body was penned in Turin Italy (boy, them there "eye-talians" sure know how to design beautiful cars, don't they?  ;) ) because they're actually based on a Miata and built in Hiroshima Japan, I'll bet mine will be a heck of lot more reliable than your old 124 Spider was, and even considering that yes, its engine is a Fiat designed and built unit.

And, not to mention the idea that with all cars today being both designed, engineered and built primarily by computers, the reliability factor in all cars is much much greater than it ever was back in 1970s.

(...and btw, for the dozen years I owned my old 1977 124 Spider, from about 1984 to 1996, I can say it never once failed to get me back home during a drive in it)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The Jupiter 8 Reactor Mach II built by car customizer Gene Winfield

ByWHoI6.jpg

It appeared on the television programs: Bewitched, Batman and Star Trek.

It appeared with different paint in: The Psycho Lover (1970).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, SansFin said:

ByWHoI6.jpg

It appeared on the television programs: Bewitched, Batman and Star Trek.

It appeared with different paint in: The Psycho Lover (1970).

I thought there was a HotWheels version but I can't find it.  Citroen air suspension and a flat six from a Corvair. Nice!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Man, I'm losing it. Can't remember which Star Trek episode it was in. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Is that the one where Scotty says something like: 'Let's show them just what a Federation starship can do'?

I hear they'll do 0-60 in .00000003 seconds.

(...when the dilithium crystals are set in "sport" mode)

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I hear they'll do 0-60 in .00000003 seconds.

(...when the dilithium crystals are set in "sport" mode)

We had a cat that could do that, when we shook the chow bag.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Is that the one where Scotty says something like: 'Let's show them just what a Federation starship can do'?

I believe so. There were several episodes in which he was possibly not as aloof and professional as might be. 

My Dart. I drove this car daily. Got many comments on it. I'd be stopped at a light and people would yell over to me how they loved it and how they had one and also how you couldn't kill the engine as long as you fed it oil.

How I miss it. Had to get a Jeep for the winter travel tho...

The last time I drove her in the winter was when I almost smashed into a phone pole during a surprise snow squall. Many cars were off the road and I came around a corner. Was I scared for my own safety? Hell, no. All I could vision was a smashed grill. I made it tho. Phwew!

Dart 1973.JPG

5 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

My Dart. I drove this car daily. Got many comments on it. How I miss it. Had to get a Jeep for the winter travel tho...

The last time I drove her in the winter was when I almost smashed into a phone pole during a surprise snow squall. Many cars were off the road and I came around a corner. Was I scared for my own safety? Hell, no. All I could vision was a smashed grill. I made it tho. Phwew!

Dart 1973.JPG

Didn't I see that in Death Race 2000? Or was it Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry.....