Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM hardly ever airs a lot of the great classic films, why?

PattiTexas

Some have aired in the past on TCM but we never see them anymore while others are shown over and over. I notice these a lot on the Suggest A Movie Page.

A few examples I see requested a lot are

An Angel In My Pocket

The Truth About Spring

All the old Ma and Pa Kettle movies

The Tarzan movies with Johnny Weissmuller ( they show a couple of these but not all)

The Five Little Pepper's films.

I'd Rather Be Rich

Fluffy

Blondie and Dagwood films

Dynasty (1977)

There are so many more that I've seen people request for many many years that never get shown. I realize they have to get the rights to some of the films but why were they shown years ago but not anymore? I also wonder why so many that have never been released to DVD or VHS are sitting on a shelf somewhere and we'll never have the chance to see them even once.

Does anyone at TCM really read the Request on Suggest A Movie?

Some have aired in the past on TCM but we never see them anymore while others are shown over and over. I notice these a lot on the Suggest A Movie Page.

An Angel In My Pocket

The Truth About Spring

All the old Ma and Pa Kettle movies

The Tarzan movies with Johnny Weissmuller ( they show a couple of these but not all)

The Five Little Pepper's films.

I'd Rather Be Rich

Fluffy

Blondie and Dagwood films

Dynasty (1977)

There are so many more that I've seen people request for many many years that never get shown. I realize they have to get the rights to some of the films but why were they shown years ago but not anymore? I also wonder why so many that have never been released to DVD or VHS are sitting on a shelf somewhere and we'll never have the chance to see them even once.

Does anyone at TCM really read the Request on Suggest A Movie?

You're wasting your time with the Suggest a Movie nonsense. They play what is in the Turner Library, and then they play titles outside that library that they are interested in showing. The only times they have played what the fans wanted was when they threw a few crumbs to fans for Joel McCrea's Star of the Month tribute (which took two years and a massive campaign from viewers to finally accomplish) and then again when they had fan programmers on air for the 15th and 20th anniversaries. There is no democracy when it comes to most programming choices, you need to get that out of your head right now. LOL

The apologists are due here any minute, and as soon as they get off the bus with the banner on the side of it that says 'TCM is Good' they will put their (predictable) spin on it in countless posts.

You're wasting your time with the Suggest a Movie nonsense. They play what is in the Turner Library, and then they play titles outside that library that they are interested in showing. The only times they have played what the fans wanted was when they threw a few crumbs to fans for Joel McCrea's Star of the Month tribute (which took two years and a massive campaign from viewers to finally accomplish) and then again when they had fan programmers on air for the 15th and 20th anniversaries. There is no democracy when it comes to most programming choices, you need to get that out of your head right now. LOL

The apologists are due here any minute, and as soon as they get off the bus with the banner on the side of it that says 'TCM is Good' they will put their (predictable) spin on it in countless posts.

I didn't think anyone actually looked at the Request, thanks.

I do think they have other films that they overlook because as I said they played some in the past but not anymore.

I didn't think anyone actually looked at the Request, thanks.

I do think they have other films that they overlook because as I said they played some in the past but not anymore.

Maybe back in the day they looked at the requests, but I doubt they do it anymore. They have their own agenda they are pushing with a lot of the guests and themes-- so what the average fan wants is not going to be as much of a priority. If they listened to fans, they would not have Drew Barrymore hosting countless seasons of the Essentials. For every two people who enjoy her on that series, there are 222 who don't. 

As for the films you mentioned that played in the past, the license agreements may have changed and the fees increased (if they're outside the Turner Library). As someone else said in another thread, you have to record what's important to you and have a copy on hand in the event it's never shown again, or not shown for five years.

In the final analysis, you cannot count on TCM's programmers-- you have to use what they are programming to your own advantage and augment it with classics from other sources. And there are a lot of other sources now..TCM is not the only game in town. Those people who just got off that 'TCM is Good' bus are learning that.

images10.jpg

I take exception to your mention of the Tarzan movies.  I think it was last year, during a couple of months, I'm not sure wether it was summer or fall, they showed just about every Tarzan flick from Weismuller to Mahoney.  Two every Saturday afternoon.

It's often been debated in here as to just what IS a "classic" film.  And some of the movies YOU might think fill this bill might no longer be available to ANYone, let alone TCM.  And getting the "rights" to show certain movies HAS been a bane to many of the regular viewers.  I'm sure there are many movies EVERYone would like to see more often, and each list would be just as varied as the people who comprise them. 

Sepiatone

I take exception to your mention of the Tarzan movies.  I think it was last year, during a couple of months, I'm not sure wether it was summer or fall, they showed just about every Tarzan flick from Weismuller to Mahoney.  Two every Saturday afternoon.

It's often been debated in here as to just what IS a "classic" film.  And some of the movies YOU might think fill this bill might no longer be available to ANYone, let alone TCM.  And getting the "rights" to show certain movies HAS been a bane to many of the regular viewers.  I'm sure there are many movies EVERYone would like to see more often, and each list would be just as varied as the people who comprise them. 

