Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bulletin! TCM to self-destruct and turn into AMC in 2003!

slaytonf

I don't know why the people in the first post are whining.  Spaceballs is awesome.

Is it too wild of a concept to just watch/do something else if TCM isn't airing something you're interested in? Have I been doing it wrong this whole time by finding an alternative way to entertain myself if TCM hasn't scheduled something to my exact tastes and mood?

• Like 3

Take a look at this:

TCM the Next AMC?

And this!:

What is going on with TCM !!!!! I'm SOO aggravated!!!

And this!!:

Is TCM going downhill?

Oh, wait.  It's 2014.

And you can guarantee that we'll be seeing threads like this for the next 20 years as well.  Thank God that TCM ignores these perpetual complainers, or the movie selections would be permanently frozen in the Roosevelt and Eisenhower administrations.

• Like 2

Is it too wild of a concept to just watch/do something else if TCM isn't airing something you're interested in? Have I been doing it wrong this whole time by finding an alternative way to entertain myself if TCM hasn't scheduled something to my exact tastes and mood?

Yes.  You are one of those tragically misguided people.  I fear for you.  Get help.

• Like 1

This kind of thread tells me that there is a concern about TCM changing-- or else it wouldn't be on anyone's mind to go back and look at other earlier criticism about the channel. 

Of course, the goal is to mock such criticism, but it is still there nonetheless-- and this thread is on some level reactionary. 

This kind of thread tells me that there is a concern about TCM changing-- or else it wouldn't be on anyone's mind to go back and look at other earlier criticism about the channel. 

Of course, the goal is to mock such criticism, but it is still there nonetheless-- and this thread is on some level reactionary. 

It is mocking,  It is blatantly, shamelessly, unapologetically, nayh, nyah, nayh, mocking.

But not reactionary.

• Like 2

Plus, the apologists have nothing better to do with their time.

Plus, the apologists have nothing better to do with their time.

You got it. I specifically came online this morning to make a comment about that.

This apologist thread is just as easy to mock and ridicule.

Is the word apologist on this board continuing to become an increasingly ugly, nasty, dirty word...?

• Like 1

Naw.  I think whomever started using this "apologist" word must have heard it somewhere, and somehow misguidingly decided that using it made him/her sound intellectual and can't give it up. 

Most of the adult and cognizant among us realize that TCM will do as they wish despite our likes or dislikes of it, and will just learn how to deal, or find something else to entertain us.  Yes, we CAN lament over how much we percieve that the channel has changed over time, and wish it would go back, but I'VE been doing THAT about the way I'VE changed over the years, and wish I could go back.  Just ain't gonna happen.  So, I've learned to deal.  Y'know, I don't like some of the "changes" that TCM has taken on in recent times, but just little ol' me can't do much, if anything about it, so it seems life goes on. 

Sepiatone

I think whomever started using this "apologist" word must have heard it somewhere, and somehow misguidingly decided that using it made him/her sound intellectual and can't give it up. 

It's humorous that those who've latched onto using it don't seem to know what it means. I'm not aware that anyone here ever apologizes for TCM - there's nothing to apologize for.

Still, the malcontents will probably go on using it, what with not really being the brightest crayons in the forum box.

• Like 5

It's humorous that those who've latched onto using it don't seem to know what it means. I'm not aware that anyone here ever apologizes for TCM - there's nothing to apologize for.

Still, the malcontents will probably go on using it, what with not really being the brightest crayons in the forum box.

I like this.... It amazes me that they will continue to use this ill-conceived message until it has been used so much, and yet they will then probably create yet another stupid phrase.

I guess I'm one of those here who can be labeled an apologist. On several occasions I've defended some of TCM's actions, the scheduling, the hosts, etc.  But I consider myself more of a realist. I know and accept the fact that TCM (or any station) doesn't exist to cater to my specific tastes. There is an audience out there with a wide range of tastes and a station like TCM is trying to reach as many as possible. So if I don't like foreign  films, or silent films , or films newer then a certain time period, or musicals, or Jerry Lewis, or whatever  else you can think of , I do realize that there are people out there that do like those films.  And I can accept the fact that some nights TCM will broadcast a bunch of films that I have zero  interest in. That's one of the nice things about having different channels to watch, or a DVD to pop in, or read a book (anyone else out there do that yet?). There has to be some money considerations involved when TCM accesses (or tries to) films from the various sources out there.  I'm guessing that some films are available for a set period of time and its up to the TCM scheduling as to how often they will play those films. LAURA hasn't been shown on TCM for a long time, if ever,  now they have it available and at some point it won't be available again, maybe for a long time. It was and still is a notable and popular film so why not play it several times. Played just once or even twice and there's a fair chance some people might miss it.  If you like LAURA, or films like that, you probably don't mind if its on several times, you may even care to watch it each time its on. Others maybe don't have any interest in the film so one showing is enough for them, they may even get upset when it shows up multiple times.  I say, so be it. I believe that TCM still shows the widest variety of films, they try (maybe not always successfully) to access the best available copies of the film and are honest when they represent it as such.  One criticism I do have (I've stated on several threads) is that I wish that the people who do the researching for the host's commentaries were a little more certain of the "facts" they present.  There have been more than a few "errors" made, often rather obvious. It reflects poorly on the host, who I don't expect to know everything about everything. I don't question their integrity, just their care in fact checking.  Finally I will say that for the ones who are so quick to take issue with "apologists" like me,  what is your motivation, to offer constructive criticism where it is warranted and in a civil manner?  Or just to take shots at anyone who doesn't always follow your "holier than thou" thinking?  This is all I have to say on the matter. I much prefer discussion about specific films,  actors, etc.

• Like 8

It amazes me that they will continue to use this ill-conceived message until it has been used so much

And I think that's the point of slaytonf's original post. They've been going at it since at least 2003 (probably longer, but I wasn't here until the end of 2006), with the same nonsense. They're impervious to facts, too; in one of the other threads somebody posted an analysis of eight months worth of TCM schedule and the response was basically that the numbers didn't matter because there were more recent movies in prime time. Ditto regarding whoever posts the statistics from 31 Days of Oscar. No, such facts don't matter; they feel TCM is rurning into AMC and nothing can change that feeling. It's as if they're sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming "La la la I can't hear you apologists!"

• Like 3

Well, mrroberts - if you think TCM is doing something wrong, I suppose you can apologize on its behalf - if you feel you must.

I don't see that TCM needs to apologize for what it's doing at all - it's the best movie channel available at an affordable cost to its viewers. It's beyond my understanding that anyone would feel the need to apologize for it. Defend it, maybe. But say "sorry"? I don't think so.

For all the years I've been coming here, these forums have almost on a daily basis featured somebody belly-aching about what TCM schedules. And yet TCM just goes on scheduling what it schedules unapologetically - clearly its answer to the complainants is "you don't like what's on the schedule, tuff tiddies". With the schedule provided months ahead of time, there's no reason why anyone can't plan around the movies they don't want to watch.

As for Ben and Bob, who at times utter imprecise "facts", they can apologize for themselves if they feel they should. Which apparently, they do not.

• Like 2

Darkblue, please understand I don't believe that TCM has to apologize for these things  nor do I consider myself an apologist.  I'm not the one to use that label "apologist".  I don't believe that TCM has a message to the naysayers like "tough tiddies" , just that they try to offer a schedule that has something to offer for a wide range of audience tastes. If you don't like what's on tonight, hopefully you will find something the next day that you will.

• Like 3

And I think that's the point of slaytonf's original post. They've been going at it since at least 2003 (probably longer, but I wasn't here until the end of 2006), with the same nonsense. They're impervious to facts, too; in one of the other threads somebody posted an analysis of eight months worth of TCM schedule and the response was basically that the numbers didn't matter because there were more recent movies in prime time. Ditto regarding whoever posts the statistics from 31 Days of Oscar. No, such facts don't matter; they feel TCM is rurning into AMC and nothing can change that feeling. It's as if they're sticking their fingers in their ears and screaming "La la la I can't hear you apologists!"

If TCM is going to the dogs, I wish they'd go ahead and do it already.  The suspense is killing me.

Well, shucks, it's time for . . .  

Dogs (1976) (aka:  "Slaughter")  David McCallum, George Wyner, Linda Gray (pre-Dallas)

If TCM is going 'to the dogs' then it might as well show DOGS. 

I've seen it three times; it's not bad.  A few interesting touches make it a little bit offbeat. 

Get out the flea powder! 

Darkblue, please understand I don't believe that TCM has to apologize for these things  nor do I consider myself an apologist.  I'm not the one to use that label "apologist". 

No, you don't. I do understand. Your post was just a good opportunity for me to expand a little on the falseness of the term.

I don't believe that TCM has a message to the naysayers like "tough tiddies"

Well, it should.

Darkblue, please understand I don't believe that TCM has to apologize for these things  nor do I consider myself an apologist.  I'm not the one to use that label "apologist".  I don't believe that TCM has a message to the naysayers like "tough tiddies" , just that they try to offer a schedule that has something to offer for a wide range of audience tastes. If you don't like what's on tonight, hopefully you will find something the next day that you will.

mrroberts,

I need my thumbs-down clip art again. That post seems like it was written by someone trying to save face with other posters.