Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

slaytonf

The 1951 Chevrolet Styleline De Luxe convertible, that in his very last film role, Steve McQueen drove as his primarily transport in the movie The Hunter (1980)...

i204974.jpg

And now for SansFin, here's a shot of him driving it...

R.f305ccc15f330184ac47bacea6009bbf?rik=i

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the Antiques Roadshow (UK series) front, from a show at Brooklands, England's first racetrack, a 1936 Lagonda LG45R12:

1936_Lagonda_LG45R12.jpg

Not as sexy as a Bugatti, but still nice.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 5:52 PM, slaytonf said:

Oh, no.  Another motorcycle.  1938 Ariel Square Four 1000 in A Matter of Life and Death (1946):

4987534871_802e0425e1_b.jpg

Golly.

Oh  no! And so then here comes yet another motorcycle, slayton ol' boy, and seein' as how you've seemed to have opened the (garage) door to this possibility here. ;)  

A postwar Indian Chief police model: 

EJ%2BV5MzROuQ8Qt7L45kw1stpD4wBRDVGcvriJM

And, as seen during the climatic taxi being chased by the NYPD sequence in one of the great classic musicals of all time, On The Town (1949):

on-the-town-indian-chief-crop-c0-5__0-5-

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh  no! And so then here comes yet another motorcycle, slayton ol' boy, and seein' as how you've seemed to have opened the (garage) door to this possibility here. ;)  

A postwar Indian Chief police model: 

EJ%2BV5MzROuQ8Qt7L45kw1stpD4wBRDVGcvriJM

And, as seen during the climatic taxi being chased by the NYPD sequence in one of the great classic musicals of all time, On The Town (1949):

on-the-town-indian-chief-crop-c0-5__0-5-

Now, wait just a minute here, Dargo: Wasn't it you who once scared me about slaytonf for posting a two-wheeler here?!

3 hours ago, NoShear said:

Now, wait just a minute here, Dargo: Wasn't it you who once scared me about slaytonf for posting a two-wheeler here?!

;)

True NS, I did, but like I said up there, slayton kind'a opened the door to this when he posted that shot of the Ariel Square Four that Roger Livesey meets his maker on in that one Powell-Pressburger flick, and so got the feeling that slayton has relaxed his "no motorcycle policy" in his thread here just a bit.

And, perhaps confirmed by the fact that he even gave me a "like" response to it.

(...also gotta say I loved his funny use of the Young Frankenstein clip too, and which I took as an expression of mock shock on his part)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Re: "And, perhaps confirmed by the fact that he even gave me a "like" response to it."

Yeah, that's kind of pushing it to be sure, but I won't take advantage of it - you know, Dargo, '70s Valley kid with BMX and motocross temptations - not good!! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

;)

True NS, I did, but like I said up there, slayton kind'a opened the door to this when he posted that shot of the Ariel Square Four that Roger Livesey meets his maker on in that one Powell-Pressburger flick, and so got the feeling that slayton has relaxed his "no motorcycle policy" in his thread here just a bit.

And, perhaps confirmed by the fact that he even gave me a "like" response to it.

(...also gotta say I loved his funny use of the Young Frankenstein clip too, and which I took as an expression of mock shock on his part)

Here's a safe entry, Dargo. I noticed it during TCM's latest screening of Valley of the Dolls - a '65 Corvette STING-RAY which I took as something of a be-careful-what-you-wish-for "prop":

i193448.jpg 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, NoShear said:

Here's a safe entry, Dargo. I noticed it during TCM's latest screening of Valley of the Dolls - a '65 Corvette STING-RAY which I took as something of a be-careful-what-you-wish-for "prop":

i193448.jpg 

Nice!

Ya know NS, C2's are still my favorite generation of all the Corvettes, and from the time this then 10 y/o caught his first glimpse of one back in late-1962.

Btw, take a gander at this resto-moded '63 Split Window coupe that went for $385,000 on the Bring a Trailer auction website this past January. It's freakin' gorgeous...

1963_chevrolet_corvette_DSCF8625-1.jpg?f

1963_chevrolet_corvette_DSCF8688-1.jpg?w

LS3-Powered 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split-Window Coupe 5-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $385,000 on January 15, 2022 (Lot #63,526) | Bring a Trailer

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nice!

Ya know NS, C2's are still my favorite generation of all the Corvettes, and from the time this then 10 y/o caught his first glimpse of one back in late-1962.

Btw, take a gander at this resto-moded '63 Split Window coupe that went for $385,000 on the Bring a Trailer auction website this past January. It's freakin' gorgeous...

LS3-Powered 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split-Window Coupe 5-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $385,000 on January 15, 2022 (Lot #63,526) | Bring a Trailer

That's awesome, Dargo: You were at ground zero for the STING-RAY (read: split-window)!!

