Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

When I was in high school and college in the 60's, this is car I most admired/wanted.  Of course a Jaq and so forth would have been better, but the Triumph Spitfire was great looking and more affordable.  Never got one which was just as well as they were not very dependable.

Sorry, not a movie car-but figured you guys would appreciate this...I recently passed the most exquisite fully restored 1950 Ford Country Squire tooling down the highway:

17490_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

It even had the white wall tires!

ford-woody-country-squire-station-wagon-

Did they always have wood sides? This one was just plain bright yellow with custom lettering, "Mom's School Bus" across the side. I have never seen this bubble style station wagon, it kind of reminds me of an ambulance.

Would these get better gas milage than a hearse?

MrTiki wants a custom Jaguar Hearse like Harold's. We occasionally look for old Volvo wagons for sale as a less expensive alternative, thank you Dargo. The longer we're together, the more I realize we ARE Harold & Maude so the car would be quite fitting, but boy I sure love this Country Squire.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Sorry, not a movie car-but figured you guys would appreciate this...I recently passed the most exquisite fully restored 1950 Ford Country Squire tooling down the highway:

17490_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

It even had the white wall tires!

ford-woody-country-squire-station-wagon-

Did they always have wood sides? This one was just plain bright yellow with custom lettering, "Mom's School Bus" across the side. I have never seen this bubble style station wagon, it kind of reminds me of an ambulance.

Would these get better gas milage than a hearse?

MrTiki wants a custom Jaguar Hearse like Harold's. We occasionally look for old Volvo wagons for sale as a less expensive alternative, thank you Dargo. The longer we're together, the more I realize we ARE Harold & Maude so the car would be quite fitting, but boy I sure love this Country Squire.

That appears to be a 1950 Ford with a V8.  You can see the 8 in the center of the grill.   Also appears that the turn signals/parking lights don't work as the two orange lights are not standard.  1953 was the last year for Ford woodies.  After that they used Di-Noc vinyl, fiberglass and other materials to imitate wood on the sides. 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Tony Randall and the 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster he drives in the movie Pillow Talk...

i508424.jpg

(...cars don't come any nicer than this one)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Tony Randall and the 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster he drives in the movie Pillow Talk...

i508424.jpg

(...cars don't come any nicer than this one)

I think one of your earlier submissions is worthy of your above praise, Dargo: 

Lincoln-Futura-rear.jpg

18 minutes ago, NoShear said:

I think one of your earlier submissions is worthy of your above praise, Dargo: 

Lincoln-Futura-rear.jpg

Ah yes! The 1954 Lincoln Futura concept car. And later on to be garaged in Bruce Wayne's bat cave.

(...well, after custon car builder George Barris applied some changes to it anyway)

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Ah yes! The 1954 Lincoln Futura concept car. And later on to be garaged in Bruce Wayne's bat cave.

(...well, after custon car builder George Barris applied some changes to it anyway)"

In case you were wondering about this Valley boy, yes, I got to see its BAT-ardization in its other garage when I was a kid, Dargo:

ce6141c4748c2e812d4911f51cae6ce8.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NoShear said:

In case you were wondering about this Valley boy, yes, I got to see its BAT-ardization in its other garage when I was a kid, Dargo:

ce6141c4748c2e812d4911f51cae6ce8.jpg

Wow! Cool.

So, you lived pretty close to Barris' shop there, eh NS? 

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wow! Cool.

So, you lived pretty close to Barris' shop there, eh NS? 

Well, I was not next to his shop - much to his relief, Dargo, but in his proverbial backyard.

16 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Well, I was not next to his shop - much to his relief, Dargo, but in his proverbial backyard.

Lemme guess here.

You'd ride your Schwinn Stingray over to his shop every so often to check out his latest creations, right?!  ;)

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

From the Antiques Road Trip front, rather the Celebrity Antiques Road Trip front, as the current regular Trip series is frustratingly unavailable:

1972 Buick Boat-tail Riviera

classic-1972-buick-riviera-boat-tail-cou

Not an entirely unattractive undertaking.  Normally I don't take to the sheet metal expanses of this era, boats in the whole, as opposed to just boat-tails.  

• Like 1

And speaking of big (and I mean BIG) and bright red American "boats" (or sometimes also referred to as "Yank Tanks")...

i417794.jpg

Lindsay Crouse (yeah yeah, I know...doesn't she look like Don Grady from 'My Three Sons' fame here??? LOL) stepping into (or maybe out of) a 

1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible in the 1987 film House of Games.

33 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

For some reason you pic didn't come through, Dargo.  

Interesting, as it sure popped up on my computer screen again and after just now coming back to your thread to see what your reply to me was here.

Maybe try refreshing your display.

(...and once it DOES show up on your screen...am I RIGHT?!...she DOES look like Don Grady there, doesn't SHE?!) ;)

LOL

10 hours ago, slaytonf said:

It's my browser.  I tried a different one and the pic came up.  The car looks like it could munch serious pavement.

Oh, it could alright.

In 1965 and when I was 13, my father purchased a very nice used  '62 Caddy Sedan Deville (four door hardtop with no B-pilar) just like this one here in Burgundy red metallic paint and white leather interior...

00L0L_aYbLatztATr_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

...and during that summer, he and my mom and I  hopped in that big ol' boat and cruised effortlessly from L.A. to Yellowstone N.P. and back.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh, it could alright.

In 1965 and when I was 13, my father purchased a very nice used  '62 Caddy Sedan Deville (four door hardtop with no B-pilar) just like this one here in Burgundy red metalic paint and white leather interior...

...and during that summer, he and my mom and I  hopped in that big ol' boat and cruised effortlessly from L.A. to Yellowstone N.P. and back.

Just being pedantic, but in "car speak" hardtop means no B pillar.  Manufacturers originally referred to them as "hardtop convertibles," but that was totally confusing/misleading so they eventually dropped the convertible part.

54 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Just being pedantic, but in "car speak" hardtop means no B pillar.  Manufacturers originally referred to them as "hardtop convertibles," but that was totally confusing/misleading so they eventually dropped the convertible part.

Yep. Thanks Cid, but I did know this, and only included that for those around here who might not have known the difference between the traditionally applied terms of "sedan" and "hardtop".

(...however, and considering that most all of those who frequent slayton's thread here probably already knew this, I suppose this little bit of info was probably, ahem, "superfluous" on my part, wasn't it) ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Not in ALL cases,  m'boy.  ;) 

One of my uncles had one of these.  It was SO cool!  :) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh, it could alright.

In 1965 and when I was 13, my father purchased a very nice used  '62 Caddy Sedan Deville (four door hardtop with no B-pilar) just like this one here in Burgundy red metallic paint and white leather interior...

Looks like you could have taken a big chunk of it back home with you. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Not in ALL cases,  m'boy.  ;) 

One of my uncles had one of these.  It was SO cool!  :) 

Sepiatone

Had an uncle who had two teenage daughters.  He bought one so he could keep them at home.  Didn't work though - both got married before finishing high school or right after.

I was prompted by Fred Astaire's car in The Gay Divorcée (1934) to go to IMCDB to find it out (1931 MG J2 Midget).  I saw Ginger Rogers had a Duesenberg, but naturally I'd thought I'd done that.  Imagine my surprise to see a B-b-bugatti in the movie, too!  Now, next to the E-Type Jaguar, the Bugatti is the sexiest car alive.  The one in this movie, a 1928 Type 38A Murphy Roadster:

th?id=OIP.gvgnViJ4ZMOr8ktw8K2oeQHaFj%26p

is not quite the ideal roadsters of a few years earlier, but I wouldn't turn it down.

Anyway, checking the history of this thread, I found I'd completely overlooked this movie!  With three-count 'em- three nice cars in it.  Well, I correct that now:

1929 Duesenberg J

e25a81c8abfc7d068913e9cb56f33327.jpg&f=1

And the Midget:

13342977.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2
On 11/15/2021 at 1:29 AM, Dargo said:

Oh, it could alright.

Well, if that's it's original color then chances are VERY good that my Dad painted the hood and fenders. That was at the old Cadillac assembly plant on Clark St. in Detroit. The rest(from windshield back) would have come to the plant already painted at the FLEETWOOD plant on Fort St., Detroit five miles away.  :)  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1