Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do today movie stars lack?

What do movie stars today lack that doesn't make them equally fascinating as our classic stars in your opinion?

To me, stars today lack appeal, mystery, allure.

They lose respect by cheapening themselves parading around half naked in movies and in their real lives. Classic stars left something to the imagination, they showed you can be sexy with clothes on. Their breath taking gowns and costumes flattered their figure making them more sexy.

The biggest one is classic stars believed in their image and illusion. They knew the world looked up to them, so not to disappoint they made sure and the studios made sure they lived up to whatever image, whether it was right or wrong. Now we know many stars weren't the image we thought but that's what makes them so great, living up to that perfection not tainting themselves and letting the world know like stars today. Stars today like to say, were just like you regular people, classic stars didn't because they knew the world didn't see them as one of them, movie stars were put on pedestals. You would never catch a classic star in torn jeans, hair messy and such.

It could be because movie studios no longer employ the kind of publicity people that keep film stars' images decent, but msladysoul is right. The twits of today also lack couth and originality---not that every old film star was original. There are to be different 'images' of masculinity and femininity that stars were shaped that still applies to today's film personalities but they're a dime a dozen now and a dim shade of Bogart, Tracy, Garbo, et. al. Most of the greats of yesteryear probably wouldn't even get a job in the market at all these days.

Different system today. Today its money-money-money. It didn't used to be.

They lack decent scripts. They lack the ability to carry a movie based on their own merit. Today's it Special Effects that often carry them.

They lack a sense of morality, because today immorality sells.

They lack filmgoers that go to see their movie, because they truly want to go and see their favorite actor/actress. Remakes, sequels, and recycled ideas dominate the marketplace, audience quality has also deteriorated along with the dramatic acting.

Its the trickle effect. Acting stinks. Audience stinks. Studios stink because they prefer not to take risks. Movies stink.

Common sense.

After one viewing of his jump up and down on the couch hysteria, Tom Cruise should have said to himself "gee, I look like an idiot, perhaps I should from now on adopt a more decorous attitude".

I know, it's Tom Cruise we're talking about, but the same thought process should apply to many of today's 'famous' who either dress or act inappropriately in public, and don't have the common sense to, after one viewing or reading of their activity, strive for a higher ground.

A sense of style, on or off screen.

On screen, it's the fault of the costume designers. Is there such a thing anymore, or do they ask the cast to just bring in their clothes from home?

Off screen these people look just like any other Joe Schmo on the street, the street of a not-so-nice neighborhood I might add.

I say they need to bring back glamour and elegance. Teens and young adults model themselves after these people, and they pay a fortune to dress like them in these horrible concoctions of overly exposed skin and painted on fabric.

But what stars today have that yesterday's stars didn't is the papparazzi following them 24/7 to try to catch them in some kind of candid or compromising way. I think if I had that kind of scrutiny all the time I would be wacko too.

But to answer--I agree with the "mystery" that seems to be missing in today's stars because "we" (the general public) feel entitled to know everything about them. I don't know who's to blame for that.

