Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

slaytonf

Sorry slayton, but while this following post of mine here isn't about a car in a movie (this particular car, that is), I just have to share this with all here.

So, I'm riding my Indian motorcycle through the town of Cottonwood AZ yesterday and see this 1959 DeSoto Firesweep  sitting parked on the street...

dfUa1Hd.jpg

Because the '57-'59 DeSotos have always been my favorite of all the Virgil Exner designed "Forward Look" models from the Chrysler Corp during this period, I just had to pull over and take some shots of it...and yes, share them in your thread here, and because, well because, you DO have to admit that it IS "a nice car" and just as the topic heading reads in your thread here, right?! ;) 

hl0wLNT.jpg

BTIl4k6.jpg

Notice here how the shade of red on my motorcycle is almost a perfect match with that of the DeSoto's top. Don't these two vehicles look great together?!

3QoCZa9.jpg

Met the owner of the DeSoto, too. A very nice guy who during our probably 30 minute talk (wouldn't let the poor guy leave, although he didn't seem to mind at all) told me that he had purchased it just last year. When I asked him if he'd mind telling me what he paid for it, he told me $28K. I told him that he basically stole this beauty at that price and that he could probably easily resale it at the "Bring a Trailer" classic car/motorcyle auction website for well over twice or even much more than that amount.

MAN! What a car!

(...and yes Cid, I thought of you for a second while drooling over this beauty, as I believe this car model is your avatar around here, isn't it?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not in a movie. . . and you're riding a motorcycle.  Oh no--

(well, at least it's an Indian.)

Firesweeps in movies:

1959:  The Accidental Tourist (1988)

1958:  The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds (1972), The Cars That Ate Paris (1974)

1957:  Lolita (1962)

And who could forget the timeless appearance of a '58 in I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)?

Like other movie stars, it migrated to TV, with appearances in The Twilight Zone and Mannix.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Sorry slayton, but while this following post of mine here isn't about a car in a movie (this particular car, that is), I just have to share this with all here.

So, I'm riding my Indian motorcycle through the town of Cottonwood AZ yesterday and see this 1959 DeSoto Firesweep  sitting parked on the street...

dfUa1Hd.jpg

Because the '57-'59 DeSotos have always been my favorite of all the Virgil Exner designed "Forward Look" models from the Chrysler Corp during this period, I just had to pull over and take some shots of it...and yes, share them in your thread here, and because, well because, you DO have to admit that it IS "a nice car" and just as the topic heading reads in your thread here, right?! ;) 

hl0wLNT.jpg

BTIl4k6.jpg

Notice here how the shade of red on my motorcycle is almost a perfect match with that of the DeSoto's top. Don't these two vehicles look great together?!

3QoCZa9.jpg

Met the owner of the DeSoto, too. A very nice guy who during our probably 30 minute talk (wouldn't let the poor guy leave, although he didn't seem to mind at all) told me that he had purchased it just last year. When I asked him if he'd mind telling me what he paid for it, he told me $28K. I told him that he basically stole this beauty at that price and that he could probably easily resale it at the "Bring a Trailer" classic car/motorcyle auction website for well over twice or even much more than that amount.

MAN! What a car!

(...and yes Cid, I thought of you for a second while drooling over this beauty, as I believe this car model is your avatar around here, isn't it?)

Thanks!  Beautiful car.

Actually my avatar is a '59 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman.  The Firesweep was De Soto's last gasp at trying to save itself.   Introduced in 1957 and based on the Dodge platform rather than the De Soto platform.  It was a lower priced De Soto and did attract some new purchasers to the make, but then the quality control problems for all Chryslers surfaced and De Soto sales plummeted.   Also, Chrysler concluded that the Firesweep was taking sales from Dodge.

1961 was last year for De Soto.  1959 was last year De Soto had any decent models. 

In my opinion, 1959 produced the best looking De Soto's.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Thanks!  Beautiful car.

Actually my avatar is a '59 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman.  The Firesweep was De Soto's last gasp at trying to save itself.   Introduced in 1957 and based on the Dodge platform rather than the De Soto platform.  It was a lower priced De Soto and did attract some new purchasers to the make, but then the quality control problems for all Chryslers surfaced and De Soto sales plummeted.   Also, Chrysler concluded that the Firesweep was taking sales from Dodge.

1961 was last year for De Soto.  1959 was last year De Soto had any decent models. 

Actually here Cid, this post of yours has made me reconsider and now re-identify this car I happened upon the other day. 

It WAS in fact a Fireflite Sportsman model and not a Firesweep, as I recall its owner telling me the very same history which you just have here and of how his DeSoto was based on the "smaller" Dodge platform than on the larger one. He also said the engine in it was actually of a Dodge design as well...although I've forgotten what displacement he said it was. 318 c/i, maybe??? 

(...in fact, you can see the chrome "Sportsman" badges on the rear flanks of the car just above and behind its rear wheelwells)

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Actually here Cid, this post of yours has made me reconsider and now re-identify this car I happened upon the other day. 

It WAS in fact a Fireflite Sportsman model and not a Firesweep, as I recall its owner telling me the very same history which you just have here and of how his DeSoto was based on the "smaller" Dodge platform than on the larger one. He also said the engine in it was actually of a Dodge design as well...although I've forgotten what displacement he said it was.

(...in fact, you can see the chrome "Sportsman" badges on the rear flanks of the car just above and behind its rear wheelwells)

Unless I am mistaken Sportsman was any De Soto hardtop (no "B" pillar).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Unless I am mistaken Sportsman was any De Soto hardtop (no "B" pillar).

You might be right. In fact once again, I think I also remember the owner of this car explaining something along these lines as well.

Perhaps the reason I can't remember all that he told me is two-fold.

For one, I was probably MUCH too busy drooling over his baby while checkin' it out and so he didn't have my complete and undivided attention.

(...and with two of course being, well, let's just say I ain't gettin' any younger, ya know)  ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Thanks!  Beautiful car.

After now re-reading this earlier post of yours here Cid, it appears we're back to this gorgeous old car being a "Firesweep" and not a "Fireflite" aren't we, and considering what the owner told me about his car being based on the "smaller" Dodge platform.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

But I'll bet it can get you to WallyWorld with no problem!  ;) 

Sepiatone

LOL

Well, no problem as long as:

a) You don't fall asleep while operating the vehicle.

b) You don't take the wrong road during a side excursion to see The Grand Canyon.

c) You keep your eyes on the road ahead if and/or when a particular 1980s supermodel driving a red Ferrari might pull up next to you and begin flirting with you while you're traveling  at 65mph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And don't forget the dog leashed to the rear bumper.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Well, THIS would of course ONLY affect your overall mileage, and not so much your Wagon Queen Family Truckster's reliabilty to take you all the way to Wally World.

(...and what with the added drag effect)

• Haha 1

I owe two apologies for posting this because:

1) It is only a motorcycle and not an automobile.

and

2) It has not to my knowledge appeared in any movie.

I am posting it because I deeply wish to see a movie in which it has a considerable presence. The world in which such things are common would be very interesting.

TOFleZS.jpg

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I owe two apologies for posting this because:

1) It is only a motorcycle and not an automobile.

and

2) It has not to my knowledge appeared in any movie.

I am posting it because I deeply wish to see a movie in which it has a considerable presence. The world in which such things are common would be very interesting.

TOFleZS.jpg

I had no idea you were such a big steampunk aficionado, Sans?!

However, I'm of course now moved to ask what exactly you meant with your "ONLY a motorcycle" choice of words here, HUH?

Don't you know motorcycles are every bit as cool as cars are?!

(...okay, alright...THIS time I'll give you a pass on this, but ONLY because of slayton's feelings about this sort'a thing in his thread here)  ;) 

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

I had no idea you were such a big steampunk aficionado, Sans?!

However, I'm of course now moved to ask what exactly you meant with your "ONLY a motorcycle" choice of words here, HUH?

Don't you know motorcycles are every bit as cool as cars are?!

(...okay, alright...THIS time I'll give you a pass on this, but ONLY because of slayton's feelings about this sort'a thing in his thread here)  ;) 

I see it as a type of minimalist Steampunk. A true Victorian version would have the boiler enclosed in a pierced and gilded outer shell and there would be a dashboard bank of dials and gauges. 

I know that you have a passion for all the different types of Harleys but you must admit the truth that they are not real vehicles as automobiles are. They can be very cool but skateboards, bicycles, and pogo sticks can be cool also. ;) 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SansFin said:

I know that you have a passion for all the different types of Harleys but you must admit the truth that they are not real vehicles as automobiles are. They can be very cool but skateboards, bicycles, and pogo sticks can be cool also. ;) 

LOL

Good attempt at tryin' to get my ire up here Sans, but sorry, it ain't gonna work. 

Nope, not even by your use of suggesting there would be some strange sort'a "cool" correlation between those "vehicles" you mentioned that are human-powered and with that of engine/motor-driven vehicles such as cars and motorcycles.

And, to say nothing of your above misguided suggestion that all motorcycles are just derivatives of the Harley-Davidson brand.

(...but as I said here, good try anyway, my ol' friend)  ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

But there have also been a class of automobiles known as "motorcycle cars".

triking-cyclecar.jpg

Sepiatone

Very true, Sepia. Three-wheelers like what looks like a Morgan here have been around since the advent of both cars and motorcycles. And FYI, in most states three-wheelers are classified as motorcycles by their respective vehicle codes.

And now, and so slayton here won't think we've forgotten the original concept of his thread here, I'll now post a Morgan similar to the one above which the IMCDb website shows as being featured in the 2016 movie Pee-wee's Big Holiday...

i897507.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1