Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM in the UK

Swithin

Arrived in London last night. For those of you who are interested in what's on TCM on this side of the pond, here's much of today's offering (SKY-TV is my friend's cable company):

Timecode -- shown at least twice (I stopped counting)

New Police Story -- ditto

Black Dakotas

Savage Guns

Left-Handed Gun

And many, many, episodes of Gunsmoke!

Plus commercial throughout, correct?  It's not 24/7.  No hosts, commentary, or guest spots.  Just the same old same old tripe repeated endlessly.  But then there is Philadelphia Story on Christmas Day every year.

I haven't checked it out completely yet this visit. There are three TCM channels: TCM, TCM+1, TCM (HD). Will check further and report back. The stations seem to duplicate content. One may only be on for part of the day. 

Arrived in London last night. For those of you who are interested in what's on TCM on this side of the pond, here's much of today's offering (SKY-TV is my friend's cable company):

Black Dakotas

Savage Guns

Left-Handed Gun

Sounds AWFUL! Wonder if this is a portend of the TCM to come here across the pond?

:D:D:D

At any rate, Swithin, enjoy London. A great town, along with the surrounding country towns.

Too bad they are treated so shabbily by TCM.

Black Dakotas

Savage Guns

Left-Handed Gun

Do they have Robert and Ben equivalents?  I'm curious what it's like.

Do they have Robert and Ben equivalents?  I'm curious what it's like.

No hosts whatsoever.  And no James Mason themes as far as I've seen the past 8 years there.  Mostly serial B westerns that are repeated all week - same ones each day. Episodes of Gunsmoke, etc.   Commercial interruptions throughout all the movies.  No 24/7.  Just dreck, really.  Ski Movies is much better.

No hosts whatsoever.  And no James Mason themes as far as I've seen the past 8 years there.  Mostly serial B westerns that are repeated all week - same ones each day. Episodes of Gunsmoke, etc.   Commercial interruptions throughout all the movies.  No 24/7.  Just dreck, really.  Ski Movies is much better.

Sounds pretty bleak.   It makes one all the more grateful for our beloved TCM.

Sounds pretty bleak.   It makes one all the more grateful for our beloved TCM.

Pretty slim pickings yesterday as well. However, the BBC (particularly BBC 2) shows some classic films, and there are many other film channels on the SKY cable network. Btw, I saw Sian Phillips in the audience at the theatre the other night -- lovely woman - great actress. Ex-wife of the late Peter O'Toole. She's the opposite of her Livia character from "I Claudius!"

Pretty slim pickings yesterday as well. However, the BBC (particularly BBC 2) shows some classic films, and there are many other film channels on the SKY cable network. Btw, I saw Sian Phillips in the audience at the theatre the other night -- lovely woman - great actress. Ex-wife of the late Peter O'Toole. She's the opposite of her Livia character from "I Claudius!"

In London.  At the theatre.  My envy overflows.

I was on a Mediterranean cruise in September and our ship had TCM Europe. I don't know how many of those there are but the one I watched had commercials in Polish. It seemed that the schedule in prime time would be two movies by one star like Steve McQueen and John Wayne and would play twice in a 24 hour period. The daytime was usually a programmer like The Saint and then maybe a couple of movies with another star like Bette Davis. They did show more 60s & 70s--Scarecrow, which is debuting here this month was on during a Gene Hackman evening. The other movie was Superman 4. The newest movie they showed was The Bucket List. They were also having Action movies on Sunday evenings. The commercials weren't shown that often, about once an hour but would last five minutes. It's much better than some of the other TCM feeds I've seen. TCM South America is awful and when I was in Australia I saw TCM out of Singapore for a couple of days on my ship, but I don't remember too much about it. I didn't watch much tv on that cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

"Blech" to early James Mason films?  Really?  "Blech" to Odd Man Out, The Seventh Veil, The Gainsborough Melodramas, Hatter's Castle, The Night Has Eyes, The Mill on the Floss, They Were Sisters, et.al.  "Blech"?  Really?

Three of my favorite early James Mason films: The Man in Grey; Fanny by Gaslight (aka Man of Evil); and The Wicked Lady. (Oh, I just realized your name comes from Fanny by Gaslight!)

• Like 1

My wife and I were recently on a tour of Britain and Wales and not one hotel we stayed in had TCM on the "telly".  What they all did carry though was what I guess is called "The Fish Channel". All it showed 24-hours a day  was a shot of a fish tank and the fish swimming back and forth. No joke.

My wife and I were recently on a tour of Britain and Wales and not one hotel we stayed in had TCM on the "telly".  What they all did carry though was what I guess is called "The Fish Channel". All it showed 24-hours a day  was a shot of a fish tank and the fish swimming back and forth. No joke.

Dude! Are you SURE they weren't showing a Marx Brothers flick???

1289862001_850215_0000000001_sumario_nor

"Blech" to early James Mason films?  Really?  "Blech" to Odd Man Out, The Seventh Veil, The Gainsborough Melodramas, Hatter's Castle, The Night Has Eyes, The Mill on the Floss, They Were Sisters, et.al.  "Blech"?  Really?

...and...and...one of MY personal James Mason favorites(<-note no superfluous 'u' in this word here)...Carol Reed's THE MAN BETWEEN.

Whenever you see that Gainsborough Lady turn her head and smile at you, you know your in for a treat and a great film.

• Like 1

The Man Between.  Oh yes, a gem.  I'm really tired of the reviewers who kept on whining about how this movie wasn't The Third Man.  It isn't.  But, it is a wonderful film noir on its own merits.  The final scene, as one individual expressed it, "a knife to the heart", is one of the very best endings of any film I've ever seen.  Mason at his best, tormented, haunted, world weary, and sensual (always).

in nat'l lampoon's european vacation, clark and ellen griswold could at least watch a cheese channel. :lol:

2wdbvw6.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings