Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

slaytonf

3 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

They still had the round afterburner taillights; the '64s were 'uglified' by FoMoCo with those rectangular tails.

Yes but the rectangular had their benefits. . . . ask Matt Helm!

230405-Murderers21.jpg

230406-Murderers22.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, slaytonf said:

But are there any nice cars in it? 

i778038.jpg

1963 Ford Thunderbird.

I might say it's nice, if it weren't called a Thunderbird.

Yep, love the "Bullet Birds" (as they are called) too, slayton. Probably my favorite of all the T-birds. In fact, in my "man cave" otherwise known as a "den", one of my 1:18 scale model cars is one in this red that looks like the one you posted this pic of here, although unlike this one, it has the tonneau which covers the back seat,

And btw, what is it about the name "Thunderbird" which you apparently dislike?

6 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

My favorite year.

Looks like besides likin' the same babes (such as Paula Prentiss), we like the same cars too, eh Moe?  ;)

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 12:54 AM, Mr. Gorman said:

Well, slayton, LOVE TRUCK (1973) is about a road trip in a van and they cruise around what looks like upstate New York in the summer.  → Obviously not a 'SoCal' vibe in this one, but having seen it it's definitely got 'cruising' around in it where the two protagonists in the van have various adventures on the 'Open Road'.  Directed by Chuck Vincent. 

→ I believe there's a cruising scene or two in the 1979 Latino-themed movie BOULEVARD NIGHTS. 

There's cruising going on in the 1977 teen-themed movie MAG WHEELS.  Also known as "Summer School" this movie was directed by Bethel C. Buckalew and has a positively insane "Happy Ending".   Plus, you also get some groovy songs by the garage band THE WORD such as "The Anita Song" which is super-catchy and plays twice in the movie.  You must see this movie to believe it -- especially the ending.  

There's scenes of walking around and driving around mid-70s L.A. in TRACKDOWN (1976) that look rather authentic. 

DOUBLE NICKELS (1977) features car chases and scenic views of the Pacific Coast Highway and various other places in California (like the L.A. Basin -- I think that's what it's called -- which is also seen in POINT BLANK and GREASE and probably scads of other movies). 

GIRLS ON THE ROAD (1973) is a time capsule with scenes of hitchhiking, cruising around and running into Pa Walton (RALPH WAITE) as a hippie guru who runs one of those 'Enlightenment' retreats.  The ending of the movie leaves it up to the viewer as to what might've happened . . .

Speaking of "1970s Retreats" there also the Ferd and Beverly Sebastian movie THE SINGLE GIRLS (1973)  [aka:  "Private School"]  that's got the whole "Find Yourself '70s Style" thing goin' on . . . . and there's a killer loose at the retreat to boot! 

ALSO:  There's a 1972 movie called THUMB TRIPPING with Meg Foster and Bruce Dern you might want to check out. 

EDIT:  I almost forgot → the 1978 movie MALIBU BEACH features the two main male characters going to a convenience store in a Jeep to buy a 6-pack of beer.  They then take off in the Jeep and begin drinking said 6-pack of beer and throwing the empty cans away on the roadside.  They also pick up chicks.  DIG IT. 

I looked up Girls on the Road and saw that it is available on Tubi, so I watched it.  Thank God for being able to fast forward.  Other than the girls' Mustang, don't remember any other memorable cars.  Found the movie pretty bad actually.

6 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

My favorite year.

Hey, and speakin' o' which here, Moe...

YOU said THIS, and then I mentioned Paula Prentiss here and because of what you said the other day in another thread about her, right?!

And so, who directed that very entertaining 1982 movie titled what you just said here?

Uh-huh, Paula's lucky as hell husband, huh.

(...oooooh, eerie huh!)  ;)

LOL

8 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I'm corn-fused. Which movie we talking here?

C'mon now, REALLY???

I was talkin' about the movie that the guy shown here should have won an Oscar for pretty much playing an over-the-hill

Errol Flynn in it...

my%2Bfavorite%2Byear.png&ehk=hIun3aAp8on

(...guess maybe you didn't know Richard Benjamin directed this one, eh?!)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

C'mon now, REALLY???

I was talkin' about the movie that the guy shown here should have won an Oscar for pretty much playing an over-the-hill

Errol Flynn in it...

my%2Bfavorite%2Byear.png&ehk=hIun3aAp8on

(...guess maybe you didn't know Richard Benjamin directed this one, eh?!)

Yes I did. Like that movie too.  I thought you were talking about the Matt Helm reference. 

• Thanks 1

@ElCid:  GIRLS ON THE ROAD is not a good movie, but I mentioned it because of it's 'time-capsule-ness'.  Taking a road trip on the California coast in 1972 and running into a hippie retreat run by Pa Walton with various 'head cases' afoot like "The Maker".   How can one not dig such awful-ness?  😄    

I admit I like '70s Drive-In movies -- even if some of them are really bad.   → Check out the "Z"-grade HOT SUMMER IN BAREFOOT COUNTY (1974)  . . . if you dare! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

@ElCid:  GIRLS ON THE ROAD is not a good movie, but I mentioned it because of it's 'time-capsule-ness'.  Taking a road trip on the California coast in 1972 and running into a hippie retreat run by Pa Walton with various 'head cases' afoot like "The Maker".   How can one not dig such awful-ness?  😄    

I admit I like '70s Drive-In movies -- even if some of them are really bad.   → Check out the "Z"-grade HOT SUMMER IN BAREFOOT COUNTY (1974)  . . . if you dare! 

I dare not.

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

And btw, what is it about the name "Thunderbird" which you apparently dislike?

I only dislike its application to that car, which I said I could consider nice with a different name (Hey!:  a car by any other name would be as nice!).

This:

ford-thunderbird-1955a.jpg

is a Thunderbird.

Why is it, I wonder, that car companies, when they hit on a special design, something surpassing in elegance, sportiness and sexiness, feel compelled to adulterate, and ultimately ruin it?  Consider what happened also to the 240 Z and the Miata.  They started out as exciting, sporty fun vehicles, but ended up as bloated, steroidal megamorphs.

• Like 1

@slaytonf:  Well, shucks, if you don't wanna go down the road of HOT SUMMER IN BAREFOOT COUNTY may I recommend this ♦nugget♦ of sheer amateurish muck:  THE NIGHT THEY ROBBED BIG BERTHA's (1975).  It's even worse.  You could call it "hicksploitation" . . . but it's not an 'exploitation movie'.  It's just an awful, amateurish mess of various country bumpkins endeavoring to rob Big Bertha's house of ill-repute with very mild results.  HOT SUMMER IN BAREFOOT COUNTY looks decent in comparison.

Now you might logically ask yourself:  "Why would I want to watch this mess if it's even worse than "Hot Summer in Barefoot County"?" 

ANSWER:  Because watching BIG BERTHA is better than watching NOVEMBER CHILDREN (1972) (aka:  "Nightmare County") which is even *more* terrible.  😛  "November Children" is about oppressed fruit-pickers that was written and directed and starred in by one 'Sean McGregor'.  This is so amateurish it's unwatchable.  But I watched it once!  Forced myself to get through it.  It's not an exploitation movie, however, it's just completely uninvolving.   "November Children" is a movie geared for folks who are 'Anti-Entertainment'.  The plot line was ripe for the picking (pun intended) . . . but in Sean McGregor's hands this film views like a basket of the rotten-est fruit imaginable. 

But, hey, there's some old pick-up trucks in NIGHTMARE COUNTY, which is the title "November Children" was released on video under. 

Happy Viewing!  🤪

7 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I dare not.

I only dislike its application to that car, which I said I could consider nice with a different name (Hey!:  a car by any other name would be as nice!).

