Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

76 years ago today

Richard Kimble

Welles' "War of the Worlds" broadcast is amazing to listen to.  I can see how people might believe it was real--especially those that didn't catch the show at the beginning (I believe it was the latecomers to the original broadcast who were the ones who thought the "invasion" was real).  Welles was a genius by framing the story as a news bulletin and by adding the orchestral interludes between the "news" about the Martian invasion.  I think what also adds to the experience is the narration by Welles.  His voice was just made for radio and/or narrating things.  I've got this radio show on a (cassette!) collection of Orson Welles' radio programs and I've listened to the show before, in a dark quiet room, with a cocktail in hand and listened to the show.  It is fantastic. 

It's a shame we don't have cool things like this to listen to on the radio anymore.  It'd be way better than all the talk radio shows or all the political-oriented programs.

Welles' "War of the Worlds" broadcast is amazing to listen to.  I can see how people might believe it was real--especially those that didn't catch the show at the beginning (I believe it was the latecomers to the original broadcast who were the ones who thought the "invasion" was real).  Welles was a genius by framing the story as a news bulletin and by adding the orchestral interludes between the "news" about the Martian invasion.  I think what also adds to the experience is the narration by Welles.  His voice was just made for radio and/or narrating things.  I've got this radio show on a (cassette!) collection of Orson Welles' radio programs and I've listened to the show before, in a dark quiet room, with a cocktail in hand and listened to the show.  It is fantastic. 

It's a shame we don't have cool things like this to listen to on the radio anymore.  It'd be way better than all the talk radio shows or all the political-oriented programs.

I was going to post something about old time radio shows, then I remembered I already had. As it happens, in a thread you started.

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/50599-lux-radio-theater-or-is-it-theatre/?hl=mohr&do=findComment&comment=1028254

For people to lazy to click, here's what I wrote:

Archive.org has thousands of old time radio shows for free download: Mercury Theater with Orson Welles, Jack Benny, and many others.

My favorites include the Adventures of Philip Marlowe with Gerald Mohr, the science fiction anthologies Dimension X and X Minus 1, the mystery anthology Suspense and its sister show Escape.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings