Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

British 60s rock movie

LawrenceA

I'm trying to find the title of a 1960s British, b&w rock movie. It featured a young couple wandering around a recording or tv studio, looking into various rooms where they would see a rock or pop music performance. That was about the extent of the plot. I don't recall anyone's name either actors nor musicians, but I recall at least one or two were well known at the time. I know it has been shown on TCM at least once in the past few years. Any help would be appreciated.

It may not be the one to which you're referring, but for me the holy grail of British pop-music b/w movies is 'Play It Cool' (1962).

I caught it once on the late, late show back around 1967 and loved it. I have a cd of the best of Helen Shapiro specifically because of this movie.

Very, very few people have seen it since the 60's.

I found it at IMDb, and Harry Whitehouse wrote in the comment section there, "In 2003, I was responsible for having the one remaining print of this film repaired and shown in a full-scale, traditional cinema for the first time in about 35 years."

I want to see this again. Absolutely.

I'd guess It's Trad, Dad (aka Ring-a-Ding Rhythm), in which the two young people are trying to get somebody from the BBC to keep their town fathers from banning "good" music. I put "good" in scare quotes because this is between early rock and roll and the Beatles, and some of the music has a definite "people liked that?" vibe to it.

Directed by Richard Lester before he did A Hard Day's Night, the movie doesn't take itself seriously at all and that's what makes it so much fun.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings