Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Storytelling without words

speedracer5

One of my favorite things about films (both studio era and not) is how they can convey storyline details, character traits, etc. without having it verbally stated in the film.

Plot details and character traits could be displayed through the use of shadow and camera angles (for example). 

One of my favorite things about Double Indemnity is the use of shadow, in particular, the shadows of the Venetian blinds which to me, alludes to the idea of prison bars-- these characters are either trapped by their circumstances or perhaps it is foreshadowing that they won't get away with their crime.

Another non-verbal storytelling technique that I love is the use of camera angles.  In Citizen Kane, Orson Welles dug a trench for the scene when Kane loses the governor election.  While 'Kane' uses many low-angle shots, Welles went even "lower" for this shot because he wanted to depict Kane's fall from the top. 

To use a non-movie example, there are always the classic crooked villain shots in the Batman TV Show-- just as a means to silently convey that the criminals were again, up to no good.

What other examples of story telling without words are there? It seems that film noir capitalizes on many of these tactics; but I believe that storytelling without words spans multiple genres.

One that comes to mind is the recently talked about GHOST & MRS MUIR. The waves crashing on the rocks struck me as symbolic of passion and love that cannot be controlled by intellect. The music also furthers the story in that one.

One of my favorite things about films (both studio era and not) is how they can convey storyline details, character traits, etc. without having it verbally stated in the film.

Plot details and character traits could be displayed through the use of shadow and camera angles (for example). 

One of my favorite things about Double Indemnity is the use of shadow, in particular, the shadows of the Venetian blinds which to me, alludes to the idea of prison bars-- these characters are either trapped by their circumstances or perhaps it is foreshadowing that they won't get away with their crime.

Another non-verbal storytelling technique that I love is the use of camera angles.  In Citizen Kane, Orson Welles dug a trench for the scene when Kane loses the governor election.  While 'Kane' uses many low-angle shots, Welles went even "lower" for this shot because he wanted to depict Kane's fall from the top. 

To use a non-movie example, there are always the classic crooked villain shots in the Batman TV Show-- just as a means to silently convey that the criminals were again, up to no good.

What other examples of story telling without words are there? It seems that film noir capitalizes on many of these tactics; but I believe that storytelling without words spans multiple genres.

http://publishingperspectives.com/2013/12/author-bill-thomson-on-storytelling-without-words/

Gleason's mute performance in GIGOT.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings