Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Re: "(...so, "Raiderette", eh?!...must have been during the time my favorite team to root against played their home games at the L.A. Coliseum, right?!)"

 I would've been especially jealous if Moe Howard had dropped an Embraceable Ewe...

 If I correctly recall, the Embraceable Ewes briefly sported something akin to Raquel Welch's suit seen here in Fathom (1967) - you'll notice I typed "briefly":

                                                                                                                                 51X94MjPJvL._AC_.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoShear said:

 

                                                                                                                                51X94MjPJvL._AC_.jpg

Which reminds me, IIRC HIGH BEAM headlights were actually the norm first! It was low beams that followed. Seems odd to me for some reason, I'd think would have been the other way around.

Here's Raquel as Myra Breckenridge driving her/his 1947 Lincoln Continental Convertible Cabriolet. NICE sealed beams on that one!

i521781.jpg

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here, this guy who fixes trannys is an animal. 

Normally in a forum I would just post a link to a YT channel, like this:
https://www.youtube.com/c/PrecisionTransmission/videos

But since everyone here likes to see embedded pretty pictures, twitter posts, and videos, here is one of his teardown videos.

 

And here he is rebuilding one.


This dude is wild.  What can I say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I kept seeing a great looking red auto in an Entresto commercial.  But while investigating, couldn't find the commercial, but THIS instead.  :wacko:

 

As of this entry, I haven't seen the commercial since the previous night.  After seeing this, I'll peel an eye(eeek!) to notice if they're really the same, or just similar.

Sepiatone

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

After perusing the whole thread, there are some awesome examples, many things I have never seen before. I am amazed at one glaring omission, one that is usually one of the first contributions to threads such as these. Although to be fair, it's expected that TCM posts might be of a more vintage nature, this car, and the film are classics, and the pairing almost didn't happen.

1w7RqJC.jpg

Pulp Fiction - Acura (Honda) NSX (Some debate whether this is a 91 or 92)

number-plate.gifNbMXSBu.jpg

Earlier I commented that Porsche 911s are probably the best all around sports car. This is true. They aren't the fastest, but it's the balance of all things, their forgiving nature in hard cornering along with ample power and braking abilities, that qualify them for such praise.

This goes double for the NSX. It is a modestly powered Formula One car with an aluminum body stuck on it. The MAN himself, 3 time Formula One world champ Ayrton Senna contributed to its design. It's generally considered that the NSX was produced to b!tchslap Ferrari. I don't know if it does that, but it is without a doubt a superiorly built car. I prefer it in black, like the one below.

07C6Vfb.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Question.  My wife and I have been watching Riviera on the Ovation network.  My wife asked what kind of car Julia Stiles drives and I had no idea, but I did recognize the BMW Rondel.  She drives a BMW i8 Roadster.  I assume it is either a Euro only model or one so expensive it is not seen often in America?  

2018 BMW i8 Roadster [I15]

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Question.  My wife and I have been watching Riviera on the Ovation network.  My wife asked what kind of car Julia Stiles drives and I had no idea, but I did recognize the BMW Rondel.  She drives a BMW i8 Roadster.  I assume it is either a Euro only model or one so expensive it is not seen often in America?  

2018 BMW i8 Roadster [I15]

I don't understand the question. Looks like it's what you say it is. There was one in HBOs Ballers too, might have been a coupe though. Prices aren't bad, there's a bunch of both for sale on Car Gurus. Coupes starting in the 50s, Roadsters under 100k. Considering how many are available, those prices are just a starting numbers.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I don't understand the question. Looks like it's what you say it is. There was one in HBOs Ballers too, might have been a coupe though. Prices aren't bad, there's a bunch of both for sale on Car Gurus. Coupes starting in the 50s, Roadsters under 100k. Considering how many are available, those prices are just a starting numbers.

OK, to clarify.  I did research it and discovered that Stiles drives a BMW i8 Roadster.  Guess my question is are they rare in America and/or on TV and in movies?  Of course not being a BMW fan, never really kept up with all the models they sell.  Find Mercedes-Benz even more confusing and I know a little bit about them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

OK, to clarify.  I did research it and discovered that Stiles drives a BMW i8 Roadster.  Guess my question is are they rare in America and/or on TV and in movies?  Of course not being a BMW fan, never really kept up with all the models they sell.  Find Mercedes-Benz even more confusing and I know a little bit about them.

Ah! I have seen them running around in Seattle often, no idea which model, but it's Seattle so assume some are the Roadsters. I don't keep up with BMW either. That is unless I see an old 2002. You know you've got a fellow gear-head behind the wheel there.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

United States[edit]

220px-BMW_i8_NY_Auto_Show_2014.jpg
 
BMW i8 production version exhibited at the 2014 New York International Auto Show.

Pricing for the BMW i8 destined for the U.S. market starts at US$135,925 including destination and handling fees and before any applicable government incentives.[6] First deliveries to retail customers in the U.S. took place at the 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on 15 August.[11] In order to commemorate the i8's American launch, a 2014 BMW i8 Concours d’Elegance Edition was auctioned during Gooding & Company’s annual Pebble Beach Auctions. This special edition car features BMW Individual Frozen Grey Metallic exterior paint, a Dalbergia Brown leather upholstery, trim accents in BMW i Blue, and other unique features. The car was sold for US$825,000 (€616,000 or GB£495,000) on 16 August 2014, six times the retail price of the i8. The proceedings go to the Pebble Beach Company Foundation.[93]

Sales in 2015 reached 2,265 units, up 308.1% from 2014.[94] A total of 6,776 units were sold through December 2019.[95]

U.S. Sales figures[edit]

Year 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2014-2019 Total
Units 555[96] 2,265[96] 1,594[96] 488[97] 772[98] 1,102[99] 6,776
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 10:38 PM, slaytonf said:

But, is it nice?

Apparently not as nice as the 1965 Autobianchi Bianchnia in How to Steal A Million (1966). It's been posted 4 times in the thread!

i010508.jpg

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 8:51 AM, Sepiatone said:

Nope.  Cute little b u g g e r though.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Well, that was my best guess. They were popping up a lot about a year ago, even have a few running around locally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Well, that was my best guess. They were popping up a lot about a year ago, even have a few running around locally. 

Interesting, Moe. Because the Nissan Figaro was made for the Japanese home market only and that every one of them is right hand drive, the ones you've seen must have been personally imported by someone over to your little garden spot there in the great Northwest.

(...although I do recall seeing one of these cute little retro-styled babies myself somewhere in L.A. a few years back)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2021 at 6:05 PM, Dargo said:

Interesting, Moe. Because the Nissan Figaro was made for the Japanese home market only and that every one of them is right hand drive, the ones you've seen must have been personally imported by someone over to your little garden spot there in the great Northwest.

(...although I do recall seeing one of these cute little retro-styled babies myself somewhere in L.A. a few years back)

 

I've seen one same color as the pic in my neighborhood. I didn't notice drive side. Used to see a pink one on the ferry back when I was commuting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2021 at 6:05 PM, Dargo said:

...the ones you've seen must have been personally imported by someone over to your little garden spot there in the great Northwest.

Living close to the border has a few advantages, circumventing the DOT regs on grey market imports is one. Of course I'm not suggesting our Figaro drivers employed such illicit means, but a few high performance cars and bikes have snuck in. You might remember those old GSXR precursors the 2-stroke RG500 ? The bikes were insane, lift the front tire at 100 mph by just rolling on the throttle, 4 time GP winner! I've only seen a few and they were all just driven across the border. 

Another example, the R5 Turbo 2. It was featured in a Pink Panther movie -I think, Son of- and the red head stepchild of Bond films Never Say Never Again.  Some of these came in the same way. 

i004347.jpg

9vsBF08.jpgv7GX8WJ.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...