This:

ford-thunderbird-1955a.jpg

is a Thunderbird.

Why is it, I wonder, that car companies, when they hit on a special design, something surpassing in elegance, sportiness and sexiness, feel compelled to adulterate, and ultimately ruin it?  Consider what happened also to the 240 Z and the Miata.  They started out as exciting, sporty fun vehicles, but ended up as bloated, steroidal megamorphs.

It's called evolution and satisfying what the buyers want.  The Thunderbird was on shaky ground until Robert McNamara (Ford CEO) directed that it be made into a four passenger car.  Sales skyrocketed and the T-Bird stayed around.

As for appearance, Ford was satisfying what purchasers of NEW cars were looking for.

I had a Nissan 300Zx - very nice car.  I had once considered a 240Z, but it was pricey, not comfortable and actually pretty bare bones.  Got a Dodge Challenger instead.   As for the Miata, I don't see where current models are "bloated, steroidal megamorphs."  Just evolved reflecting changes in safety requirements and what the market wants on NEW cars.

Car companies that do not improve their vehicles and respond to the market go out of business.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ElCid said:

It's called evolution and satisfying what the buyers want.  The Thunderbird was on shaky ground until Robert McNamara (Ford CEO) directed that it be made into a four passenger car.  Sales skyrocketed and the T-Bird stayed around.

As for appearance, Ford was satisfying what purchasers of NEW cars were looking for.

I had a Nissan 300Zx - very nice car.  I had once considered a 240Z, but it was pricey, not comfortable and actually pretty bare bones.  Got a Dodge Challenger instead.   As for the Miata, I don't see where current models are "bloated, steroidal megamorphs."  Just evolved reflecting changes in safety requirements and what the market wants on NEW cars.

Car companies that do not improve their vehicles and respond to the market go out of business.

Thanks, Cid. This would have been my reply to slayton.

(...and almost verbatim)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ford was satisfying what purchasers of NEW cars were looking for.

Key word = WERE.  The 50s and most 60s era Thunderbirds continue to be in high demand.

The monstrosity below, not so much.

ford_thunderbird_1977_201.jpg

But I agree what happened to the Datsun 240 is a cryin' shame. The 300 Z32 TT is an acceptable transgression, but the newer versions are hideous vehicles that resemble engorged ticks. Miatas, eh. They make a great girl's car regardless of year.

Just now, Moe Howard said:

Key word = WERE.  The 50s and most 60s era Thunderbirds continue to be in high demand.

The monstrosity below, not so much.

ford_thunderbird_1977_201.jpg

But I agree what happened to the Datsun 240 is a cryin' shame. The 300 Z32 TT is an acceptable transgression, but the newer versions are hideous vehicles that resemble engorged ticks. Miatas, eh. They make a great girl's car regardless of year.

Agree that the design concepts of the original slipped away from them, but this was the T-Bird's best-selling incarnation, believe it or not.  Looks like a mash-up of a Continental, LTD and Torino to me.  With the odd opera window and out-of-proportion rear window, it literally looks like two different cars bolted together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Agree that the design concepts of the original slipped away from them, but this was the T-Bird's best-selling incarnation, believe it or not.  Looks like a mash-up of a Continental, LTD and Torino to me.  With the odd opera window and out-of-proportion rear window, it literally looks like two different cars bolted together.

Oh I believe it. Lot's of garbage sold that has no value today. Look at the K car platform.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

That looks like a '78 or '79 T-Bird incarnation from FoMoCo.   I remember when I was a mean widdle kid those opera windows were a 'thing' on various FORD products.  

I learned to drive in my parents' two-door 77 LTD.  The doors were so long you often couldn't get out of the car if the parking space was narrow and cars were parked in the spaces next to you.  I seem to remember you could turn the steering wheel about 1/4 turn before there was any effect on the wheels.  But the power brakes took only the slightest touch to bring the thing to a dead stop.

It had a white vinyl roof (not a good choice in the blistering southwestern summers as it started to crack and peel after a couple of years).  They always liked those big boats for their primary car.  The smallest car I ever remember them getting was a Buick Regal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Wow.  And I thought Ford overdid the redesign of the Thunderbird with THIS!---

Sure was a big change from THIS!

Sepiatone

Yes, they DID "overdo" it for the 1958 model year Sepia, but then again, other than perhaps the Mopar cars of that year and the next couple of years, ALL cars from FoMoCo and GM were WAY overdone, over-styled and looked a lot heavier and more chrome-ladened to the extent of gawdiness than they were in 1957.

And thus this would be one of the reasons I've always liked the '61-'63 "Bullet Birds", as their design was much less cluttered and more sleek in overall design than the previous '58-'60 models, aka "Square Birds".

And yes slayton, as sleek and clean a design as the first generation little two-seaters were, but were just a hell of lot bigger, that's all.

(...and yes, perhaps a tad TOO big, but then again the Thunderbird was never a "sports car", but was always more a "personal luxury" model and even when they had only two seats)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And now...

Did anyone watch that turkey of an Elvis movie Spinout last night? Whoa, what a lame flick.

BUT, there WERE at least a lot of "nice cars" in that one, anyway:

IMCDb.org: "Spinout, 1966": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

Funny though how Shelley Fabares' 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet here and which is now a big ticket item ...

221347-Spinout40.jpg

...turned into a Triumph TR4 after it ran into Malibu Lake and got wet here...

221348-Spinout42.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dargo said:

And now...

Did anyone watch that turkey of an Elvis movie Spinout last night? Whoa, what a lame flick.

BUT, here were, at least, a lot of "nice cars" in that one, anyway:

Funny though how Shelley Fabares' 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet here and which is now a big ticket item ...

221347-Spinout40.jpg

221348-Spinout42.jpg

LOL!!!!! 

Yes. I noticed. Not even close. 

1 minute ago, Moe Howard said:

It's understandable if you consider the competition.

1958-chevrolet-impala

Yep, good point Moe.

(...btw, and you probably know  the following, but for years '58 Chevys were worth a lot less than '57s, but in the past few years they've come to be valued to near "Shoebox" levels at auctions)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

And now...

BUT, there WERE at least a lot of "nice cars" in that one, anyway:

Even moviemakers have enough sense not to soak a Ferrari (notwithstanding the outrage perpetrated in The Italian Job, 1969).  Still, I believe I cringe more seeing the Triumph awash than I would the Ferrari, perhaps because the Triumph is more within my reach.

• Like 1

Though we are getting away from movies (anyone have a favorite T-bird appearance in a movie?) I will observe:

14 hours ago, ElCid said:

The name stayed around, not the car.  The evolution of car design is not a phenomenon of the public consciousness, which has not a clue about design.  It is a marketing strategy developed by car manufacturers to promote sales by making it possible for new-car buyers to prove they had a new car and not an old model that was well-kept.

Not educated about the car industry in general, and the marketing history of the T-Bird in particular, I can't comment about its sales.  But before I accepted that the success of the new design is evidence of the failure of the old, I would need to know how the two models were marketed.  I'll start researching that tomorrow.

I had once considered a 240Z, but it was pricey, not comfortable and actually pretty bare bones. 

That must be why it was such a failure.  Oh, wait a minute, it was a spectacular success.  Huh.  It's a sad thing in this chauvinist world of ours that things are criticized for not being what they are not intended to be.  Of course the 240Z was bare bones.  It was not conceived as a luxury car, it was not designed as a luxury car and it was not built as one.  It was designed to be a nifty get-about, not overly powered, something light in the tail (as people have commented to me), intended for innocent fun.

Car companies that respond to the market go out of business.  Car companies that lead the market prevail.

• Haha 1