Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Females in Rock

I am certain that I have heard Joan Jett on Sirius First Wave (classic alternative)

Yeah, right. Singing what exactly?

Calling the artists whose hits include 'Heartbreaker', 'Hell is for Children', 'Treat Me Right', Hit Me with Your Best Shot' and 'I Love Rock and Roll' (Jett's only hit) "alternative" is a ridiculous assessment. None of those has any plinky plink in them. They're all straight-ahead guitar rock.

Calling the artists whose hits include 'Heartbreaker', 'Hell is for Children', 'Treat Me Right', Hit Me with Your Best Shot' and 'I Love Rock and Roll' (Jett's only hit) "alternative" is a ridiculous assessment. None of those has any plinky plink in them. They're all straight-ahead guitar rock.

So Frazier has gone down, and won't be getting up  any time soon?

I seem to remember, or at least my wonky memory does, a song, I thought by Joan Jett that far predates "I Love Rock'nRoll"

And the only lyrics I can remember come from the chorus:

NO YOU DON'T--Have to treat me so bloody cruel---"

I'm thinking this came out somewhere in the late '70's.  I think I heard a live version on the radio.  I think that because I recall hearing it while riding with a friend and his first wife, but BEFORE they were married in '79.

Sepiatone

I don't know what you mean by "plinky plink" . Some classic alternative uses synthesizers, but other songs of the genre uses guitars..

I seem to remember, or at least my wonky memory does, a song, I thought by Joan Jett that far predates "I Love Rock'nRoll"

And the only lyrics I can remember come from the chorus:

NO YOU DON'T--Have to treat me so bloody cruel---"

I'm thinking this came out somewhere in the late '70's.  I think I heard a live version on the radio.  I think that because I recall hearing it while riding with a friend and his first wife, but BEFORE they were married in '79.

Sepiatone

Maybe it was a song she had with The Runaways?

I don't know what you mean by "plinky plink" . Some classic alternative uses synthesizers, but other songs of the genre uses guitars..

If you want to lump Benatar and Jett in with the Bangles and Cranberries, so be it.

In my head, they represent different sub-genres - but what do I know. All I've got going for me are my ears and my own sense of discernment. And you've got yours.

Good enough - my interest in this disagreement seems to have dissipated.

Ike and Tina are probably officially R&B, but they sure had crossover appeal. I know you're looking for 1950's female rockers, but she joined up with Ike in the late 50's, though she didn't become Tina until 1960 or so. She pretty much hit the ground running. I didn't know much about Billboard in those days or how and why they classified music on their charts, but I knew what I liked and I liked that voice. Another act that featured females was Bo Diddley. He used women in his band and the first memory I have of him is that he was trading off with his female lead guitarist. (I think they called her "Lady Bo".) She was great on guitar and had great moves too. They had a fantastic call-and-response thing going on. There was another woman who fronted a band and both sang and played guitar, but I'm drawing a blank. I think there was a clip on one of those PBS shows a few years back (the Sullivan show?), so maybe somebody can come up with it. Again, I know I'm drawing on R&B, but when I was a kid I didn't care what it was called if it was amazing and I still don't.

If you want to lump Benatar and Jett in with the Bangles and Cranberries, so be it.

In my head, they represent different sub-genres - but what do I know. All I've got going for me are my ears and my own sense of discernment. And you've got yours.

Good enough - my interest in this disagreement seems to have dissipated.

Does that mean that I win, because I'm willing to continue beating a dead horse?........I actually DO have a real interest in being able to classify a song as classic rock or classic alternative.

Does that mean that I win, because I'm willing to continue beating a dead horse?........I actually DO have a real interest in being able to classify a song as classic rock or classic alternative.

Aw, HELL DGF,  Most of us here can't even agree what classifies a MOVIE as "classic".  And now you want to take on MUSIC?

Sepiatone

Aw, HELL DGF,  Most of us here can't even agree what classifies a MOVIE as "classic".  And now you want to take on MUSIC?

Sepiatone

Yeah, should classic rock stations now be playing the '90s?

As a side note, the singer in The Cranberries was arrested this weeks after an alleged air rage incident en route from New York to Ireland.

That's the best you can do, these f****** peanuts?

• Like 1

The lot of a middle-aged rock star is not always a happy one. :(

Ain't that the truth.  Even traveling in business class.  Or maybe especially in business class. 

Ain't that the truth.  Even traveling in business class.  Or maybe especially in business class. 

Not being able to smoke on-flight can drive some over the edge.

Hey, maybe she was entirely justified in her rage - maybe someone was "lingering" in the toilet!

Did you ever have to REALLY go, and the public toilet is occupied for a long time?

Yeah, should classic rock stations now be playing the '90s?

Hey!  The "oldies" station in my area is.

But the trouble with "classic" rock stations, particularily the one around HERE( don't know what others in different cities are like), was that they purported to try to "bring back" the vibe of the "underground" rock stations of the late '60's.  but THOSE stations never concerned themselves with conventional playlists and/or "designated" singles.  They'd get ahold of an LP and play ANYthing off of it.  SOMEtimes, even the ENTIRE LP at one sitting!   the "Classic Rock" station mainly stuck to "hit" songs and singles---the ones the AM stations back then used to play.  At least the AM stations that managed to survive.   EXAMPLES:

For several years, the only GUESS WHO song WCSX( the "classic rock" station in the Detroit area) would play was "No Sugar Tonight"---Not a bad tune, mind you, but FAR from their BEST, NOR not the ONLY tune they released.  And for a long time the only SPIRIT song they'd play was "Nature's Way".  ALSO not their best, NOR the only one worth playing.

Sepiatone

Hey!  The "oldies" station in my area is.

But the trouble with "classic" rock stations, particularily the one around HERE( don't know what others in different cities are like), was that they purported to try to "bring back" the vibe of the "underground" rock stations of the late '60's.  but THOSE stations never concerned themselves with conventional playlists and/or "designated" singles.  They'd get ahold of an LP and play ANYthing off of it.  SOMEtimes, even the ENTIRE LP at one sitting!   the "Classic Rock" station mainly stuck to "hit" songs and singles---the ones the AM stations back then used to play.  At least the AM stations that managed to survive.   EXAMPLES:

For several years, the only GUESS WHO song WCSX( the "classic rock" station in the Detroit area) would play was "No Sugar Tonight"---Not a bad tune, mind you, but FAR from their BEST, NOR not the ONLY tune they released.  And for a long time the only SPIRIT song they'd play was "Nature's Way".  ALSO not their best, NOR the only one worth playing.

Sepiatone

The Guess Who's best was "American Woman".

The Guess Who's best was "American Woman".

Y'see?  All a matter of opinion----

Personally, I prefer "Albert Flasher", "Undun" and "Saskatoon".

Sepiatone

Y'see?  All a matter of opinion----

Personally, I prefer "Albert Flasher", "Undun" and "Saskatoon".

Sepiatone

To cap off this thread, here are my top 10 rock songs (not in order) in which a woman is singing the lead:

The Adultress---Pretenders

Never Say Never---Romeo Void

Christine----Siouxsie and the Banshees

Crazy on You---Heart

Edge of Seventeen----Stevie Nicks

Sex(I'm a Man)----Berlin

Message of Love---Pretenders

Love is a Battlefield---Pat Benatar

Mystery Achievement--Pretenders

Time the Avenger---Pretenders

I'm typing this while not even sure I can come UP with ten!

Paper Tiger---Sue Thompson

Barracuda--Heart

Try--Janis Joplin

Angel Baby--Rosie and the Originals

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow--Shirelles

Sally Go 'Round the Roses---Jaynettes

Baby It's You---Smith

Proud Mary---Tina Turner

Sepiatone