Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do carriers carry TCM?

ElCid

For my own edification, why do carriers (cable, satellite, etc.) determine whether or not to carry TCM and in which tiers to present it?

Since TCM doesn't do ratings, do the carriers?  Seems that if they are paying full-cost for TCM (I assume), they would want to know how many people watch it and lengths of time.  Maybe their computers tell them this?

I assume TCM doesn't pay carriers?

For my own edification, why do carriers (cable, satellite, etc.) determine whether or not to carry TCM and in which tiers to present it?

Since TCM doesn't do ratings, do the carriers?  Seems that if they are paying full-cost for TCM (I assume), they would want to know how many people watch it and lengths of time.  Maybe their computers tell them this?

As I said in another post related to the topic,  I believe TCM is part of a Turner network package that includes TCM, CNN and TBS.   This was stated in the LA Times article related to the disbute with DISH.    So 'carriers' don't make any specific determination with regards to TCM but if they wish to purchase the Turner package.

My concern was if TCM was split off that questions like 'how many people watch it and lenghts of time' would than come to light related to how one would price the service.

• Like 1

What a very good question. Perhaps someone in the know will answer.

With Dish you have to order the America's Top 200 tier for $69.99 plus tax which 76.99 for TCM. If you step down to 120+ for 59.99 you don't have TCM. If TCM stays gone on Dish many would just drop down to Smart Pack for 32.99 and get BlockBuster @ Home for the $5.00 special they run all the time to get Epix, Sony, MGM and Retro for movies.

With Dish you have to order the America's Top 200 tier for $69.99 plus tax which 76.99 for TCM. If you step down to 120+ for 59.99 you don't have TCM. If TCM stays gone on Dish many would just drop down to Smart Pack for 32.99 and get BlockBuster @ Home for the $5.00 special they run all the time to get Epix, Sony, MGM and Retro for movies.

With the 120 package does one get the other Turner stations like CNN and TBS?

When I first signed up for TCM, back in ’94 or ’95, I had to take a small package from a local cable company, but it cost only about $4-$5 extra, and my whole cable bill was about $19 a month. I think AMC was not an extra charge and came with basic cable.

Then I moved and about 14 years ago I signed up for Directv and I had to pay about $10 extra for TCM in a package that also included Fox Movie Channel, Sundance, Independent Movie Channel, and a couple of other odd channels that showed some movies. The total monthly bill was about $24.

A few years ago Directv removed the Fox Movie Channel from my package, then later required me to upgrade my tuner, then gave me Fox again with the new tuner and an increase in fee. I’m now paying $79 a month. Somewhere along the way I lost Sundance and the Independent Movie Channel.

I think different cable and satellite companies have different packages, and some people have old packages they signed up for years ago while new subscribers get new packages. So I think it is not a simple matter of just a few standard packages.

With the 120 package does one get the other Turner stations like CNN and TBS?

I believe you do.  I know that TBS and TNT are in a separate bundle than the other turner stations like CNN, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, TCM and Tru TV which is why they're off the air right now due to the contract dispute and TBS and TNT are not.  When we had Comcast/Xfinity, the first tier cable package had all the Turner Channels except for TCM.  You had to sign up for the second tier package to get TCM (and whatever other channels were also included).

As long as you don't drop below the 120 package you get HD (If you have HD for life like I do), CNN, TBS and TNT. If you go lower than that you just get basic SD with no CNN or MSNBC just Fox News.

A side note...

I called dish and told them to cancel my service that I was getting ready to call Comcast Xfinity to take me back. They gave me Blockbuster for $5.00 a month for 6 months and gave me a 12 month special for 49.00 for the 200 package, 12 months with no contract saying you can cancel at anytime if you stay. I agreed to the deal saving $30.00 a month.

As long as you don't drop below the 120 package you get HD (If you have HD for life like I do), CNN, TBS and TNT. If you go lower than that you just get basic SD with no CNN or MSNBC just Fox News.

A side note...

I called dish and told them to cancel my service that I was getting ready to call Comcast Xfinity to take me back. They gave me Blockbuster for $5.00 a month for 6 months and gave me a 12 month special for 49.00 for the 200 package, 12 months with no contract saying you can cancel at anytime if you stay. I agreed to the deal saving $30.00 a month.

Now, I have two friends with Xfinity who pretty much were able to "pick and choose" their offerings doing the same thing.  They insist the "rules" of the lineup aren't hard and fast if you work for a better deal. It will take me more than that to being me back.-- like a 40% less for cable.  

Now, I have two friends with Xfinity who pretty much were able to "pick and choose" their offerings doing the same thing.  They insist the "rules" of the lineup aren't hard and fast if you work for a better deal. It will take me more than that to being me back.-- like a 40% less for cable.  

Here in Richmond Va. Comcast is hard to deal with. You have to go downtown and take a number and wait several hours in their lobby for them to call you to just speak to a customer service person. So I really didn't want to get mixed up with them again. So in other words the only real choice is FIOS, Dish or DirectTV.

A side note...

Wow, I called and they offered me nothing except the statement ....Please contact TCM and let them know you want your channels back. :wacko:

A side note...

Wow, I called and they offered me nothing except the statement ....Please contact TCM and let them know you want your channels back. :wacko:

Calling TCM isn't going to help unless their parent company is willing to accept less money from DISH.  This type of dispute often last many months.

A side note...

I got fed up with TimeWarner continually increasing my fees.  It was pushing $160/month for phone, internet, and TV.  I made arrangements with DirectTV and ATT for the trio and when I called TimeWarner to cancel, they negotiated a package with me for $100/month.  A couple of months later, they tried raising my bill again.  I called and said if they tried that crap ever again, I'd cancel, because I could always get the same service for less elsewhere.  They rolled back the price.

The lesson is, the threat to cancel wakes people up.  The companies want to keep that mother's milk revenue stream going.  And they'll suck you for all they can. Don't let them get away with it.  But you can't just bluff.  Be prepared to go somewhere else, even if it costs the same.   If you can find the service for less, get it, or used it as leverage to bludgeon the company you're with, if you don't want to go to the trouble of switching.

Wow, I called and they offered me nothing except the statement ....Please contact TCM and let them know you want your channels back.

When you called, did you tell them to cancel your service or did you just register your complaint about the channels being removed?  They'll almost always offer you something to keep you from cancelling, but they're less likely to do that if you're just complaining (at least at this early stage of the game).

I haven't done that, because I'm not prepared to cancel if they call my bluff.  I could go out and get DirecTV equipment instead and subscribe to their service, but then I'd be without the Pac-12 network because those two are still locked in a dispute, and I'd be without who knows what in future during the inevitable stalemates at contract renegotiation time.  I just ride these things out.  And it usually only really bothers me when I'm missing sports, but I'm really missing TCM.  Not having it during October, when they air a bunch of classic horror films, sucked.  I haven't had the heart to check this month's schedule and see what I'm missing.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings