Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

My family had an Electra.  The engine fell out.  They had to shovel it off the pavement.  They offered us a new one.  We declined.  The next car was a New Yorker.  That mostly worked, except the heater, A/C switch broke.  They couldn't fix it, so they installed a toggle switch on the dash.

Those were the dark days.

Electras in movies:

Hush. . .Hush, Sweet Charlote (1964):

t357945.jpg

Zontar:  The Thing From Venus (1966):

t188531.jpg

Walking Tall (1973):

t163470.jpg

But wait.  This is not a nice car!

Slayton my 66 Electra was pretty nice. Not as nice as the 68 (more modern looking) or the 70 (first year of the 455). One good thing about the big Buicks was and is, repairs and parts were simpler and cheaper compared to similar luxo boats such as Cadillacs (I owned a 71 Eldo and a 72 Fleetwood) and Lincoln (I owned a 66 and 67 Continental). Lincolns and Cadillacs were for me a pain in the butt to maintain due to the expense of parts and the complexity of the cars.

5 hours ago, Herman Bricks said:

Slayton my 66 Electra was pretty nice. Not as nice as the 68 (more modern looking) or the 70 (first year of the 455). One good thing about the big Buicks was and is, repairs and parts were simpler and cheaper compared to similar luxo boats such as Cadillacs (I owned a 71 Eldo and a 72 Fleetwood) and Lincoln (I owned a 66 and 67 Continental). Lincolns and Cadillacs were for me a pain in the butt to maintain due to the expense of parts and the complexity of the cars.

Weee DOGGIES! Boy, y'all sure did love them ol' big'uns, didn't ya Tex?!

So, what kind'a cars have you owned that could actually handle well on the twistier roads out there?

THAT'S where the fun TRULY lies when it comes to drivin' cars, ya know.

(...oh, and of course when ridin' motorcycles too)

• Like 1

Actually Dargo, a nice thing I recall about the 60's-70's luxury cars was the overall quality and technology. The handling was much better than less upscale American cars of these eras. For example I owned 71 and 72 Buick Skylarks and the handling was terrible, hazardous compared to modern standards. On the other hand I had a 72 Riviera Gran Sport, which handled like a demon by comparison. Once I got the feel of the car down, I used to blast it down winding country roads in CT and it handled great.

My 71 El Dorado, I grew to dislike the looks of it. By the 80's it was one of the more dated-looking ElDo's. Even the 68-70's look more modern. But the ElDo handled decently and in fact excelled in snow! The two years that I had it was my go-to car in winter (and I also had a 70something Volvo at the time). The combination of the front wheel drive, the weight and a fairly tight suspension made for a nice safe roadfeel. It had no issues despite the nasty winters back then.

• Like 1
On 5/31/2021 at 2:02 PM, Herman Bricks said:

...My 71 El Dorado, I grew to dislike the looks of it. By the 80's it was one of the more dated-looking ElDo's. Even the 68-70's look more modern. But the ElDo handled decently and in fact excelled in snow! The two years that I had it was my go-to car in winter (and I also had a 70something Volvo at the time). The combination of the front wheel drive, the weight and a fairly tight suspension made for a nice safe roadfeel. It had no issues despite the nasty winters back then.

Yes, good point, Herman. The first generation FWD '67-'70 Eldorados (and which of course were actually based on the ground-breaking 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado) DO still have a modern and timeless look to them.

(...in fact, I've always thought these modern Caddys with their sharp-edged bodywork, were meant to be a sort of "homage" to those particular Caddys)

• Like 3
On 5/31/2021 at 2:02 PM, Herman Bricks said:

For example I owned 71 and 72 Buick Skylarks and the handling was terrible,

Ah, but they were kinda nice cars!

7266854-1972-buick-skylark-std-c.jpg

'72 Skylarks in movies:

Seven Psychopaths (2012)

Training Day (2017)

Teenage Seductress (1975)

The Dead Pool (1978)

The Exorcist (1973)

Charley Varrick (1973)

Student Bodies (1981)

• Like 1

That is a nice-looking car. The Skylarks had plenty of pluses. My 71 had the basic 350 2bbl, put out 230hp and was pretty quick for a bare bones car. The front of the car had an aggressive look. The body had nice lines. I like the minimal trim.

The minuses? Again the handling, primitive but typical for the time. I also felt the appearance of the back of the car was very meh and was a lazy design:

See the source image

I also hated the dashboard (ugh). The round dials in square bezels to me looked very space in-efficient, and kinda tacky.

See the source image

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Ah, but they were kinda nice cars!

7266854-1972-buick-skylark-std-c.jpg

'72 Skylarks in movies:

Seven Psychopaths (2012)

Training Day (2017)

Teenage Seductress (1975)

The Dead Pool (1978)

The Exorcist (1973)

Charley Varrick (1973)

Student Bodies (1981)

Actually, I've always thought all the various GM brands midsize "A-body" cars from the mid-'60s on through to the early-'70s were some of the best looking and tastefully designed cars to ever come out of Detroit, and not just from the Buick Division.

• Like 1

When we got married my wife had a 71 Skylark and I had a 71 Dodge Challenger POS.  We kept the Skylark and sold the Challenger POS.

The Skylark was a great car.  Dependable, comfortable, roomy, etc.  Never had a problem with handling and we drove from S.C. to LA to TN and back 2-3 times per year.  Over interstate and two lane roads.

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actually, I've always thought all the various GM brands midsize "A-body" cars from the mid-'60s on through to the early-'70s were some of the best looking and tastefully designed cars to ever come out of Detroit, and not just from the Buick Division.

To split hairs though, Buicks wouldn't have come out of Detroit.    They were built in FLINT, MI( until the mid-'90's).  ;) 

And GM was known for slapping different names on the same body styles.  ie;  Chevy NOVA,  Pontiac VENTURA, Oldsmobile OMEGA( I once owned a '75)   and also some of the higher priced spreads.  ;) 

And for the record----

Mine was powder blue with a white vinyl top. ;)    It got totalled in a wreck in '78, and I replaced it with---

Mine was all black, stock wheels(obviously)  And by '83 a lifter got somehow stuck and it started backfiring through the carb and I replaced IT with an '84 Cutlass Supreme that the ex wound up with.  :(

Sepiatone

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

To split hairs though, Buicks wouldn't have come out of Detroit.    They were built in FLINT, MI( until the mid-'90's).  ;) 

And GM was known for slapping different names on the same body styles.  ie;  Chevy NOVA,  Pontiac VENTURA, Oldsmobile OMEGA( I once owned a '75)   and also some of the higher priced spreads.  ;) 

And for the record----

Mine was powder blue with a white vinyl top. ;)    It got totalled in a wreck in '78, and I replaced it with---

Mine was all black, stock wheels(obviously)  And by '83 a lifter got somehow stuck and it started backfiring through the carb and I replaced IT with an '84 Cutlass Supreme that the ex wound up with.  :(

Sepiatone

Okay then, "Hair Splitter"...Flint. Happy NOW???!!!  ;)  LOL

Yep, "Badge Engineering" was a very common practice among all the Detriot, ahem, Michigan-based car companies, alright.

Btw, I owned an old "A-body" Chevy for many years back in the '90s thru the early-2000s. A 1969 El Camino that looked a lot like this one, also in this color of blue and including the white  "SS" hood racing stripes. However, mine had the Rally wheels just like the one's on the Pontiac you posted that video of.

eLFkiTrFyb.jpg

And no, if you might be wondering here, I've never sported a mullet haircut. I've just always thought these car/trucks were really cool and nice looking...especially this generation of them.

AND in keeping with the theme of slayton's thread here, the following 1968 Chevy El Camino, of which there are very few differences between it and my old '69, can be seen during the opening credits of one of Hollywood's greatest movies which features a lot of very cool cars...Bullitt...

i007426.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

of one of Hollywood's greatest movies which features a lot of very cool cars...Bullitt...

. . and this poor little car hardly ever gets noticed. 

38ab34dfd8744ae736e235cd20a30426--movie-

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I was wondering when you'd get around to movies. 

Oh now slayton, ol' boy.

YOU know you can always count on me to bring this baby back-on-track here, don't YA?!

(...hey, and speaking of "tracks"...I used to ride from L.A. to Laguna Seca Raceway near Monterey with a bunch of guys every July to watch the World Superbike races there...but seein' as how you once told me that this thread was about cars and not motorcycles, I won't now attempt to post any pics of 'em that were ever in movies!)  ;)   LOL

22 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yes, good point, Herman. The first generation FWD '67-'70 Eldorados (and which of course were actually based on the ground-breaking 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado) DO still have a modern and timeless look to them.

Ever since I was a wee tyke watching Mannix when I was supposed to be in bed my dream car has been a '66 Olds Toronado.  

Actually my dream car is a Hemi 'Cuda but I'm still saving up the first million to go towards it so that '66 Olds with the groovy spinning speedometer is it.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Citizen Ed said:

Ever since I was a wee tyke watching Mannix when I was supposed to be in bed my dream car has been a '66 Olds Toronado.  

Actually my dream car is a Hemi 'Cuda but I'm still saving up the first million to go towards it so that '66 Olds with the groovy spinning speedometer is it.

Yep, exactly, Ed. I'm amazed at what Hemi 'Cudas are going for now days!

And as it appears you know, it seems one can pick up a nice/clean early year model Toronado in the $15K-$25K range all day long. They just have never taken off in the collector car market for some reason.

(...and yep, I'll never forget seeing my first 1966 Toronado when I was about 13 y/o and with its very clean and elegant design ...I thought "the future had arrived")

• Like 1

I beg all of you to change the subject from 1966 Oldsmobile Toronados before a certain little fuzzy returns and has time free to peruse this forum. He has owned three of them and has a minimum of one-hundred-and-sixty-three "interesting" stories about each. We might have to suffer also his theories of the design elements they share with the Jaguar XK-E and how a love child between the two would be the most excellent automobile in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

. . and this poor little car hardly ever gets noticed. 

38ab34dfd8744ae736e235cd20a30426--movie-

Awwww. . . .

With the lady driving, I'm not noticing anything else. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh now slayton, ol' boy.

YOU know you can always count on me to bring this baby back-on-track here, don't YA?!

(...hey, and speaking of "tracks"...I used to ride from L.A. to Laguna Seca Raceway near Monterey with a bunch of guys every July to watch the World Superbike races there...but seein' as how you once told me that this thread was about cars and not motorcycles, I won't now attempt to post any pics of 'em that were ever in movies!)  ;)   LOL

How could I ever have doubted you?

If you want pics of bikes, you will have to start your own thread. 

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I beg all of you to change the subject from 1966 Oldsmobile Toronados before a certain little fuzzy returns and has time free to peruse this forum. He has owned three of them and has a minimum of one-hundred-and-sixty-three "interesting" stories about each. We might have to suffer also his theories of the design elements they share with the Jaguar XK-E and how a love child between the two would be the most excellent automobile in the world.

Yikes!  I will have to strictly enforce the movie relevance of posts. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SansFin said:

39 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Yikes!  I will have to strictly enforce the movie relevance of posts. 

Noooo, DON'T do that, slayton!

I, for one, would be VERY interested in hearing Sans' "little fuzzy"'s experiences with his Toronados.

(...and besides, we just don't hear enough from him much anymore as it is, ya know)

• Sad 1

I'm guessing he wasn't WONDER WARTHOG, who used to tool around in his late '60's Toronado in reverse with his head out the window looking towards the rear end of the car.  ;) 

And talk about "Badge engineering", I remember when I worked at the Clark St. Detroit CADILLAC plant, in '72 they had to hold up production of the Eldorado( which was assembled in a plant across the street from where I was working at the time) while waiting for a shipment of chassis' from the Olds Toronado plant to tide them over until their regular shipment finally arrived.   Working any job at Eldorado was considered a plum job.   one needed much seniority and lips fastened tightly to a foreman's "seat" to get a transfer.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2