Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mary Pickford's Poor Little Rich Girl. Charming. Delightful.

slaytonf

Not your usual children's movie.  It has a lot of hard edges and satire in it.  But, like all really good family movies, it can be enjoyed on many levels, so everybody can get something from it.  One can easily see why Mary Pickford was the biggest thing in movies in her time.  Her puckish expressions, impish smile, and flawless timing make the screen vibrate.  She has none of the stereotypical mannerisms people usually associate with silent screen acting.  

Barely remembered anymore, it's hard, rather impossible, to overestimate the influence Miss Pickford had on movies, both in her own time and even to today.  Even a quick look through her catalog reveals titles that have been made over and again, like tonight's movie, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Pollyanna, and others.  She set the pattern for the likes of Shirley Temple, and later Disney.  Of course, she had the advantage of position, being around at the the start of movies.  But I suspect that if she came later, she'd be seen as the latest and best, rather than the originator..

Yes, this was a 100% charming movie I had never seen before.  Good stuff!!  I'm watching "It" now which is the following movie which I had seen before with Bow.  There were some absolutely wonderful women-in-the-movies on the Silver Screen in the silent era.  A lot of charisma.  Pickford was certainly a one in a million both onscreen and off.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings