Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Females in Rock

Can anyone think of any '50s rock and roll or doo-w o p records by female artists or groups? The closest I can come is that one of the members of the Platters was a woman. Maybe something by Brenda Lee or Connie Francis. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"?

"Soldier Boy"..."dedicated to The One I Love",   "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?"  By the SHIRELLES

"the Leader Of The Pack" by the Shangri-La's

"Be My Baby"  by The Ronnettes (Ronnie Spector, then Phil's Mrs. was lead vocal)

"Do Wah Diddy"  The Exciters  doing the 1963 original

"My Boyfriend's back" by The Angels

"Then He Kissed Me"  by The Crystals.

Yeah, they're mostly early '60's, But it's a start.

Sepiatone

"Soldier Boy"..."dedicated to The One I Love",   "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?"  By the SHIRELLES

"the Leader Of The Pack" by the Shangri-La's

"Be My Baby"  by The Ronnettes (Ronnie Spector, then Phil's Mrs. was lead vocal)

"Do Wah Diddy"  The Exciters  doing the 1963 original

"My Boyfriend's back" by The Angels

"Then He Kissed Me"  by The Crystals.

Yeah, they're mostly early '60's, But it's a start.

Sepiatone

I specifically raised the question because I know there were a lot of female rockers in the early '60s, but virtually none in the '50s.

Interesting question.  And in looking some stuff up about it, the closest I could come were a few black women R&B artists from that decade.  After all, most African-American R&B from that decade was also considered by many to be one and the same with rock'n'roll.

The names I could gleen were:

Laverne Baker( remember "Jim Dandy To The Rescue"?)

Faye Adams

Ruth Brown.

Very slim pickin's and sorry I couldn't come up with tunes from the others besides Baker, 

AND there are probably  more---I just couldn't find them!

Sepiatone

Interesting question.  And in looking some stuff up about it, the closest I could come were a few black women R&B artists from that decade.  After all, most African-American R&B from that decade was also considered by many to be one and the same with rock'n'roll.

The names I could gleen were:

Laverne Baker( remember "Jim Dandy To The Rescue"?)

Faye Adams

Ruth Brown.

Very slim pickin's and sorry I couldn't come up with tunes from the others besides Baker, 

AND there are probably  more---I just couldn't find them!

Sepiatone

I know that there were black r& b female artists in the fifties, but virtually no whites.... I guess it's Brenda Lee, with "Sweet Nothins'" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree", both recorded in the '50s, and Connie Francis' "Lipstick on your Collar", recorded in '59.

I know that there were black r& b female artists in the fifties, but virtually no whites..

Is this a game where the goal is to guess what you don't know?   ;)

Carole King was writing a lot of the hits from the late 50's onward. She just didn't record herself until later.

Jackie De Shannon was an early rocker who also wrote some of her own stuff.

But, the initial wave of Rock in its 50's infancy was relegated to males, just like most other pursuits in professional life back then. The 60's was really the beginning for the better gender.

Carole King was writing a lot of the hits from the late 50's onward. She just didn't record herself until later.

But, the initial wave of Rock in its 50's infancy was relegated to males, just like most other pursuits in professional life back then. The 60's was really the beginning for the better gender.

I assume that one reason Rock was relegated to males was because of its preceived sexuality and that the sexual revolution helped open the doors for female artist.

..and I guess that Phil Spector deserved partial credit for that. Speaking of Spector, there is a great '50s doo-w o p rocker tiled "Puddin N Tain", by the Alley Cats, which is an early Spector production.

Don't know how relevant you'll all think this is, but today is BONNIE RAITT'S 65th birthday!

Yesterday was Joni Mitchell's 71st.  Although, not considered a "rocker" by many.  But I thought worth mention.

Sepiatone

Don't know how relevant you'll all think this is, but today is BONNIE RAITT'S 65th birthday!

Yesterday was Joni Mitchell's 71st.  Although, not considered a "rocker" by many.  But I thought worth mention.

Sepiatone

If Joni made it to my ipod, she's a rocker, and the mere fact that she wrote the song "Woodstock" gets her in the door.

If Joni made it to my ipod, she's a rocker, and the mere fact that she wrote the song "Woodstock" gets her in the door.

A good tune, for sure.  But, VERY minor compared to the remainder of her great body of work.

Sepiatone

Turning the clock forward, there were many new  wave bands either entirely female (Go-Gos, Bangles, Waitresses, etc.) or fronted by females (Pretenders, Siouxsie and the Banshees , Motels etc  ), but in hard rock, the only predominantly female band I can think of is Heart.

How about Lita Ford, Pat Benetar, and Joan Jett?  I've forgotten DGF's original question--was it all female bands?  There was Girls Together Outrageously (GTOs), the all-girl band Frank Zappa formed, though I think they weren't around terribly long.

If Joni is a rocker, I'm a shoehorn collector. She is a very talented folkie,

but a rocker? Nope. I'll go with Belly, Hole, and the Breeders any old

day, though I suppose they would be classified as alternative, but they

still can rock.

Joni was a folk rocker.   

I know she is sometimes called a folk rocker, but I've always

thought of her more as a folkie or a singer-songwriter than a

rocker. But whatever label one uses, she did produce some

wonderful music.

Well,  I was pulling your leg with that folk rocker tag.  Joni did write some very fine songs that can be played in many different styles.   Even jazz musicians will play her tunes from time to time.    I enjoy her music as produced by herself as well as by others.

Joni preferred to think of herself as a "singer/songwriter/musician".   She disliked thinking of her music in terms of genre.  She's done "folkie" type tunes, also some sort of rock-ish tunes, jazzy ones, and many that can't be easily categorized. 

Besides, any supposed "folk singer" who can recruit JACO PASTORIUS  and TOM SCOTT to record and go onstage with her, has MUCH more than mere FOLK SINGER chops!

Sepiatone

If Joni is a rocker, I'm a shoehorn collector. She is a very talented folkie,

but a rocker? Nope. I'll go with Belly, Hole, and the Breeders any old

day, though I suppose they would be classified as alternative, but they

still can rock.

I'd love to see your shoehorn collection. Joni "hung" with the L.A. rock crowd in Laurel Canyon. You could call her a folk rocker, but not a folkie.

How about Lita Ford, Pat Benetar, and Joan Jett?  I've forgotten DGF's original question--was it all female bands?  There was Girls Together Outrageously (GTOs), the all-girl band Frank Zappa formed, though I think they weren't around terribly long.

I would classify both Benatar and Jett as alternative rockers, not straight rockers.

Joni preferred to think of herself as a "singer/songwriter/musician".   She disliked thinking of her music in terms of genre.  She's done "folkie" type tunes, also some sort of rock-ish tunes, jazzy ones, and many that can't be easily categorized. 

Besides, any supposed "folk singer" who can recruit JACO PASTORIUS  and TOM SCOTT to record and go onstage with her, has MUCH more than mere FOLK SINGER chops!

Sepiatone

Yea,  that was one very hot band Joni had!    Too bad Jaco left this earth so early.   

I would classify both Benatar and Jett as alternative rockers, not straight rockers.

What????

Sometimes I wonder about you.

• Like 1

Okayyyy. But I have heard other people refer to her as a folk rocker.

I get the folk part, but not the rock part. I should add that I'm thinking

of her late 1960s, early 1970s period. After that she fell off my radar

screen.

The folk part is the singing and the acoustic guitars.   The rock part is the drums.   So if no drums the music is folk.  If there are drums it is folk rock.     See how simple that is.    Ok, I'm kidding here as well but there is truth there as well.

Yea,  her early years were pure folk.    While I like some of that I like her later work more since I found it to be more innovative.

What????

Sometimes I wonder about you.

I tend to put a very wide net over who I consider alternative rockers. Anyone who was not metal or arena rock. Wonder no more. I am certain that I have heard Joan Jett on Sirius First Wave (classic alternative)