Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mary Pickford in THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL

HoldenIsHere

Wow, the silent movies that aired on TCM last night were so entertaining.

I was especially captivated by THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL.

Mary Pickford was around 25 when she made this movie, but she was totally convincing as an 11-year-old. (It probably helped that we couldn't hear her voice.)  

I noticed that THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL had a rating of TVPG while IT (with Clara Bow) was rated TVG.

One question: Were the servants who gave "the poor little rich girl" the  sleeping medicine brought to justice? 

tumblr_mzx7loovIH1tqzqyro1_500.gif

Some years back TCM aired another Mary Pickford, Daddy-Long-Legs from 1919. I'd never seen any Mary Pickford titles before and, as a fan of silents, I felt duty-bound to at least sample it. I was dreading it, preparing to get choked with saccharine! 

I was wonderfully, delightfully, wrong. I got completely entranced by Miss Pickford. I've since seen most of her available features and have read several biographies of her.

What a wonderful actress! "America's Sweetheart" remains one of my all-time favorites.

Some years back TCM aired another Mary Pickford, Daddy-Long-Legs from 1919. I'd never seen any Mary Pickford titles before and, as a fan of silents, I felt duty-bound to at least sample it. I was dreading it, preparing to get choked with saccharine! 

I was wonderfully, delightfully, wrong. I got completely entranced by Miss Pickford. I've since seen most of her available features and have read several biographies of her.

What a wonderful actress! "America's Sweetheart" remains one of my all-time favorites.

I had the same expectations about THE POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL and was so pleasantly surprised at how wonderful the movie was. 

This was a totally enchanting movie.  When I checked on it, and found that the producers thought is was terrible (until it kicked butt at the box office) all I could think was;  nothing has changed!  I totally bought her as a child...but more than that, she just exuded energy and spirit that can't be faked.  In some ways, silents distilled acting talent down to its very basics.  For instance, someone with a great voice (Ronald Coleman, comes to mind) could rely on that skill to pull off a performance, while, in a silent, he could not....

I saw the Pickford Poor Little Rich Girl a couple of years ago and found it actually a little depressing.  Unlike the later Temple version, the main character is really a neglected and one might even say, emotionally abused little girl!  To think the child has to practically die before anyone pays attention to her

Mary was only 5 feet tall, and they used very tall adult actors in these films, thus making her look like a little kid.

That what I thought when watching the movie.  Glad to have it confirmed.  Early NBA and WNBA type adult actors/actresses and maybe platforms used too.  Pickford probably felt like a munchkin in making this and similar movies.  Good movie.

That what I thought when watching the movie.  Glad to have it confirmed.  Early NBA and WNBA type adult actors/actresses and maybe platforms used too.  Pickford probably felt like a munchkin in making this and similar movies.  Good movie.

Here she is around more normal-sized people.

im_fai_01.jpg

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings