Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COMCAST SHOULD START THEIR OWN MOVIE CHANNEL

cody1949

Why not ?  They have a vast library of films from Universal and pre-48 Paramount releases. 

Dream on. If they did start a movie channel, it wouldn't be with those films. They'd want major recent films that would garner huge ratings and and lots of big spending sponsors. That's what it's all about.... MONEY.

Dream on. If they did start a movie channel, it wouldn't be with those films. They'd want major recent films that would garner huge ratings and and lots of big spending sponsors. That's what it's all about.... MONEY.

Well of course it is about money since these companies are businesses and making a profit is their primary goal.   They are not non-profit public service companies like PBS.      What I find funny is that so many people act like Captain Renault in Casablanca and find business for profit shocking.   

What exactly are they doing with that library?

Really nothing. Well I should say , put on the market about 15 mod DVD titles per year; mostly from their package of Universal horror films from the 30's and 40's and  Jon Hall / Maria Montez costumers from the 40's. Where is ? :

CORVETTE  K-225

RIDE THE PINK HORSE

THE WEB

NORTH WEST MOUNTED

THE SUSPECT

BACK STREET  [1932]

IVY

FOLLOW THE BOYS [1944]

SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS

KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS

ETC.                        

Really nothing. Well I should say , put on the market about 15 mod DVD titles per year; mostly from their package of Universal horror films from the 30's and 40's and  Jon Hall / Maria Montez costumers from the 40's. Where is ? :

CORVETTE  K-225

RIDE THE PINK HORSE

THE WEB

NORTH WEST MOUNTED

THE SUSPECT

BACK STREET  [1932]

IVY

FOLLOW THE BOYS [1944]

SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS

KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS

ETC.                        

Comcast HQ is right across the street from my gym. I'll walk in and tell them to get that library cranking.

They'd probably rather stick with IN DEMAND, which nets them more money than a movie channel would.  To make any money off of THAT, they'd need to run commercials, which would repell most possible customers, or charge an exorbitant monthly fee.  Comcast isn't going to do aNYTHING that affects negatively the bottom line! 

Sepiatone

They'd probably rather stick with IN DEMAND, which nets them more money than a movie channel would.  To make any money off of THAT, they'd need to run commercials, which would repell most possible customers, or charge an exorbitant monthly fee.  Comcast isn't going to do aNYTHING that affects negatively the bottom line! 

Sepiatone

What company does anything negative that affects their bottom line (on purpose)?    I ask because your statement impies Comcast is somehow different than other for profit companies in the USA.   

Well of course it is about money since these companies are businesses and making a profit is their primary goal.   They are not non-profit public service companies like PBS.      What I find funny is that so many people act like Captain Renault in Casablanca and find business for profit shocking.   

I have no problem with them making money, otherwise TCM wouldn't exist, but I draw the line with commercials within the movies. The day AMC started doing what they called "commercial intermissions" during the films, was the last day I watched them and I'm not kidding, I've boycotted AMC ever since.

For that matter, I simply won't watch any movie, on any channel, with commercials in it. There's nothing I want to see bad enough to put of with five minutes of commercials every eight or nine minutes. I don't mind TV shows so much because they're made to be shown in "acts" with breaks in between , but  movies weren't.

It is funny how many people, especially some on these boards, expect TCM to be run as a public service. Even PBS has to make money somehow.

I have no problem with them making money, otherwise TCM wouldn't exist, but I draw the line with commercials within the movies. The day AMC started doing what they called "commercial intermissions" during the films, was the last day I watched them and I'm not kidding, I've boycotted AMC ever since.

For that matter, I simply won't watch any movie, on any channel, with commercials in it. There's nothing I want to see bad enough to put of with five minutes of commercials every eight or nine minutes. I don't mind TV shows so much because they're made to be shown in "acts" with breaks in between , but  movies weren't.

It is funny how many people, especially some on these boards, expect TCM to be run as a public service. Even PBS has to make money somehow.

Like so many others you provide an example of 'five minutes of commercials every eight or nine minutes'.   To me that is a strawman (since of course everyone hates that).

What about 5 minutes of commericials between movies and ONE 5 minute break during the movie for movies that run, say,  more than 70 minutes.   Note that most movies have natural breaks.  i.e. a change in the scene, actors, etc...   something like an act in a play were a break wouldn't have much of an impact to the flow of the movie.   

Of course we would all like NO commericials of anykind.   But that being said one does have to look at the alternatives.   If the alternative was paying my cable company $10 a month just for TCM,   the type of commerical breaks I mention might be 'worth it'.

Anyhow I don't think TCM will go either route.  Instead I think they will move to a streamming only service and die as a standard type of station.

And when PBS starts their commercial, yes commercial for Ralph Lifshitz hawking his brilliant design*, I turn away to another channel and come back when he's done doing what the oldest profession did.

RO with his airbrushed face does the exact same with his DVDs and his cruises and anything else he can hawk. His hawking between movies are commercials, let's call a spade a spade. Leave the euphemisms to the apologists.

Yes, I left AMC when they fired Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney and brought in that young twit who has gone on to obscurity. Ben won't because he has old money. Yes, I boycott Mad Men.

You want to excuse TCM, that's fine. I don't care. I have other avenues now. But TCM IS NOT WHAT IT ONCE WAS.

Period.

*Ralph Lauren.

And when PBS starts their commercial, yes commercial for Ralph Lifshitz hawking his brilliant design*, I turn away to another channel and come back when he's done doing what the oldest profession did.

RO with his airbrushed face does the exact same with his DVDs and his cruises and anything else he can hawk. His hawking between movies are commercials, let's call a spade a spade. Leave the euphemisms to the apologists.

Yes, I left AMC when they fired Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney and brought in that young twit who has gone on to obscurity. Ben won't because he has old money. Yes, I boycott Mad Men.

You want to excuse TCM, that's fine. I don't care. I have other avenues now. But TCM IS NOT WHAT IT ONCE WAS.

Period.

*Ralph Lauren.

Yeah, well...niether am I!

But I DO watch THE RIFLEMAN reruns on AMC Saturday mornings if TCM is showing something that doesn't interest me, IF I can wrest the remote from my wife who insists on looking in on "The Property Brothers".  But, that's about it.

Sepiatone

Yeah, well...niether am I!

But I DO watch THE RIFLEMAN reruns on AMC Saturday mornings if TCM is showing something that doesn't interest me, IF I can wrest the remote from my wife who insists on looking in on "The Property Brothers".  But, that's about it.

Sepiatone

Now there's a way to spend Saturday mornings. Fighting with your wife over the remote.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings