Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Living close to the border has a few advantages, circumventing the DOT regs on grey market imports is one. Of course I'm not suggesting our Figaro drivers employed such illicit means, but a few high performance cars and bikes have snuck in. You might remember those old GSXR precursors the 2-stroke RG500 ? The bikes were insane, lift the front tire at 100 mph by just rolling on the throttle, 4 time GP winner! I've only seen a few and they were all just driven across the border. 

Another example, the R5 Turbo 2. It was featured in a Pink Panther movie -I think, Son of- and the red head stepchild of Bond films Never Say Never Again.  Some of these came in the same way. 

i004347.jpg

9vsBF08.jpgv7GX8WJ.jpg

Yep, those little mid-engine Renault pocket-rockets have become very desirable in the collector car market of late alright, Moe. I think they're at about $100K presently, if of course they're in excellent condition.

(...and yes, every Suzuki Gamma I've ever run across here in The States have been spirited across the Canadian border somehow...there's a couple of guys who ride into the Hansen Dam British Meet in SoCal on 'em every year...crazy fast bikes, like ya said...don't know how they get 'em registered, though)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who would have thought a movie by Eric Rohmer, by intention exercises in extended philosophizing, would be a source of nice cars.  But look, in La Collectionneuse (1967) you get:

1957 Bentley S1 Continental, which, yes, is a nice car:

i031832.jpg

and 1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider (not a good picture):

i031830.jpg

and a variety of MGs, including 1964 Midget MkII:

i031843.jpg

Rohmer's movies never make any sense to me.  Maybe that's why I like them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Rohmer's movies never make any sense to me.

Yet a matching Midget and Mini Moke is very nice and makes perfect sense! It has to answer at least a couple of life's mysteries.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

CANNONBALL RUN 1981 LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP400 S 

Cannonball_run.jpgdXsaxy5.jpg

Adrienne Barbeau and Tara Buckman drove the car and would make great use of their zippers to persuade highway patrolman. Looks like they're really enjoying themselves!

art-vin-lamborghinicountach1121112b.jpg?The LP400 S used in the movie was a gray market import owned by a Dr. in California.  For some reason he thought a front wing and fog lights were a nice addition. This version was the first year to go with the body styling we have come to know.

Previous models had no rear wing, appeared more sleek with fewer hard edge geometric shapes, thinner tires and no flairs over the wheels.

1920px-FoS20162016_0623_090034AA_(272507

By 1985 the USA would start getting DOT compliant models imported. The LP5000 Quattrovalvole shipped with Bosche K-Jetronic injection replacing the carbs to meet emissions and we get the hideous 5 MPH bumpers, which were routinely removed. 

I have always loved this year -sans bumpers, but there are a list of negatives. A couple are, getting in and out is something of an art unless you have legs like Cyd Charrise. Changing lanes has its own process since there is always someone pacing you in the blind spot. 

2560px-Lamborghini_Countach_US_spec_5000

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

Powerful.  Technologically sophisticated.  Intimidating.  Obscenely expensive.  But, no, not nice.

By todays standards, I'd say the first three have been nullified by obsolescence. The fourth. . . .eh. There's always deals to be found.  The fifth being completely subjective so here, we know you like this. Five times now.

i010508.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Powerful.  Technologically sophisticated.  Intimidating.  Obscenely expensive. 

So these are requirements? Because the 350 is just a 58 year old version of the 36 year old Countach, and if the Countach is obscenely expensive, what is something that is 2 to 3 times more expensive.

The GTV has been on television (Jay Leno's garage) the GT was in Her Private Hell, among others.

i001425082.jpg

The 350 a great looking car but I'd go with an early 70s Maserati Ghibli, similar look and a fraction of what the 350 costs. It's been in a bunch of movies including Gone in 60 Seconds 1972

i272799.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Just because one car is nice doesn't mean another car can't be nice--or wouldn't be nice if it were in a movie.

Now, why in the world does this thought sound like it could've been a Beach Boys song to me, I wonder?!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Powerful.  Technologically sophisticated.  Intimidating.  Obscenely expensive.  But, no, not nice.

Sorry slayton, but I agree with Moe here in regard to the Countach. 

The original Countach was a VERY "nice" (as in "nicely styled") car UNTIL they cluttered up its "niceness" and began adding all that aero-crap to its exterior and then needlessly giving this nice looking car that cartoonish "boy racer" look during its later run.

(...and have thought this since the day I first saw one back in the early-'70s)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Sorry slayton, but I agree with Moe here in regard to the Countach. 

The original Countach was a VERY "nice" (as in "nicely styled") car UNTIL they cluttered up its "niceness" and began adding all that aero-crap to its exterior and then needlessly giving this nice looking car that cartoonish "boy racer" look during its later run.

(...and have thought this since the day I first saw one back in the early-'70s)

The early model is just too plain for me Dargo, and those rears are simply not adequate. 85 was my year, and while I know that rear wing is actually an encumbrance, the car needs it. Love the look. Love the American made Vector too. But that car will have to wait for another lifetime.