Sepiatone

It's been a few years since they've shown the Tarzan and Five Little Pepper films. Usually with Tarzan, they show the first one with Weissmuller and they repeat it, so it airs three or four times a year-- but most of the other ones do not air.

To say that TCM cannot get the rights to some films is true, but this excuse is not valid when talking about all films. They work hard to get the rights to films outside the Turner Library they want to get the rights to, let's be honest about that.

An Angel In My Pocket

Who on Earth is requesting this? An Andy Griffith completist? The curator of the Jerry Van Dyke archives?

I'd Rather Be Rich

Fluffy

Like AIMP these are '60s Universals that have fallen into obscurity and seem to have been unaired for decades, along with:

The Bofors Gun -- great Nicol Williamson performance

Work Is A Four Letter Word

The Adding Machine

What's So Bad About Feeling Good? -- this actually has something of a cult

I'll Never Forget What's'is Name -- the best Richard Lester movie Richard Lester never made

Banning -- the greatest golf movie in history, if that means anything

Don't Just Stand There -- has this been show anywhere in the past 25+ years? It seems to have utterly vanished -- not just from TV but also the public consciousness.

The Harper-imitation P.J. with Peppard also has something of a following.

Has TCM ever shown Tobruk?  It's a superior WWII actioner with a script by, of all people, tough guy character actor Leo Gordon. Leo was tough offscreen as well as on -- he served 5 years in San Quentin for armed robbery. When he returned there to shoot Riot In Cell Block 11, he was carefully watched by the guards, who remembered him as a troublemaker.

Some of these films have been uploaded to YouTube (and then quickly disappeared)

I, uncharacteristically, have nothing to add! :D:D:D

these are '60s Universals that have fallen into obscurity and seem to have been unaired for decades

Maybe TCM could try to broadcast them. Is spending a bus load of cash on the Lord of the Rings trilogy a better thing to do? Not necessarily.

You forgot about the [sarcasm on] amazing, unbelievable, best classically classic film ever made, it will shock and awe you in its brilliance [sarcasm off]:

FAME!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

An Angel In My Pocket

Who on Earth is requesting this? An Andy Griffith completist? The curator of the Jerry Van Dyke archives?

I actually see it requested quite often. I also think it's a cute family film. I have it taped and my grandchildren love watching it.   I guess to each their own. It would be a rather boring world if we all thought alike and all liked the exact same things. ;)

I actually see it requested quite often. I also think it's a cute family film. I have it taped and my grandchildren love watching it.   I guess to each their own. It would be a rather boring world if we all thought alike and all liked the exact same things. ;)

No offense. It just strikes me as a padded AGS. And in that case I'd rather watch the original.

I guess to each their own. It would be a rather boring world if we all thought alike and all liked the exact same things.

What a nice sentiment, PattiTexas. Imagine if everyone here let everyone else here think and like and write about just what they wanted and didn't post remarks in the vein of the one you got.

But hey, then this wouldn't be the one, the only, TCM message board. ;)

I guess to each their own. It would be a rather boring world if we all thought alike and all liked the exact same things.

What a nice sentiment, PattiTexas. Imagine if everyone here let everyone else here think and like and write about just what they wanted and didn't post remarks in the vein of the one you got.

But hey, then this wouldn't be the one, the only, TCM message board. ;)

Thank you. As I've gotten older I see things in a much different light, we learn what's really important. We also learn to pick and choose our battles and things said on a message board don't even come close to the top 10. :D

My ONLY battle is my health. Health and family, that is what's important.

In a perfect world nobody would argue over trivial things but sadly....it's far from a perfect world.

My favorite expression is, 'Don't sweat the small stuff and remember, it's all small stuff'. My grandchildren even use that now. :P

Have a blessed day! :)

Thank you. As I've gotten older I see things in a much different light, we learn what's really important. We also learn to pick and choose our battles and things said on a message board don't even come close to the top 10. :D

My ONLY battle is my health. Health and family, that is what's important.

In a perfect world nobody would argue over trivial things but sadly....it's far from a perfect world.

My favorite expression is, 'Don't sweat the small stuff and remember, it's all small stuff'. My grandchildren even use that now. :P

Have a blessed day! :)

Health and family, that is what's important.

Amen, Patti, it's nice to have you here.

Re:  AN ANGEL IN MY POCKET (1969).  I recall back in the 1980s when TBS (WTBS) used to air it sometimes on Sunday mornings at 10:35 A.M.  Way back when when CNN and MTV were still considered new cable channels. 

Re:  Post #13.  Universal is a stingy studio.  They have a fair amount of movies locked away they don't appear to ever want to dig out.  Like 'P.J.'.

I have seen 'BANNING' aired on The Golf Channel in the past 2 or 3 years.  TGC would sometimes show 'golf-themed' movies (what few of them there are); I know they aired 'CADDYSHACK' and 'TIN CUP', too. 

As for 'DON'T JUST STAND THERE' and 'WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD?' being locked away for ages maybe Universal just wants to hide Mary Tyler Moore movies!  The Golf Channel leased the Robert Wagner movie "Banning", but his movie with MTM appears to have been buried in a salt mine.   

Here's a few other Universal movies I've not seen aired anywhere for many moons:

DARK INTRUDER (1965)  

JIGSAW (1968)  a remake of the 1965 Gregory Peck movie "Mirage" with more 'Mod' trappings

EYE OF THE CAT (1969)

THREE INTO TWO WON'T GO (1969)

RED SKY AT MORNING (1970)

TWO PEOPLE (1973)

For those who like the movie I'LL NEVER FORGET WHAT'S 'IS NAME (1967) and are acquisitive sorts of folks it was released on homevideo by Anchor Bay in 2000.  The insert artwork in the little clamshell case mentions these things: 

○ Widescreen Presentation (1.85:1)

○ Digitally Mastered for Optimum Picture and Sound

○ Theatrical Trailer

Anchor Bay also released the 1967 British movie SMASHING TIME at the same time as "What's 'Is Name".  I bought it, too.  I think both movies were released on DVD, but I'm not 100% sure.  (I didn't have a DVD player when I bought those tapes so I never checked).   

Anchor Bay released a decent number of Universal Pictures, but not enough!  A/B was the first company to release 'THE CAR' (1977) on video here in the U.S.  I bought it when it first came out in 1997.  Couldn't wait to watch the killer black sedan mow down the unwary!  :D      

OH, PATTI----Didn't you notice?  A lot of people in here are the sort who feel the world is a boring place BECAUSE not everybody else likes the same things THEY do....OR thinks the same way.  AND, in MY experience, you can find a LOT of people with that attitude on FACEBOOK! :D

Sepiatone

OH, PATTI----Didn't you notice?  A lot of people in here are the sort who feel the world is a boring place BECAUSE not everybody else likes the same things THEY do....OR thinks the same way.  AND, in MY experience, you can find a LOT of people with that attitude on FACEBOOK! :D

Sepiatone

So wait, I can gripe here about things I don't like with TCM, or I can't gripe here about things I don't like with TCM?

So wait, I can gripe here about things I don't like with TCM, or I can't gripe here about things I don't like with TCM?

Either way - who's stopping you?

It'd be a first for you to not be able to state your disaffected view of anything and everything, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Re:  AN ANGEL IN MY POCKET (1969).  I recall back in the 1980s when TBS (WTBS) used to air it sometimes on Sunday mornings at 10:35 A.M.  Way back when when CNN and MTV were still considered new cable channels. 

Re:  Post #13.  Universal is a stingy studio.  They have a fair amount of movies locked away they don't appear to ever want to dig out.  Like 'P.J.'.

I have seen 'BANNING' aired on The Golf Channel in the past 2 or 3 years.  TGC would sometimes show 'golf-themed' movies (what few of them there are); I know they aired 'CADDYSHACK' and 'TIN CUP', too. 

As for 'DON'T JUST STAND THERE' and 'WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD?' being locked away for ages maybe Universal just wants to hide Mary Tyler Moore movies!  The Golf Channel leased the Robert Wagner movie "Banning", but his movie with MTM appears to have been buried in a salt mine.   

Here's a few other Universal movies I've not seen aired anywhere for many moons:

DARK INTRUDER (1965)  

JIGSAW (1968)  a remake of the 1965 Gregory Peck movie "Mirage" with more 'Mod' trappings

EYE OF THE CAT (1969)

THREE INTO TWO WON'T GO (1969)

RED SKY AT MORNING (1970)

TWO PEOPLE (1973)

For those who like the movie I'LL NEVER FORGET WHAT'S 'IS NAME (1967) and are acquisitive sorts of folks it was released on homevideo by Anchor Bay in 2000.  The insert artwork in the little clamshell case mentions these things: 

○ Widescreen Presentation (1.85:1)

○ Digitally Mastered for Optimum Picture and Sound

○ Theatrical Trailer

Anchor Bay also released the 1967 British movie SMASHING TIME at the same time as "What's 'Is Name".  I bought it, too.  I think both movies were released on DVD, but I'm not 100% sure.  (I didn't have a DVD player when I bought those tapes so I never checked).   

Anchor Bay released a decent number of Universal Pictures, but not enough!  A/B was the first company to release 'THE CAR' (1977) on video here in the U.S.  I bought it when it first came out in 1997.  Couldn't wait to watch the killer black sedan mow down the unwary!  :D      

Good post Mr. Gorman. I like how you come along and provide us with some detailed information that shows how good this message board can be!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Patti,

I think you raise a very worthwhile point about TCM showing some of the old series movies.

I would definitely enjoy a chance to see at least some of the BLONDIE films and that marvelous middle-aged couple of MA and PA KETTLE should also be worth a look.

I also enjoy seeing the old Tarzan movies no matter how often they're revived. The first two films in the Johnny Weissmuller series, TARZAN THE APE MAN and TARZAN AND HIS MATE are generally and rightfully acknowledged as the best.

Are there  any others in the Tarzan series that you especially enjoy? And any other Tarzan flicks besides the ones with Weissmuller in the title role?

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings