Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
acraven

February Schedule Is Up

I hope no one is losing sleep over anything posted on these message boards. 

Sometimes the apologists lose sleep because they stay up all night burning the midnight oil trying to find data they can put into new arguments about how TCM has not changed. 

• Like 1

But even now, after having recorded every first rate movie that looked the slightest bit interesting to me for the past 5+ years, I'm still finding at least a dozen or so movies every month that I'd never had before and which prove to be pleasant surprises. 

Yes-- we call them the rarities. These are usually the non-Turner Library films that people get excited about when the schedules are announced. As the budget cuts continue, we can expect there may be less of these rarities in future months-- with more repeats of the usual suspects from the Turner Library. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself is TCM worth the six to ten new titles you can pick up per month by making your own DVD recording...or is it better to put the money spent on cable towards purchasing rarities in Blu-Ray that often have extras and probably will last longer...?

The problem is that TCM is hardly the only reason I have cable.  The infinite number of sports channels, which let me choose among every baseball game from opening day to the end of the World Series, are just as much of a factor.

As for buying commercial DVDs, that's a non-starter when I factor in the price comparison.  I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but even if I did, and even if every commercial Blu-Ray DVD were only $9.99, one Blu-Ray disk would be the equivalent of about 20 to 30 movies I record off TCM, including the jewel cases.   I do buy commercial DVDs on occasion, but only those I have good reason to believe will never run on TCM.  And even there I've often bought a DVD only to have TCM present it six months later, such as happened with Mean Streets and Cry Danger.

Extras?  To be honest, I can easily live without them, given all that extra cost. I'd much rather use that money on books that supplement my knowledge of movies.  IMO that gives me far greater value than the sort of extras on those commercial DVDs, but that's for each of us to decide for ourselves.

Yes-- we call them the rarities. These are usually the non-Turner Library films that people get excited about when the schedules are announced. As the budget cuts continue, we can expect there may be less of these rarities in future months-- with more repeats of the usual suspects from the Turner Library. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself is TCM worth the six to ten new titles you can pick up per month by making your own DVD recording...or is it better to put the money spent on cable towards purchasing rarities in Blu-Ray that often have extras and probably will last longer...?

The problem is that TCM is hardly the only reason I have cable.  The infinite number of sports channels, which let me choose among every baseball game from opening day to the end of the World Series, are just as much of a factor.

As for buying commercial DVDs, that's a non-starter when I factor in the price comparison.  I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but even if I did, and even if every commercial Blu-Ray DVD were only $9.99, one Blu-Ray disk would be the equivalent of about 20 to 30 movies I record off TCM, including the jewel cases.   I do buy commercial DVDs on occasion, but only those I have good reason to believe will never run on TCM.  And even there I've often bought a DVD only to have TCM present it six months later, such as happened with Mean Streets and Cry Danger.

Extras?  To be honest, I can easily live without them, given all that extra cost. I'd much rather use that money on books that supplement my knowledge of movies.  IMO that gives me far greater value than the sort of extras on those commercial DVDs, but that's for each of us to decide for ourselves.

I do think there are a lot of people who because of financial reasons, or personal reasons (like disgust with the greed of the cable TV industry) are leaving it all behind. So for them, it doesn't matter if they originally had cable to get other channels besides TCM-- the point is they said enough is enough-- they are now putting the money into products and services that have more long-term value for them.

As for extras, anyone who watches TCM gets extras in terms of the wraparounds and guest host commentary. But these extras may not be comparable to what is found on a Blu-Ray disc.

And if we're looking at a restored print by a company like Criterion, chances are they are going to outshine whatever print TCM is broadcasting. That's the reality.

Just to clarify, the Oxford English Dictionary defines classic (as an adjective) as "Judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind" (i.e. 'a classic film' or 'a classic car' etc.). An alternate definition is "Very typical of its kind" (i.e. 'Hamlet is a classic example of tragedy').

As a noun, the OED defines classic as "A work of art of recognized and established value" or as "A thing which is memorable and a very good example of its kind."

I concede that TCM is showing an abundance of recent films during next year's 31 Days of Oscar, and further, that this may be indicative of a larger trend towards a focus on more modern films. However, I would argue that based on the criteria of the OED's definition of the word classic, almost all of the films on TCM's 31 Days of Oscar schedule would qualify as classics.

I would also dispute the argument that TCM is going after younger demographics by showing films of a more recent vintage. I don't seriously believe that a young person would decide to watch CHICAGO simply because it was made in 2002. Presumably, if you are going to watch CHICAGO, you would do so because you like movie musicals. Likewise, I doubt that THE ARTIST (2011) or THE KING'S SPEECH (2010) or THE QUEEN (2006) are going to bring a lot of new viewers to TCM based only on the year in which they were made.

It's completely insulting to regular TCM viewers who like TCM's broad programming to be repeatedly called "apologists".

An abusive accusation made over and over and over for the sole endeavour of trolling.

• Like 8

Showing the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy as a whole will be a first for TCM, but the network has aired the final film in the trilogy, THE RETURN OF THE KING, at least twice before.

I do think there are a lot of people who because of financial reasons, or personal reasons (like disgust with the greed of the cable TV industry) are leaving it all behind. So for them, it doesn't matter if they originally had cable to get other channels besides TCM-- the point is they said enough is enough-- they are now putting the money into products and services that have more long-term value for them.

I agree.  It's simply a matter of priorities.  I prioritize TCM and the sports channels over whatever added value I might get from a commercial DVD, but that's just me, and I understand that not everyone else feels that way.

Look, I'd get cable for the sports channels even if TCM weren't around.  But for the extra dollar or two that TCM adds to my cable bill, I've saved more than enough money on recordings since 2009  to pay for my entire Verizon Triple Play package, plus a cell phone.  And I've got over 3000 feature movies since then in the bargain---what's not to like?

As for extras, anyone who watches TCM gets extras in terms of the wraparounds and guest host commentary. But these extras may not be comparable to what is found on a Blu-Ray disc.

I also agree, but again, it's a matter of competing cost-benefit interpretations.  Other than a few of the early sound films and an occasional later movie that should've been subtitled rather than dubbed, I've never had any problem with the TCM prints.  But then I'm also perfectly satisfied to listen to my original 45s, scratches and all, so it's not as if I'm a perfectionist in these matters. As long as I can understand the dialogue and read any subtitles without straining, that's all I really require.

And if we're looking at a restored print by a company like Criterion, chances are they are going to outshine whatever print TCM is broadcasting. That's the reality.

Totally agree there as well,  but at last count I'd recorded roughly 70 movies from the Criterion Collection that have played on TCM, including the complete works of Kurosawa back in 2010.  OTOH I did buy Berlin Alexanderplatz, and The Human Condition from the Criterion Collection when they had one of the regular half price sales, since those two are hardly likely to show up anytime soon on TCM.  A lot of it simply involves being patient and seizing all your opportunities to record when a rarity finally does show up, even if it's in the wee hours of the night.

Showing the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy as a whole will be a first for TCM, but the network has aired the final film in the trilogy, THE RETURN OF THE KING, at least twice before.

Obviously, this costs mucho bucks. I think they are doing this to fight fire with fire where Dish is concerned. Pulling out all the stops and throwing money around to air these films in the hopes that people who want to see them will raise a ruckus with Dish. That's my theory on this. 

The sad reality is that (many, most, almost all-- again pick your modifier) loyal viewers want to see classics from the golden age of Hollywood. So TCM's execs are off the mark on this strategy.

I agree.  It's simply a matter of priorities.  I prioritize TCM and the sports channels over whatever added value I might get from a commercial DVD, but that's just me, and I understand that not everyone else feels that way.

Look, I'd get cable for the sports channels even if TCM weren't around.  But for the extra dollar or two that TCM adds to my cable bill, I've saved more than enough money on recordings since 2009  to pay for my entire Verizon Triple Play package, plus a cell phone.  And I've got over 3000 feature movies since then in the bargain---what's not to like?

I also agree, but again, it's a matter of competing cost-benefit interpretations.  Other than a few of the early sound films and an occasional later movie that should've been subtitled rather than dubbed, I've never had any problem with the TCM prints.  But then I'm also perfectly satisfied to listen to my original 45s, scratches and all, so it's not as if I'm a perfectionist in these matters. As long as I can understand the dialogue and read any subtitles without straining, that's all I really require.

Totally agree there as well,  but at last count I'd recorded roughly 70 movies from the Criterion Collection that have played on TCM, including the complete works of Kurosawa back in 2010.  OTOH I did buy Berlin Alexanderplatz, and The Human Condition from the Criterion Collection when they had one of the regular half price sales, since those two are hardly likely to show up anytime soon on TCM.  A lot of it simply involves being patient and seizing all your opportunities to record when a rarity finally does show up, even if it's in the wee hours of the night.

The Criterion prints are not being aired much anymore. My guess is that you recorded most of those from the years 2010 to 2012/early 2013. The Kurosawa tribute and the Rossellini tribute were certainly rarities but the budget was much more generous in those days. Consider yourself lucky to get what you did when you did.

If they ever show these movies I hope it is the extended version of the movies, when you watch these you realize how much better movies can be sometimes with more, not less.

......................................................Film Theatrical edition length.............. Extended edition length

The Fellowship of the Ring............ 178 mins 208 mins........................... (228 with additional credits)

The Two Towers ............................179 mins 223 mins ...........................(235 with additional credits)

The Return of the King ...................200 mins 251 mins ............................(263 with additional credits)

If they ever show these movies I hope it is the extended version of the movies, when you watch these you realize how much better movies can be sometimes with more, not less.

......................................................Film Theatrical edition length.............. Extended edition length

The Fellowship of the Ring............ 178 mins 208 mins........................... (228 with additional credits)

The Two Towers ............................179 mins 223 mins ...........................(235 with additional credits)

The Return of the King ...................200 mins 251 mins ............................(263 with additional credits)

Although 'Return' won an Oscar for Best Picture, I think that 'Two Towers' is the best movie of the three.

Although 'Return' won an Oscar for Best Picture, I think that 'Two Towers' is the best movie of the three.

Yes the movies get better past the first one. The longer versions are much better IMO too, when you see them you will realize they over-edited them the first time. All 3 were nominated for film editing too, the last one won.

Now if only those lazy eagles had carried Gandalf with the ring from the beginning to drop it in the lava at Mount Doom there wouldn't have been a need for all that fighting, lol.

Yes the movies get better past the first one. The longer versions are much better IMO too, when you see them you will realize they over-edited them the first time. All 3 were nominated for film editing too, the last one won.

Now if only those lazy eagles had carried Gandalf with the ring from the beginning to drop it in the lava at Mount Doom there wouldn't have been a need for all that fighting, lol.

Orson Welles would agree with you as it relates to film editing.      

Obviously, this costs mucho bucks. I think they are doing this to fight fire with fire where Dish is concerned. Pulling out all the stops and throwing money around to air [the LORD OF THE RINGS movies] in the hopes that people who want to see them will raise a ruckus with Dish. That's my theory on this. 

You can't be serious about this "theory."

People who want to see THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies aren't scanning the TCM schedule looking for them.

People have a great many sources to see these films so they would not be demanding that Dish bring back TCM so they can see THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies when they air on the channel. 

It's completely insulting to regular TCM viewers who like TCM's broad programming to be repeatedly called "apologists".

What's the difference between the "apologists" and the "loyal viewers" anyway?

What's the difference between the "apologists" and the "loyal viewers" anyway?

Well an apologist is someone not willing to admit that TCM has changed with regards to their programming (e.g. showing a lot more post 1968 movies then they did in the past),  while a loyal viewer is someone that understands TCM has changed but continues to watch them anyway!

No, that makes no sense!   Hey,  there is no diference.   :D

The Criterion prints are not being aired much anymore. My guess is that you recorded most of those from the years 2010 to 2012/early 2013. The Kurosawa tribute and the Rossellini tribute were certainly rarities but the budget was much more generous in those days. Consider yourself lucky to get what you did when you did.

You're right about the dates, though an equally long tribute to Hitchcock was aired just over a year ago. 

But yes, of course I was lucky to get the equivalent of a 25-movie Kurosawa set for the price of about 15 or 20 blank DVDs and jewel cases, but that only proves what I've known and said all along:  Always record everything you like or think you might like, because you never know if and when you'll ever get another chance.  Hope for the best, but assume the worst.

• Like 1

While I checked out the February 2015 schedule hoping for a few pre-1950 titles that have not been shown before (or very rarely shown), I fully knew what to expect, based on past experience.

There is a reason the Oscars month schedule is available on the 1st of the month as opposed to the 10th or later.....they had it finalized some time ago. This was also the case last year and probably a few years prior as well.

I'm having a hard time getting upset with the scheduler at this time, because October included many RKO early 1930's pictures that are broadcast very rarely.

I guess my point is that, in my eyes, there is nothing different about the upcoming Oscars month schedule than several years before, and that I have every confidence the schedule will return to "normal" on March 4th.

While I checked out the February 2015 schedule hoping for a few pre-1950 titles that have not been shown before (or very rarely shown), I fully knew what to expect, based on past experience.

There is a reason the Oscars month schedule is available on the 1st of the month as opposed to the 10th or later.....they had it finalized some time ago. This was also the case last year and probably a few years prior as well.

I'm having a hard time getting upset with the scheduler at this time, because October included many RKO early 1930's pictures that are broadcast very rarely.

I guess my point is that, in my eyes, there is nothing different about the upcoming Oscars month schedule than several years before, and that I have every confidence the schedule will return to "normal" on March 4th.

Well the schedule is unique (I believe), because as each day roles by the release year for the movies gets more and more recent all the way up to the 2010.    I think this is kind of neat but those that want TCM to only show Production code movies (pre-1969),   will not have much to see during the last few weeks of the month.

While my interest is mainly in pre-1969 movies TCM is going to show some very well made post 1969 movies (many I have never seen but only heard about) so I'll be checking those out. 

Well an apologist is someone not willing to admit that TCM has changed with regards to their programming (e.g. showing a lot more post 1968 movies then they did in the past),  while a loyal viewer is someone that understands TCM has changed but continues to watch them anyway!

No, that makes no sense!   Hey,  there is no diference.   :D

Apologists are people who are going to apologize for any mistake TCM makes no matter what, and they are going to excuse any shortcoming by pointing out irrelevant information in a desperate and unrealistic attempt to downplay any valid or constructive criticism. In my view, the apologists are only loyal to themselves and their perfectly fragile 'me-me-me & TCM' relationship. Loyal viewers are people who stick with the channel though it's a pain to stick with the channel when it makes questionable decisions and when standing up for the truth is going to bring a tidal wave of temper tantrums from the apologists.

This is from page 17 in the TopBilled Handbook for TCM Viewing and Message Board Posting. Check Amazon or your local library to see if a copy is available.

• Like 1

Apologists are people who are going to apologize for any mistake TCM makes no matter what, and they are going to excuse any shortcoming by pointing out irrelevant information in a desperate and unrealistic attempt to downplay any valid or constructive criticism. In my view, the apologists are only loyal to themselves and their perfectly fragile 'me-me-me & TCM' relationship. Loyal viewers are people who stick with the channel though it's a pain to stick with the channel when it makes questionable decisions and when standing up for the truth is going to bring a tidal wave of temper tantrums from the apologists.

This is from page 17 in the TopBilled Handbook for TCM Viewing and Message Board Posting. Check Amazon or your local library to see if a copy is available.

HAH!!!!!!!!!! Love it. Can I get it used on Amazon for 99 cents?

Good one, TB. Will go over the heads of some, but those in the know will laugh...........out..............loud. Judas Priest, I hate LOL. :lol:

Quite true, it is as big a hunk of junk as it has been for untold years now.

The good part is that Foreign Correspondent and North By Northwest are in rotation, and those never get boring. NEVER.

Poor TCM. They used to be SO beautiful. Cary Grant beautiful. Warren William beautiful. :wub:

Quite true, it is as big a hunk of junk as it has been for untold years now.

The good part is that Foreign Correspondent and North By Northwest are in rotation, and those never get boring. NEVER.

Poor TCM. They used to be SO beautiful. Cary Grant beautiful. Warren William beautiful. :wub:

Come on primosprimos,  aren't you being a little over the top?    Cary Grant was just SOTM.   TCM showed over 40 of his films.  

TCM also had pre-code Fridays and showed a lot of films with your man Warren  (a guy I really like as well).

Generally I think we like movies from the same decades (but I do like color movies as well),  and I don't wish for TCM to show 'too many' post production code movies,  but to me you're implying the sky is falling when I'm saying it is just cloudly out.  ;)

"...only loyal to themselves and their perfectly fragile 'me-me-me & TCM' relationship."

-could also define 'anti-apologists' as well :rolleyes:

• Like 2

It's kinda interesting that there are just two silent films on the prime time schedule- Wings, the first film on day one; and The Artist, the first film on day 31.

I rather wish they didn't feel like they always had to suspend Silent Sunday and Imports for this month. They are plenty of Oscar winners in each category. Have they ever shown Janet Gaynor's trio of films together, the ones that won her the first Best Actress award?

Heck, I just wish there were more foreign films in general. Recently I was looking over the list of past Best Foreign Film nominees, and I was really surprised at how many I'd never heard of before. Too bad this month doesn't get us more of those... all I see is The Bicycle Thief and The Red Balloon, which aren't anything new.

Other than that I'm indifferent, more or less. Old movies or new movies, they're all Oscar movies. -_-

• Like 1