As I previously related to you, a combo of they look nice exterior-wise but don't look under the hood and my insurance agent cooled my enthusisam for the C2s back in the Eighties.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nice!

Let me state upfront, I know very little about cars and am probably wrong, but are those original wheels? They look more modern to me.

8 minutes ago, Fading Fast said:

Let me state upfront, I know very little about cars and am probably wrong, but are those original wheels? They look more modern to me.

No, you're right, FF. This particular Corvette is now what is known as a "Restomod", and which means it has gone through a process which entails updating many of its components with more modern units.

If you click on the 'Bring a Trailer' link I supplied, you'd see how many other parts of this particular Corvette have been updated. It's quite extensive and even includes a more solid custom-built tubular chassis in this case and with only the very best and highest quality components being used throughout.

(...and thus the reason it went for $385K in this auction)

• Thanks 1

Just now, ElCid said:

For me, the last decent looking Corvette was in 1962.  Actually never cared much for Corvettes anyway.

Didn't care for the hidden headlight look, eh Cid?

(...ya know, the rear ends of the '61 and'62 Vettes were very similarly styled to next generation C2's, don't ya)

51 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Didn't care for the hidden headlight look, eh Cid?

(...ya know, the rear ends of the '61 and'62 Vettes were very similarly styled to next generation C2's, don't ya)"

Dargo, I can't recall if the following pair of prototypes, the Mako Sharks, have been posted yet somewhere on this thread, but we would be remiss to overlook them in discussion of C2s - and C3s should they come up:

page19_10.jpg                                                                                                                                                          

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

$142M Mercedes-Benz is Officially the Most Expensive Car Sale Ever

107064120-D140595.jpg?v=1652989300&w=740

And for thread legitimacy here, a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR is featured in the film Roadracers (a low-budget 1959 American-International Pictures production), and one is also featured in the film Deadly Duo (another low-budget 1962 United Artists production)...both of which, for some reason, the IMCDb website will not allow me to post their images of here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And for thread legitimacy here, a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR is featured in the film Roadracers (a low-budget 1959 American-International Pictures production) and one is also featured in the film Deadly Duo (another low-budget 1962 United Artists production).

Thanks for providing the link here, Dargo, as I picked up some more vintage automotive trivia with it...

Interesting to note that the Silver Arrow coupes are said to have been able to do 180 mph: If I correctly recall, that's the same slip-streaming speed mentioned in Grand Prix (1966) in the context of Monza - eleven years later!!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And for thread legitimacy here, a Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR is featured in the film Roadracers (a low-budget 1959 American-International Pictures production), and one is also featured in the film Deadly Duo (another low-budget 1962 United Artists production)...both of which, for some reason, the IMCDb website will not allow me to post their images of here.

Huh.  You know, I could think of a lot of better things to do with 142 million dollars--like buy a country.

• Haha 1

I'd still rather have my frumpy '64 Falcon instead of a sporty Mercedes.  I'm not impressed.   Sports cars and/or 'sporty' cars aren't my 'thing'.  Meh. 

I could buy myself a dowdy1975 Ford Granada and save 141,996,500 dollars . . .

The Mercedes front end looks like an INSECT.   And very similar to the ugly Mercury Sables of the mid-90s.  Ugly things all. 

11 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I'd still rather have my frumpy '64 Falcon instead of a sporty Mercedes.  I'm not impressed.   Sports cars and/or 'sporty' cars aren't my 'thing'.  Meh. 

The Mercedes front end looks like an INSECT.   And very similar to the ugly Mercury Sables of the mid-90s.  Ugly things all. 

Also, these cars were a real pain in the a$$ to get in and out of.  Note how high the door entrance is.  That's because of the frame being so high at the bottom of the door opening.  If I remember correctly, Daimler-Benz never intended to market these cars, but the US importer of Benz's lobbied them hard to do so.  So, they cobbled a race car into a street legal car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Oh yeah, Mr. G! Thanks for pointing out the vast similarities between the front end of this Merc(edes)...

Mercedes-Benz-300_SLR-1955-1600-03.jpg

...and with that of this mid-'90s Merc(ury) Sable...

1993_mercury_sable_4_dr_ls_sedan-pic-348

Why, I can't believe I've never noticed this before!   

LOL <---my laughter here signifying that there is in fact NO similarities to be made here.

However and to another point that you and slayton made here...have to agree with you guys that NO car ever made would or should be worth this obscene amount of money, but there are so many high rollers out there now days who have an obscene amount of money that this is now where the market stands for such limited edition types of cars such as this GORGEOUS Benz here and which in its case owns one of the most impressive racing pedigrees in the annuls of motorsports.

(...well, at least until the next stock market crash comes around anyway. and which will probably happen within the next couple of years)

• Like 1