Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In which movie did Judy Garland wear this dress?

I once (about 15 years ago)had the opportunity to model an original Judy Garland dress designed by Helen Rose in a show in Palm Springs. It was a black sequined bodice with long sleeves and a high neck, with a skirt made of chiffon squares hung by the corners giving a jagged appearance to the bottom of the skirt. My mother used the original as a pattern and made a sleeveless version for me. I would love to know which movie the original was worn in if anybody knows! Thanks!!

Dear ellejenkins3,

My goodness, you modeled the dress? What an opportunity!

If my guess is correct, you are referring to a gown that never made it onto the big screen. Designed by Helen Rose (as you stated), it was to have been worn by Judy Garland in Royal Wedding. Before filming began Judy was replaced by Jane Powell and the dress was put into storage.

In her book Just Make Them Beautiful, Helen Rose described it as "... a very sophisticated costume... and Judy was delighted when she saw it. The bodice was of black jersey with a turtle neck and long sleeves, completely covered with black paillettes. The skirt was made of many black silk chiffon handkerchiefs and her beautiful legs, which were unusually long and shapely for so small a person, were encased in black silk opera hose and were evident with every movement."

Hope this helps!

- Susan

That is most definately the dress!! Thank you, thank you!! Underneath those chiffon scarves, it was actually a bodysuit with snaps (thank goodness!) It was quite difficult to get on, and getting it off was even worse!! When Helen Rose died, she left many of the costumes she created to a woman in the Palm Springs area (for her privacy, I won't mention her name) who held fashion shows at several of the big hotels in the desert. I modeled for her at one of these shows as none of her regular models fit into this dress. I'm sure the dress was much longer on Judy Garland, but because of the uneven length, it looked fine even though I'm 5'10".