I am so very glad someone else is noticing, too!

~~~

In my opinion, today's stars are losing theirlooks along with theirsanity. I also think that they just simply "Don't Give a Damn" anymore about anything--what movies boost their careers, family ties, etc. etc.

It is really, to put it bluntly, quite sad. That's why I thank TCM for still showing actors who still"Give a Damn."

I totally agree with all of the replies so far. I also believe that the stars of yester-year had some kind of special chemistry when they appeared on the screen. They seemed to care about the character they were portraying and a lot of the movies that were made in that golden age had a message and a meaning. Today, the movies are made without a single thought about them...whatever makes the most money. Granted I am not a fan of movies today, the audiences have lost what it means when someone says "let's go to the movies." It is no longer to go and see a great performance or to see the famous actor or actress (most of the time), it is to see how much violence there is...or how little someone is wearing.

My biggest disappointment is that movies today have left nothing to our imagination. Back then, our imagination was vivid, now audiences are dull. ( not everyone mind you) What can I say when I am not a fan of movies today....not much positive....there are however a very few actors and actresses that bring meaning to their work...Meryl Streep comes to mind.

Well that is all I have to say about that....

Twinktab--

I don't think it could have been put more bluntly or truthfully.

In fact, just last night a friend and I were on the road and she was asking me if I had seen "such-n-such" a film and "such-n-such another film" and I began to explain basically what you just stated now in this thread. Then I concluded my rant to her with, "Look, if it isn't in black and white, I don't watch it."

And I think I made my point to her.

I'll answer with my very first thought when I read this topic - "Everything". :-) I am not including the wonderful Al Pacino (always) or Anthony Hopkins (sometimes) when I say that, however.

I feel the number one reason is the fall of the studio system. The studios kept the stars in near perfect order when it came to the publics eye. They groomed stars from the their "discovery" stage to leads. If they did not hack it they dropped them. All their pr and photos were controlled. When all the public sees, reads, and hears is what the studios want them to see - the image of the movie star will be bigger than life and perfect. Believe me, people were the same back then as they are today - it was just managed and controlled by teams of pros. There were plenty of jerks, a$$holes, and classless idiots then but the studio dressed them up and protected them (or the the public) from the real person behind the glam.

GLAMOUR! Then, women where glamorous, alluring and yes sexy without showing off their boobs and belly-buttons. The men well dressed and groomed. Woman where ladies and men treated them as such. It was a different world in those days morally and socially, on the screen and off.

The best movies where always made from good to great novels and the movie studios had a stable of fine actors and actresses to play their respective roles. That's exactly why those movies and actors will live on forever in our memories. The art of movie making has deteriorated rapidly in the last fourty years. Most of the garbage that passes itself off for a movie today is easily forgotten as well as the actors staring in them.

I agree with everything you said bggalaxy. I believe there was immoral, wild, crazy jerks back than but the studios protected it for sure. People had morals and values back then outside but what they did inside, behind close doors was a different story. At least I can respect the fact they kept their business to themselves back than instead of letting it all hang out as people and stars do today.

I agree with everything you said bggalaxy. I believe there was immoral, wild, crazy jerks back than but the studios protected it for sure. People had morals and values back then outside but what they did inside, behind close doors was a different story. At least I can respect the fact they kept their business to themselves back than instead of letting it all hang out as people and stars do today.

I have been watching this post and agree thoroughly. The fall of the studio system has a major part. And I just have to say, when it was stated that, "If it isn't black and white, I dont watch it." or something along those lines...I felt like it had come out of my own mouth!

This is a great era and I am so glad to have found all of you to share in the experience and joy of these classic movies....

Tabitha

It is an interesting note that Blockbuster lost so much money this last quarter and they blame it on a lack luster crop of Hollywood movies. As a result the bottom fell out of their stock, but after visiting one of their stores I can see why they are loosing money, a half dozen movies filled their walls and all movies that I would not even want to see on HBO or Showtime!

I get a little amused how people always dwell on Hollywood when the best movies are made in Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and the UK. If it doesn't say BBC Films at the opening credits, and Sony Classics at the end, I know it is a bad movies.

The ability to take their part and make it theirs. There are rare instances where actors actually put some effort into their roles. It's not totally unheard of, I've seen some where they really give it some "oomph". but it's all pretty much now about the paycheck, not about the craft. It's sad really.

Alot of all goes back to the scripts that are getting produced. It's hard to have good acting when the majority of the scripts are of the ilk that are currently being produced.

Another poster was quite right when he/she said that Hollywood is concentrating on the teen age demographic and if you have ever listened to how teens make plans for a Friday or Saturday night it's a wonder they ever make it any movies much less decide which one to see.

They lack the dedication to their work, the polish of their scripts, the nitty gritty of getting into their character the research and indepth analysis of who and what the character is and where the character fits in and where is it going. They don't take time to do "different" takes on the character to see what fits best for the film. And the scripts are lacking, too. They are mostly just "fluff" anymore with little substance or intrigue. I feel Hollywood as a whole needs to reincarnate itself as a film production city and not a "let's get'em out so we get some money back as soon as we can." Sue

elinorkrieger, I tend to think just the opposite about todays big names. The way films are done today the actors spend weeks to months in researching roles. In the days of the classics they had only weeks or months to do the whole film. In several cases they were filming more than one film at a time.

Brando and company seem to be the leaders of the way actor approach roles today. I'm not saying they are better today but the top actors bleed their craft.