Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Starring Paul Newman, of course.  It has been included in a salute to Lauren Bacall, even though her time in the movie was less than ten minutes or so, and tonight was included in an homage to the SOTM Janet Leigh, who also has a bit part in the movie.  Is HARPER going to be trotted out for a nod to Shelley Winters in the future?  How about Harold Gould?  He was in the movie for a WHOLE MINUTE!  Or Strother Martin?  

TCM is getting sloppy and lame.  

Flame on!  

Since it's one of those all-star type 'private eye' movies everyone important in the cast has to get their a few minutes of screen time. 

► I think 'HARPER' will show up again when TCM does a "Robert Webber Film Retrospective".   ;)   Lotsa good flicks to pick from, too.    

I'd be happy if TCM showed the George Peppard private-eye movie P.J. (1968) just once! 

I know TCM has also aired the '69 PI movie "Marlowe" with James Garner in the recent past, so why not 'P.J.'?

• Like 1

If I recall correctly (and given my age, that's not a given), the screenplay for "Harper" is based on one of a series of mystery novels featuring a PI named Lew Archer. Some negotiating could not free up that name, so Paul Newman suggested the name Harper instead. This was after "The Hustler" and "Hud", but before "Hombre" which made some fans think that Newman was fond of the letter H.

I also would love to see the theatrical release of "PJ" instead of the sliced and diced bilge that was used for network television. It's an entirely different movie.

• Like 1

Harper is historically significant in that it breathed life into the moribund private eye genre. Its success would lead to the TV series Mannix, which brought the format back to television, resulting in the PI golden age of Rockford and Harry-O in the '70s.

• Like 1

Harper is historically significant in that it breathed life into the moribund private eye genre. Its success would lead to the TV series Mannix, which brought the format back to television, resulting in the PI golden age of Rockford and Harry-O in the '70s.

...and "Hart to Hart", which starred Wagner, who was in HARPER.

Anyone remember CHANDLER (1971) or PEEPER (1975)? 

I've seen PEEPER several times and enjoyed it well enough.  I guess it was a box office bomb, but I actually wish the movie was longer!  It only runs 87 minutes and a few plot points seem to be missing that were likely filmed but cut out. 

I've seen CHANDLER one time.  I found it to be average.  I wish it was better, but it was 'watchable' for my viewing eyeballs.