1991 Vector W8 in Rising Sun 1993

i003243.jpg

W8_1.jpg

After these, few later cars do much for me, so I kinda understand where slayton is coming from. I haven't liked anything from Lambo since the 85 model. None of the hyper/super/whatever cars. If I was younger and could pull it off I'd still be chasing a streetable Porsche 917 knockoff, or Mclaren F1, or Vector W8. All well beyond my retirement pocketbook these days.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

The early model is just too plain for me Dargo, and those rears are simply not adequate. 85 was my year, and while I know that rear wing is actually an encumbrance, the car needs it. Love the look. Love the American made Vector too. But that car will have to wait for another lifetime.

1991 Vector W8 in Rising Sun 1993

i003243.jpg

W8_1.jpg

After these, few later cars do much for me, so I kinda understand where slayton is coming from. I haven't liked anything from Lambo since the 85 model. None of the hyper/super/whatever cars. If I was younger and could pull it off I'd still be chasing a streetable Porsche 917 knockoff, or Mclaren F1, or Vector W8. All well beyond my retirement pocketbook these days.

 

First here Moe and regarding the Vector...

My old Beck 550 Spyder (sold it recently ya know, and purchased a 2020 Fiat Abarth 124 Spider as its replacement...love the car so far, but I digress) was parked at the Starbucks here in Sedona a few years back. A guy walked up to me and asked if the 550 was mine, and we started talking. He told me that he also lived in Sedona and soon got around to telling me that he was one of the guys who worked on the Vector's design. We then discussed that company's trials and tribulations for about an hour. Nice guy. Wish I could remember his name, and haven't run into him since.

I wonder what the few Vectors ever made are going for now.

Secondly, and regarding the McLaren F1...

Flashback to the year 1970. I'm a young man of 18 who was VERY good at auto design and rendering pictures of cars of my own design. For two years and starting when I was 16, I had taken Saturday art classes in car design given by a man named Bruce Bollinger and who had retired after working under Harley Earle and Bill Mitchell at GM and had moved back to his hometown of L.A.  My ambition was to attend Pasadena's Art Center College of Design, the school from where Mr. Bollinger and so many other established car designers plying their trade for the one of the Detroit car makers at the time had graduated.

Well anyway, in 1970 I drew a car of my own design that looked uncannily like the F1. Fast forward two decades and when the F1 first debuted I couldn't help thinking that they had somehow "stolen" my design. I might still have that rendering around here somewhere, and if I can find it, I'll post a pic of it in this thread to prove what I'm telling ya here.

(...and btw, I still say I like the clean, uncluttered and yes maybe "plain" lines of the original Countach over all the following models)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And to finish my "F1" thought up there, Moe...

I guess what I was sayin' was basically...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47rbv2qo1pzrzzm9uwqb

"...in the car design biz, but got sucked into that Airline thing instead!"

;)

LOL

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Sorry slayton, but I agree with Moe here in regard to the Countach. 

The original Countach was a VERY "nice" (as in "nicely styled") car UNTIL they cluttered up its "niceness" and began adding all that aero-crap to its exterior and then needlessly giving this nice looking car that cartoonish "boy racer" look during its later run.

(...and have thought this since the day I first saw one back in the early-'70s)

I like the tone of this thread to be celebratory and upbeat, and--well, you know.  That's why I generally steer clear of criticism beyond saying something is not nice.  The Countach offers easy opportunity for biting satire, but I resist (something for which I will feel quite superior for all next week).  Instead I will deflect people's attention from conflict to areas of ready agreement.  And movies.

Apropos of Cutter's Way (1981), a movie good enough to hold my attention for about an hour, we get a 1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8:

i579912.jpg

Hm, not a great pic, but no loss, as Bone's Healey is in bad shape.  Here's a better pic:

1966_austin-healey_3000_bj8_mk_iii_15447

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I like the tone of this thread to be celebratory and upbeat, and--well, you know.  That's why I generally steer clear of criticism beyond saying something is not nice.  The Countach offers easy opportunity for biting satire, but I resist (something for which I will feel quite superior for all next week).  Instead I will deflect people's attention from conflict to areas of ready agreement.  And movies.

Apropos of Cutter's Way (1981), a movie good enough to hold my attention for about an hour, we get a 1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8:

i579912.jpg

Hm, not a great pic, but no loss, as Bone's Healey is in bad shape.  Here's a better pic:

1966_austin-healey_3000_bj8_mk_iii_15447

You should prompt Lorna over here slayton, as he said he wasn't familiar with the Austin-Healey marque in the Noir Alley thread.

(...that's a beautiful shot of one here too, btw)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

First here Moe and regarding the Vector...

My old Beck 550 Spyder (sold it recently ya know, and purchased a 2020 Fiat Abarth 124 Spider as its replacement...love the car so far, but I digress) was parked at the Starbucks here in Sedona a few years back. A guy walked up to me and asked if the 550 was mine, and we started talking. He told me that he also lived in Sedona and soon got around to telling me that he was one of the guys who worked on the Vector's design. We then discussed that company's trials and tribulations for about an hour. Nice guy. Wish I could remember his name, and haven't run into him since.

I wonder what the few Vectors ever made are going for now.

Secondly, and regarding the McLaren F1...

Flashback to the year 1970. I'm a young man of 18 who was VERY good at auto design and rendering pictures of cars of my own design. For two years and starting when I was 16, I had taken Saturday art classes in car design given by a man named Bruce Bollinger and who had retired after working under Harley Earle and Bill Mitchell at GM and had moved back to his hometown of L.A.  My ambition was to attend Pasadena's Art Center College of Design, the school from where Mr. Bollinger and so many other established car designers plying their trade for the one of the Detroit car makers at the time had graduated.

Well anyway, in 1970 I drew a car of my own design that looked uncannily like the F1. Fast forward two decades and when the F1 first debuted and I couldn't help thinking that they had somehow "stolen" my design. I might still have that rendering around here somewhere, and if I can find it, I'll post a pic of it in this thread to prove what I'm telling ya here.

(...and btw, I still say I like the clean, uncluttered and yes maybe "plain" lines of the original Countach over all the following models)

Vectors where made in Venice for a while, I lived there so we'd see them buzzing around occasionally. There was a show recently on Motortrend channel about Vector and Wiegert the guy who owned the company. After you hear him rattle on, you wonder how the company lasted as long as it did, it's all him, he did everything, on and on.  The guy still wants to kill Andre Agassi who he blames for damaging his companies rep.  Google that if you don't know the story.

Hat's off man. Good for you with the art/design thing. We have art school in common. Did your F1 employ the three seat configuration? If so, I'd dig that art out and call an Attorney.

I get it, the look isn't for everyone. My girlfriend at the time used to say my car looked like a refrigeration unit, and from overhead she has a solid point. 

440px-Lamborghini_Countach.png

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I like the tone of this thread to be celebratory and upbeat, and--well, you know.  That's why I generally steer clear of criticism beyond saying something is not nice.  The Countach offers easy opportunity for biting satire, but I resist (something for which I will feel quite superior for all next week).  Instead I will deflect people's attention from conflict to areas of ready agreement.  And movies.

Apropos of Cutter's Way (1981), a movie good enough to hold my attention for about an hour, we get a 1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8:

i579912.jpg

Hm, not a great pic, but no loss, as Bone's Healey is in bad shape.  Here's a better pic:

1966_austin-healey_3000_bj8_mk_iii_15447

This is I think the 4th 3000 Healy. Dargo and I posted the same pic which accounts for 2 of the posts.. So what the hell, let's see the video that introduced the car to MTV.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Vectors where made in Venice for a while, I lived there so we'd see them buzzing around occasionally. There was a show recently on Motortrend channel about Vector and Wiegert the guy who owned the company. After you hear him rattle on, you wonder how the company lasted as long as it did, it's all him, he did everything, on and on.  The guy still wants to kill Andre Agassi who he blames for damaging his companies rep.  Google that if you don't know the story.

Hat's off man. Good for you with the art/design thing. We have art school in common. Did your F1 employ the three seat configuration? If so, I'd dig that art out and call an Attorney.

I get it, the look isn't for everyone. My girlfriend at the time used to say my car looked like a refrigeration unit. 

 

LOL

Nope, the only rendering I did of my car was a 3/4 view of it just like this shot of this F1...

2-Front-Three.jpg

It had the very same split front grill, the same headlight positioning  and look, the same flow over the the wheelwells in profile, and same angle and width to the A and C pillars, and the same overall subtle wedge shape as does this F1 here. It didn't have that over-cockpit air-induction intake, though.

(...sure hope I can find that old rendering, and then you'd see)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

This is I think the 4th 3000 Healy. Dargo and I posted the same pic which accounts for 2 of the posts

From what movie?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info.  The car makes few notable appearances.  They include:

Night Must Fall (1964)

Father of the Bride (1991)

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

Murder at the Gallop (1963), if you want to call that notable.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Thanks for the info.  The car makes few notable appearances.  They include:

Night Must Fall (1964)

Father of the Bride (1991)

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

Murder at the Gallop (1963), if you want to call that notable.

 

 

What car?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2021 at 10:53 PM, slaytonf said:

I like the tone of this thread to be celebratory and upbeat, and--well, you know.  That's why I generally steer clear of criticism beyond saying something is not nice.  The Countach offers easy opportunity for biting satire, but I resist (something for which I will feel quite superior for all next week).  Instead I will deflect people's attention from conflict to areas of ready agreement.  And movies.

Apropos of Cutter's Way (1981), a movie good enough to hold my attention for about an hour, we get a 1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8:

i579912.jpg

Hm, not a great pic, but no loss, as Bone's Healey is in bad shape.  Here's a better pic:

1966_austin-healey_3000_bj8_mk_iii_15447

I always wanted a racing green Austin Healy 3000 like this when I was in college, but couldn't afford one. Had to settle for a beat up 1958 A. Healy Sprite (the early bug-eyed model) with a whopping 40 HP engine and SU (floating needle) carbs that had to be constantly synchronized. But still had a lot of fun when it wasn't broken down - once managed to pack 5 students into that little two seater and even managed to duck a cop who made a u-turn as soon as he passed me and saw my expired inspection sticker.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...