Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's a nice car!

they were notorious for failures, especially after the 2nd or 3rd year.

It is my understanding that the cause of most problems was the electrical system. They used Lucas wiring. Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.

6eL7CLZ.jpg

• Like 2

It is my understanding that the cause of most problems was the electrical system. They used Lucas wiring. Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.

6eL7CLZ.jpg

Exactly, the bane of most cars made in UK at one time.  Always thought the Triumph Spitfire was a great looking car, but same problems.  One of the reasons why I purchased a Fiat 124 Sports Spyder in '78.  For four years, a very good car and lots of fun. Then started snapping clutch cables for no discoverable reason.

Speaking of "Ferraris", or at least the man responsible for the creation of the famed Italian marque, Enzo Ferrari was once quoted as saying he believed the Series 1 Jaguar E-type was the most beautifully car ever manufactured in any quantity.

A man of true understanding.  The only thing I would add would be that it was the most beautifully designed car of any kind.  Haven't a clue as to how it handled.  My dream conformation:  rag top, British racing green, tan leather interior.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

1961 Austin-Healey 3000 Series II [bN7] in Die Screaming, Marianne (1971):

2rhky2o.png

It goes over a cliff.  Why do filmmakers always find it necessary to destroy nice cars?

Sometimes they don't.  They may substitute a similar junker for the destruction scene.

I watch the Perry Mason TV series on DVD fairly often.  There is one episode where a man has his nice, new '60's luxury car go over a cliff.  Except in that scene, it is obviously a late '40's junker.  In fact, I think I may have seen the same clip in other shows/movies.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Norman Maine's roadster from A Star is Born (1937):

ipmqzo.png

But what is it?

Yep, that's a real "doozy" of a car there alright, slayton! ;)

(...in other words, I'm fairly sure that it's a Duesenberg Model J convertible, a 1934 or '35, maybe)

It might also be an early to mid '30's AUBURN.

Sepiatone

While often using the same basic platform as the Duesenbergs, the Auburn cars featured more enclosed fenders and the rear ends came more to a point, hence the term "The Boattail Speedsters".

Perhaps this would be more appropriate for "That's a weird car," but this was included in the Deanna Durbin 1941 film Nice Girl? that was shown on TCM Sunday night.

rjK2lNO.jpg

It'd be interesting to know if this car might have been styled by famed Head of GM Styling Dept. Harley Earl(seated here in his 1951 concept car, the Buick LeSabre), as he would be quite the proponent of the postwar tail fin trend...

harley-earl.jpg

(...btw...years ago as a teenager in L.A. circa the late-'60s, I would take car design courses on Saturday mornings and afternoons and taught by a man who worked in the GM styling dept. during Mr. Earl's tenure with that company...yep, as Brando says in that one movie, "I could'a been a contender", in the car styling biz anyway, as I was pretty darn good at that and according to my teacher)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the 1964 remake of THE KILLERS...

A 1963 AC Cobra 289 (John Cassavetes and Angie Dickinson pictured)...

i160979.jpg

And, a 1959 Maserati 3500 GT Spyder (Lee Marvin and Clu Gulager pictured)...

i160983.jpg

• Like 2