Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

slaytonf

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nope, not even by your use of suggesting there would be some strange sort'a "cool" correlation between those "vehicles" you mentioned that are human-powered and with that of engine/motor-driven vehicles such as cars and motorcycles.

7RFTkfR.jpg

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

7RFTkfR.jpg

Hmmm...now what is the word I'm tryin' to think of here to perhaps better describe these objects than as "vehicles" and which you've posted as your rebutal to me here, Sans???

Oh yeah..."Novelties".

(...yeah, that's it...THAT'S the word I was thinkin' of here!...uh-huh, mere "novelties") ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Hmmm...now what is the word I'm tryin' to think of here to perhaps better describe these objects than as "vehicles" and which you've posted as your rebutal to me here, Sans???

Oh yeah..."Novelties".

(...yeah, that's it...THAT'S the word I was thinkin' of here!...uh-huh, mere "novelties") ;)

Your contention seemed to be that motorcycles qualified as vehicles because they have engines. I wished merely to point out that there are people who will put an engine on whatever is handy and that does not mean it qualifies as an automobile.

Please be assured that I do not mean to imply that motorcycles are not nice things. I am sad to say that having wheels and being nice does not place them in the same class as an automobile. 

I honestly never heard of motorcycle cars until seeing the guys on "American Pickers" run across a few on that show.  Some from the '20's and '30's and big in England too. 

Sepiatone

On 8/7/2022 at 11:49 PM, SansFin said:

Your contention seemed to be that motorcycles qualified as vehicles because they have engines. I wished merely to point out that there are people who will put an engine on whatever is handy and that does not mean it qualifies as an automobile.

Please be assured that I do not mean to imply that motorcycles are not nice things. I am sad to say that having wheels and being nice does not place them in the same class as an automobile. 

Well heck, Sans! IF you aren't, never have been NOR will never be a "Motorcycle Mama/Biker Chick", just come out and SAY SO here, for goshsakes!!!  ;)

LOL

Back to cars in movies

We watched To Catch a Thief the other night and my wife, who is not a car person, was impressed by the car Grace Kelly was driving. 1955 Sunbeam Alpine Mark III, if I am not mistaken.

sunbeamalpine30qq.7224.jpgimage.jpeg.558cd130d0b78d2cc6f7475ff95b10fc.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well heck, Sans! IF you aren't, never have been NOR will never be a "Motorcycle Mama/Biker Chick", just come out and SAY SO here, for goshsakes!!!  ;)

LOL

It is unladylike to ride a motorcycle in public. I only throw my leg over something and act wild and crazy in private.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SansFin said:

It is unladylike to ride a motorcycle in public. I only throw my leg over something and act wild and crazy in private.

Why SANS!!! I had NO idea that you were so, well, sexist?!!! It's "unladylike to ride a motorcycle", you SAY???

(...yeah yeah, actually I got it...punchlines only work when there's a set-up to 'em first, huh)  ;) 

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Why SANS!!! I had NO idea that you were so, well, sexist?!!! It's "unladylike to ride a motorcycle", you SAY???

(...yeah yeah, actually I got it...punchlines only work when there's a set-up to 'em first, huh)  ;) 

Ladies ride sidesaddle. That is not sexist. That is acknowledgement of real-world physiological differences between male and female and specific risk of injury inherent to each design.

Can a motorcycle be ridden sidesaddle? 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Ladies ride sidesaddle. That is not sexist. That is acknowledgement of real-world physiological differences between male and female and specific risk of injury inherent to each design.

Can a motorcycle be ridden sidesaddle? 

Wait a sec here, Sans!

Shirley, ahem, I mean SURELY you know the ONLY reason for women back in the day riding sidesaddle was because in the more sexist past it was deemed "unladylike" for women to wear pants? And so the whole concept of riding in that manner was to afford women the opportunity to still ride horses but while wearing their frilly little dresses?

Nope, I'm pretty sure that whole "physiological differences" thing you've now brought up here was never a factor in this, as IF it were, wouldn't ya think the idea of, say, a horse saddle's horn possibly causing a bigger "owie" inflicted upon a man's crotch area would be greater than to a woman's crotch area during a worst case sceanario type situation?

And no, one can not ride a motorcycle sidesaddle,  or at least it would be very inadvisable to so and regardless the gender of the rider, and if for no other reason than because the foot controls on motorcycles consist of a rear brake lever on one side and the gearbox shift lever being on the other side. 

(...good try here though...and even though I know your post was meant in jest...well, I HOPE it was anyway!)  ;)

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nope, I'm pretty sure that whole "physiological differences" thing you've now brought up here was never a factor in this, as IF it were, wouldn't ya think the idea of, say, a horse saddle's horn possibly causing a bigger "owie" inflicted upon a man's crotch area would be greater than to a woman's crotch area during a worst case sceanario type situation?

I had the exact same idea after reading Sansfin post,  and before reading your post.   Dead or Alive (Steve McQueen western T.V. show),  had something about that related to the western saddle verses the English saddle (since a chap from England was working with Steve).      Some cowboys were laughing at the Englishman and asking how one stays on that saddle.  There was also the concern about hitting that sensitive section.    The English man said it was all in moving one's body in rhythm with the horse.    That takes some training.   If one doesn't do that,,, well,   that is a ball buster!

• Like 1

I don't know if it's been posted before, but it would merit another one anyway.  From the the Antiques Roadtrip front, a 1970 Triumph Stag:

Triumph-Stag-the-market-scaled.jpg

The one in the show was blue, but this is the best pic of one I could find.  Oh, golly, it's nice.

• Like 3

Triumph Stag from They Only Kill Their Masters with James Garner.  Peter Lawford is behind the wheel of the Stag.  There was a similar looking Stag driven by the coroner in The Girl in the Empty Grave with Andy Griffith.  However, best I can tell it is not the same one.

Masters and The Girl were both written by Lane Slate and he may have been involved in producing them.  Griffith and Garner were both named Abel Marsh in the two movies.

1972 Triumph Stag Mk1

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

From The Avengers, Season 5, Episode 14, Something Nasty in the Nursery (1967), a Jaguar you don't often see, a 420 G--kinda sedanny, but still nice:

vehicle_ad_standard_image_14dea2c8638404

Yep, a beautiful sedan alright!

Still it must be said what a shame it was/is that its electrical system was supplied by...

YquAXXDjkc=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Like 1
  • Haha 1