Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Tex said this was in 1970 remember, slayton. And so he was probably sportin' Huarache sandals on those feet of his instead.  ;)

And coincidentally here Tex, our family's SECOND second car (and after it being a 1953 Studebaker Champion 4-door sedan for many years) was also a two-tone turquoise and white '58 Chevy Bel Air four door hardtop (no B-pilar post) and similar to this one I found on the internet here...

YM=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Pop had run across it back in 1968 (I remember it being exactly ten years ago at the time) and brought it for my Mom as her daily driver. Its 283 small-block ran great but it needed its paint refreshened and some interior work, and so I remember them both working to make it look like new, with an Earl Scheib paint job in all its original colors, and my mom actually cut and fitted the new carpeting.

Sad ending though. After owning it for just a couple of months and after it was all fixed up, Pop had taken it to the local bowling alley one night, and when he walked out to drive home, yep, some SOB had stolen it.

(...and so then our family's THIRD second car would soon be a nice slightly used dark blue '67 VW Beetle)

I was only 7 so I was wearing Keds...

11 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I was only 7 so I was wearing Keds...

Aaah, and so...

(...although with you only being 7 at the time, you probably don't remember this old commerical, and whereas I remember it and its jingle quite well) ;)

• Like 2
On 8/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, Dargo said:

Aaah, and so...

(...although with you only being 7 at the time, you probably don't remember this old commerical, and whereas I remember it and its jingle quite well) ;)

Walking on sacred ground: I noticed you didn't joke about these, Dargo.

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Saw this impeccable 1928 roadster at the gas station after leaving the Capitol Theater, a 1928 movie palace in Rome NY-how fitting!

237791325_10159501099784489_866841420789

So Tiki. did you walk up to its owner and inquire anything about this car at all? 

Get it?! ;)  

OIP.N67jP7-aj4-wv-rQM8tY0QHaE9?pid=ImgDe

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Walking on sacred ground: I noticed you didn't joke about these, Dargo.

Why, NS! You sound as if you might have been a PF Flyers kind'a guy instead here!...

• Like 1
Just now, Dargo said:

Why, NS! You sound as if you might have been a PF Flyers kind'a guy instead here!...

Funny you should mention 'em, Dargo: I thought to but didn't post!

You know me too well.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NoShear said:

Re: "Funny you should mention 'em, Dargo: I thought to but didn't post!

You know me too well."

...or was it that you knew what went on over the hills and far away from you...     

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

The collective TCM boards: Uh, oh, Dargo and NoShear are heading towards another So Cal freakout...

• Haha 1
On 8/13/2021 at 8:08 PM, Dargo said:

Aaah, and so...

I remember it too and every boy in my neighborhood wore PF Flyers, they were all athletic boys. Of course since I was a little girl, when the girls wore sneakers they were, the flat canvas Keds. I still wore the white canvas Keds as an adult but now it's Sketchers, these older feet need more support LOL

• Like 2

I can't remember what brand of sneakers I had as a kid.  But probably some lesser brand my Mom likely got at Sears.  There were no such places as K-Mart, Spartan, Shopper's Fair, or really no kind of discount houses except maybe for S.S.Kresge. And Woolworth or Neisner's "five and dime" stores didn't carry much in the way of sneakers, what we used to call "tennis shoes" at the time.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I can't remember what brand of sneakers I had as a kid.  But probably some lesser brand my Mom likely got at Sears.  There were no such places as K-Mart, Spartan, Shopper's Fair, or really no kind of discount houses except maybe for S.S.Kresge. And Woolworth or Neisner's "five and dime" stores didn't carry much in the way of sneakers, what we used to call "tennis shoes" at the time.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I didn't wear Keds and not sure that many other guys wore them either.  At least not that I can recall.  We wore white "tennis" shoes, which weren't really tennis shoes but a cheaper version.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Man those sneakers are THE WORST for your feet. Zero support. I stopped wearing those by time I was 25.

By the time you were 25, what was the rush. 

Reminds me of a Woody Allen joke. “There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, ElCid said:

I didn't wear Keds and not sure that many other guys wore them either.  At least not that I can recall.  We wore white "tennis" shoes, which weren't really tennis shoes but a cheaper version.

Really, back in the '50's those white/black and red canvas shoes were what tennis pros wore.  And the high top Converse ones were worn by most NBA pros.  Luckily for them( and unfortunate for podiatry)  footwear for those sports(and for runners) improved tremendously by the late '60's and '70's.    My "tennis" shoes were at one time white canvas.  But I quickly changed that look and any attempts by my Mom to get them white again never seemed to work.  ;)   Or last.

18 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Man those sneakers are THE WORST for your feet. Zero support. I stopped wearing those by time I was 25.

Well, I quit wearing them long before that.  But in my 30's bought a pair(for the nostalgia kick) of red Converse high top sneakers.  And you're right.  Longest I was able to endure them was a half hour.  :huh:  And possibly because I got spoiled by my use of REEBOK  walkers.  ;)  Most comfy shoes I ever owned.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

That's a nice. . .shoe!

Doesn't have the same zing.

Nope, not to us gearheads, but to the all the young "sneakerheads" out there today, I'll betcha they would say it does.

• 5 weeks later...

Sat., 6:00 AM, Bachelor in Paradise.  A very good comedy with Bob Hope, Lana Turner, Janis Paige, Jim Hutton and Paula Prentiss.   Also some very nice Chrysler Corp. cars from 1960/61 period.