Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Acker Bilk, 1929-2014

Fedya

BBC Obituary for jazz clarinetist Acker Bilk

Bilk will be most remembered for his signature tune "Stranger on the Shore", which hit #1 on both sides of the Atlantic as part of the popularity of trad jazz in the early 1960s. As such, it shouldn't be a surprise that he showed up in the 1962 film It's Trad, Dad, although he doesn't play "Stranger on the Shore" in that one:

[/url]

Bilk once collabaerated with ANOTHER recording artist with one of my favorite names-----

BENT FABRIC!  And yes, according to WIKI "BENT" IS his real name!

Name-wise, it's hard to beat names like "Acker Bilk" and "Bent Fabric"!  Maybe throw in "Ace Cannon" for good measure.

Years ago in high school woodshop, the Woodshop 1 course I was in had an instructor named Turner( no relation)

One day, while trying to demonstrate how the vises in the shop worked(  Just give a couple turns and PULL.  To close 'em, just PUSH).  Well when he pushed it closed, he got his TIE caught up in it.  After getting it released, there was a crease in the lower inch and a half of the tie which caused it to jut forward sort of "early Dilbert".  My buddy in the class cracked that..."That tie must have been made by, or in honor of, that guy who recorded Alley Cat.  You know....BENT FABRIC!" :lol:

That guy wore that tie all sememster!

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings