Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

That car has THE ugliest grille I've ever seen-the protruding hood & bumper makes it look like a sneer! I was passed down a '75 Dodge Dart for my first car but never got to drive it. I had heard a noise when home alone and while investigating, mistakingly shot through the dining room wall, hitting the Dart parked in the driveway. Eventually the frame rusted out.

Were you aiming at something and the gun accidentally discharged?  Assume that is what you meant.  What kind of damage was done to the Dart and is that why you didn't drive it?  Or, did you just not like it?

50 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Were you aiming at something and the gun accidentally discharged?  Assume that is what you meant.  What kind of damage was done to the Dart and is that why you didn't drive it?  Or, did you just not like it?

No, I had been asleep & awakened by a noise. The clip was kept separate from the gun & I was assembling it when apparently my finger touched the trigger. Stupid. Why I no longer keep firearms. I now know to always keep the first chamber empty. 

It left a huge exit hole in the wall but only a small hole through the car body, but the frame broke before I got my driver's license. Loved that car too.

Remind me not to visit you without calling first.

Back then I lived on a rural farm and was definitely more frightened of intruders. I now live in the City and have zero interest in handling firearms-since having my own personal police protection.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

For those here possessing strong gearhead tendencies and with maybe an hour to kill, and also possessing an interest in cars once owned by Hollywood notables of the past, I now direct your attention to an auction currently going on at 'Bring a Trailer', which is a popular car auction website for classic and collectable automobiles.

4-Speed Transaxle from James Dean's 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder for sale on BaT Auctions - ending May 29 (Lot #48,293) | Bring a Trailer

The current bid as I type this for just the transaxle out of James Dean's mid-engine Porsche 550 Spyder which he was driving during his fatal car crash in 1955, is at $128,550 with 5 days still to go. To this day, nobody knows where or whatever happened to the rest of the car except for its engine and which this transaxle was once mated to.

(...and the reason I earlier said "with maybe an hour to kill" was because the average number of comments posted for each auction tends to be around 80-100, however in this case there are already 535 comments posted in this one and with many of them I found to be very interesting, especially the ones which are highlighted in yellow and due to their receiving 5 or more thumbs-up responses)

• Thanks 1

Amazing the trans survived. I can't imagine that engine being much use other than for parts. This is one of the most complete jobs of destroying a car you're likely to see. 16178481668fdb72ddd71a7F0B0799E-9FDA-470

23 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Amazing the trans survived. I can't imagine that engine being much use other than for parts. This is one of the most complete jobs of destroying a car you're likely to see. 16178481668fdb72ddd71a7F0B0799E-9FDA-470

Actually Moe, considering that the engine compartment in Dean's 550 Spyder sat behind him in this mid-engine car, and that most of the damage was concentrated forward of it after he collided head-on with Donald Turnupseed's Ford sedan, I'd think the engine and transaxle would have still remained pretty well intact.

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actually Moe, considering that the engine compartment in Dean's 550 Spyder sat behind him in this mid-engine car, and that most of the damage was concentrated forward of it after he collided head-on with Donald Turnupseed's Ford sedan, I'd think the engine and transaxle would have still remained pretty well intact.

Who knows. I'm not saying it wouldn't be salvageable, it's just unlikely it came out untouched. Those flat air-cooled engines are easier to damage than say a V-8. Transaxles back then were built a lot tougher than today but the weak points where the drive shaft mounts. I cant tell by those pics how they connect, the boot might indicate a slip mount. Lots of times the car continues to slide after impact and that's when a wheel can catch something and cause more damage to a trans etc.

10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Back then I lived on a rural farm and was definitely more frightened of intruders. I now live in the City and have zero interest in handling firearms-since having my own personal police protection.

And I always had the impression rural areas were safer.  I confess my ignorance.  But it seems the greatest danger you faced was from yourself.  Good thing the gun was pointed away from you.

10 hours ago, slaytonf said:

And I always had the impression rural areas were safer.

No one can hear you scream in space, while there's people in a neighborhood. Ambulance/hospitals are closer too. You're right Slayton, I'm just not a gun person & find you have to be honestly interested in something to be good at it.

Those photos of James Dean's car are painful to see....and that's back when cars were made of steel. 

BTW Dargo- MrTiki has been seriously searching for that Volvo wagon you suggested to craft into Harold's hearse. His Prius is off the road for repair & I suggested he craft that into Harold's hearse instead for extra yuks. I've seen a Prius made into NCC-1701 Enterprise Shuttlecraft.

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

No one can hear you scream in space, while there's people in a neighborhood. Ambulance/hospitals are closer too. You're right Slayton, I'm just not a gun person & find you have to be honestly interested in something to be good at it.

Those photos of James Dean's car are painful to see....and that's back when cars were made of steel

BTW Dargo- MrTiki has been seriously searching for that Volvo wagon you suggested to craft into Harold's hearse. His Prius is off the road for repair & I suggested he craft that into Harold's hearse instead for extra yuks. I've seen a Prius made into NCC-1701 Enterprise Shuttlecraft.

I would suggest a Mossberg 12 gauge pump for your situation. It's a bit more impressive and you get the benefit of the 'horseshoe' rule. 

Dargo will know this but I thought that was an aluminum body.

https://agoodgoodbye.com/tools-of-the-trade/how-to-recreate-a-famous-jaguar-hearse/

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Dargo will know this but I thought that was an aluminum body.

Yep, the original Porsche 550 Spyders' bodies were made of aluminum and which as we know while lighter than steel, are also much more easily crushable. However a few years later, Porsche's next major race car's body, the model 904 here...

Porsche-904-Carrera-GTS-RM-Sothebys-19.j

...would be made of fiberglass, and the same substance of which my until recently owned 550 replica was made of.

3 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Past a certain speed, it don't make no difference. 

True to some extent, but of course modern cars, both made for street use and for racing, have built-in crush zones which isolate the driver and passengers from intrusions into them and thus are much safer and survivable than back when James Dean had his 550.

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Still lookin' for a P1800ES, eh Tiki?

I'd tell your hubby to check out the aforementioned 'Bring a Trailer' website for one as I do occassionally see one up for auction there, but in most cases the cars listed on that website are in excellent condition and so usually go for top dollar.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Porsche's next major race car's body, the model 904 here.....would be made of fiberglass,

Dear Santa . . . . . 

Hippy_Porsche_917_01pop.jpg

2 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Dear Santa . . . . . 

Hippy_Porsche_917_01pop.jpg

Well Moe, then I hope you've been a very very VERY good boy if ya want one of THESE babies!

So, does it have to be the "Hippie Car" here, or would any ol' "run of the mill" 917 do? Like say the Gulf No.20 car here that this guy drove in Le Mans...

le-mans-porsche-917-jan-metelka.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

True to some extent, but of course modern cars

The car in question was the Spyder, all of which seemed to be a crush zone.

18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well Moe, then I hope you've been a very very VERY good boy if ya want one of THESE babies!

So, does it have to be the "Hippie Car" here, or would any ol' "run of the mill" 917 do? Like say the Gulf No.20 car here that this guy drove in Le Mans...

le-mans-porsche-917-jan-metelka.jpg

I thought it was downright magnanimous of me to compromise for the wrong tail, the Le Psychedelic paint is a must!

• Haha 1

Not much presence for Spyders in movies.  The best I could find is The Fast and the Furious--no not that one--the 1955 movie, of course:

i022494.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 12:27 PM, Sepiatone said:

Yep.  In  the late '70's there was the Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon, both built at the same Illinois assembly plant.  What was funny was a buddy of mine had one(a '78) that had the OMNI script on one side, but the HORIZON script on the other.  :D 

I had a '64 Dart.  That "slant 6" was able to take a lot of punishment.  More than the car's differential, which went flooey and was the reason I had to junk it.   I took a lot of ribbing about that push-button "shifter" on the dash.  Like friends asking if they should leave some change in the ashtray fro me to use in case I needed to change gears or whatever.  ;)   I owned it from Oct. '71 to March '72, and it never did look as nice as the one here-----

Sepiatone

Once owned a 1965 Dodge Dart GT with the 225. Yes you could climb inside the engine compartment, it was spacious. Bucket seats and 3 speed automatic on the floor were the main differences of the GT. In spite of Dart being considered a compact in its day, I recall the interior as being quite spacious and comfy. I  basically traded the Dart in 1982 for a  MINT 1966 Buick Electra 225 with a 401 "nail head" engine. One funny thing I remember about that Buick, often when I shopped for parts, I would be asked if the 401 was in a boat! Apparently the 401 Buick was popular in marine applications. 

15 minutes ago, Herman Bricks said:

Once owned a 1965 Dodge Dart GT with the 225. Yes you could climb inside the engine compartment, it was spacious. Bucket seats and 3 speed automatic on the floor were the main differences of the GT. In spite of Dart being considered a compact in its day, I recall the interior as being quite spacious and comfy. I  basically traded the Dart in 1982 for a  MINT 1966 Buick Electra 225 with a 401 "nail head" engine. One funny thing I remember about that Buick, often when I shopped for parts, I would be asked if the 401 was in a boat! Apparently the 401 Buick was popular in marine applications. 

Probably because the Buick "Nail Head" engines were known to make a lot of torque for their displacement, and especially at lower RPMs.