Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Heartbroken, Dish CEO doesn't care about getting the Turner channels back

PattiTexas

I'm considering switching to Direct TV BUT I worry that when Turner has to renew the contract with them I'll be in the same boat. :(

Dish Networks CEO said He’s prepared to do without Turner.

Charlie Ergen said When we take something down we’re prepared to leave it down forever. Things like CNN are not quite the product that they used to be. You can imagine: CNN down on election night would have been a disaster 15 or 20 years ago. Now there are plenty of other places for people to get news. In fact a lot of people get news not from TV but from their devices. So it’s not had a major impact on our business yet. I do expect that we would ultimately lose some subscribers without Turner programming. We would prefer to get a deal done. But we have a timeframe that we look at and there comes a point in time, certainly during this month, if we don’t have a deal [then] we just make a long-term decision to go a different direction.

Possible advantages of losing Turner:

If we’re not going to be in a relationship with Turner then we would not have to raise our prices next year. And that would be slightly cash positive for us from a cash flow perspective. Yes, we listen to customers. But we would save a big, big, big check from a cash flow perspective. And for those folks who don’t care about news and cartoons, we have other news and cartoon shows. [Would subscribers] rather save the money? There’s a pretty good chance that they would. With regional sports, at some point someone is not going to carry regional sports because not everybody watches regional sports. I just think that there’s going to be more diversity, particularly when you can get cartoons from Netflix, or you can get news from the Internet, or you can get a TV show a week later, or you can binge view all the shows in a way that you can’t do easily on TV as you do it today. The world is changing. Some people are going to change with it. Some people are going to be fast followers. And some people are going to figure it out after somebody tells them what they should be doing.
:(

Good for him. He is doing customers a favor. Turner is going to sing a different tune after a financial quarter without this sort of cash flow coming in from Dish. It may help all Turner customers across the board, because other companies will be empowered to follow Dish's lead and stop Turner from holding them hostage.

Kudos!

but we pay the price....... :(

I really enjoyed my classic movies.  I don't get into the who does what to whom and when. I just enjoy the movies. Growing old is hard enough, the movies brought me some joy.

If you only go without for two or three months, that is not a huge price to pay. Come on-- we need to stop being fatalists. Losing a favorite cable channel is not the end of the world. We need to put this into proper perspective. 

Oy to the vey. Dios mio. Zut alors and all that other good stuff.

I just got off the phone with Dish. I canceled my service since all I really enjoyed watching was TCM. I won't sign up with Direct TV since there is no way to know if this would also happen with them.

I came here for years reading and enjoying many of the topics so I thank you all for that.  I see no reason to return now that I can no longer watch TCM. I wish you many blessings.

Ba mhaith liom tú sláinte , is mian liom go maith leat , agus galore sonas .
Ba mhaith liom tú ádh ar do shon agus cairde ; cad a raibh mé in mian leat níos mó?
Raibh do sólás a bheith chomh domhain mar na n-aigéan , do Trioblóidí mar solas mar a cúr .
Agus is féidir leat teacht ar , suaimhneas milis intinne , nuair a bhí riamh is féidir leat roam .

I just got off the phone with Dish. I canceled my service since all I really enjoyed watching was TCM. I won't sign up with Direct TV since there is no way to know if this would also happen with them.

I came here for years reading and enjoying many of the topics so I thank you all for that.  I see no reason to return now that I can no longer watch TCM. I wish you many blessings.

Ba mhaith liom tú ádh ar do shon agus cairde ; cad a raibh mé in mian leat níos mó?

Raibh do sólás a bheith chomh domhain mar na n-aigéan , do Trioblóidí mar solas mar a cúr .

Agus is féidir leat teacht ar , suaimhneas milis intinne , nuair a bhí riamh is féidir leat roam .

Ohhhhh...........I am sorry to read this, Patti. You are truly one of the nice ones here.

Can you get FIOS where you are? They are outrageously expensive, but as of yet, they have not stolen any of my channels.

What is this world coming to. :(

Why don't you stay with us, since there are old films available on YouTube and other places on the internet, and this feud with Dish will eventually be over.

We can still discuss old movies.

Patti, you seem to be one very nice lady!

Just to let you know, there are some of us here who still post but do not receive TCM anymore either. I am one of those folks. Unemployed for a very long time, TCM was part of a higher tier on my Comcast package, so I dropped the tier and for over a year now I have not received TCM. Do I miss it? Yes, but I still continue to communicate with all of my friends here at TCM City.

Just because you don't have the channel, that should not prevent you from discussing one of your favorite subjects... movies.

So please rethink your decision and stick around. You obviously have a lot to say about your love of movies and even though you may not have TCM anymore, you are still amongst your adoptive friends here and there is no reason to stop writing about movies and or conversing with others who share your passion.

So please stay Patti!!!

Fxreyman aka Rey

I really wish folks with Dish would calm down. Last winter my Cable One cut TCM for over a month. It is back on my cable lineup. Just be patient. Sheesh.

Agreed.  I have Dish and I've been waiting it out.  I don't think Dish is going to choose to go without these channels-- including 3 major ones: TCM, Cartoon Network and CNN.  I am bummed that I can't watch my "Forensic Files" on Tru TV and HLN (the only thing I watch on those channels); but fortunately, Netflix just added the show to the Instant Queue.

Fortunately, I still have a bunch of previously recorded movies on the DVR that I recorded when I had TCM and then I have a zillion DVDs-- so I am not without anything to watch.  I have 4 Errol Flynn movie boxsets + random Flynn movies from the WB Shop, I'm covered for awhile ;-)

I'm crossing my fingers that we'll have TCM back by December.  There were a bunch of movies scheduled that I wanted to see. 

I did not pay my Dish for November. By the end of the month is this is not resolved, I am cancelling. Its funny how they can take channels at will but, my bill stays the same amount.

And today's comments by the head of Dish sound quite arrogant. If the channels didn't matter, why did you ever have them at all ? I still like classic films so I'll be around a bit more .

I really wish folks with Dish would calm down. Last winter my Cable One cut TCM for over a month. It is back on my cable lineup. Just be patient. Sheesh.

I agree. These people are having a temper tantrum. It's shameful behavior, especially when there are others who cannot afford cable. These people are canceling by choice because they are not getting what they want. I can't feel sorry for that. Then they say they will not post on the message boards-- like that carries any weight anywhere. Again more temper tantrums from adults who should be exhibiting more mature behavior. Where is that thumbs down clip art of mine...?

I'm crossing my fingers that we'll have TCM back by December.  There were a bunch of movies scheduled that I wanted to see. 

If they're in the Turner Library, they will no doubt air again (many times). If they're holiday classics they will air again next December. No biggie, folks.

being without tcm for a few months can be no real ordeal as they are sure to carry on and on and on with the same long established rotation pet movies.

have some faith in tcm. :)

Exactly. Either these people do not understand TCM's repetitious broadcast pattern or they just like to howl at the moon. 

This is a game of cat and mouse, Dish said the same about the Weather Channel earlier.

The Weather Channel is the most worthless channel on the air. What a joke. Cant even get a forecast half the time........They show weather series shows now. Half the time it looks like a half-baked version of the Today Show..........

• Like 1

These people are having a temper tantrum. It's shameful behavior, especially when there are others who cannot afford cable. These people are canceling by choice because they are not getting what they want. I can't feel sorry for that. Then they say they will not post on the message boards-- like that carries any weight anywhere. Again more temper tantrums from adults who should be exhibiting more mature behavior.

Nice little tantrum of your own there, Sunshine.

You're welcome. But, I think I misspoke. It's more of a rant than a tantrum. My bad.

What I realized is that the originator of this thread also had another thread where she complained about TCM not listening to fans about movie programming/selections for broadcast. So she was unhappy about TCM. Then we get over to this thread and she was unhappy about Dish and losing a channel she was unhappy with because they didn't use viewer suggestions. So it really was an oy to the vey moment trying to figure out how important TCM was for her, because she really wasn't happy about several things. That is where I decided she must be having tantrums. One thing we have to say about me is that with all my constructive criticism I have never threatened to quit watching TCM. Sometimes I want to take a break from the message board because I feel like I am too prolific and that I need to step back and let it flow without me for a few days-- but then I read some of these threads and the oy to the vey starts pumping through my veins again. It's not ranting as much as it is verklemptness.

The Weather Channel is the most worthless channel on the air. What a joke. Cant even get a forecast half the time........They show weather series shows now. Half the time it looks like a half-baked version of the Today Show..........

you said it! too many times when I have gone to the weather channel during primetime hours to get a friggin' weather forecast, they've got one of their damnable original series' on. the weather channel long ago fell into the hands of idiots who seem to be oblivious to the original mission of the weather channel, to provide hour-to-hour, minute-to-minute weather forecasts. the days of intelligent weather coverage provided by top-notch A-1 guys like John Hope are long gone. :angry:

It's not that current weather channel personalities aren't knowledgeable but they seem to think that storm chaser documentaries are more important than providing periodic forecasts. if they're not going to do that than I suggest they should just close up shop and free up some cable bandwidth. :D

you said it! too many times when I have gone to the weather channel during primetime hours to get a friggin' weather forecast, they've got one of their damnable original series' on. the weather channel long ago fell into the hands of idiots who seem to be oblivious to the original mission of the weather channel, to provide hour-to-hour, minute-to-minute weather forecasts. the days of intelligent weather coverage provided by top-notch A-1 guys like John Hope are long gone. :angry:

It's not that current weather channel personalities aren't knowledgeable but they seem to think that storm chaser documentaries are more important than providing periodic forecasts. if they're not going to do that than I suggest they should just close up shop and free up some cable bandwidth. :D

It didnt used to be this way. I forget who acquired it (WC) but when they took over the channel, they completely revamped it to its present deplorable state as a quasi-entertainment channel. So awful.

What I realized is that the originator of this thread also had another thread where she complained about TCM not listening to fans about movie programming/selections for broadcast. So she was unhappy about TCM. Then we get over to this thread and she was unhappy about Dish and losing a channel she was unhappy with because they didn't use viewer suggestions. So it really was an oy to the vey moment trying to figure out how important TCM was for her, because she really wasn't happy about several things. That is where I decided she must be having tantrums. One thing we have to say about me is that with all my constructive criticism I have never threatened to quit watching TCM. Sometimes I want to take a break from the message board because I feel like I am too prolific and that I need to step back and let it flow without me for a few days-- but then I read some of these threads and the oy to the vey starts pumping through my veins again. It's not ranting as much as it is verklemptness.

Just so you know, I wasn't throwing a tantrum. What I actually posted is below in RED!

It was regarding why some movies are never shown and about the Request people make.

Some movies have been on in the past on TCM but we never see them anymore while others are shown over and over. I notice these a lot on the Suggest A Movie Page.

A few examples I see requested a lot are

An Angel In My Pocket

The Truth About Spring

All the old Ma and Pa Kettle movies

The Tarzan movies with Johnny Weissmuller ( they show a couple of these but not all)

The Five Little Pepper's films.

I'd Rather Be Rich

Fluffy

Blondie and Dagwood films

Dynasty (1977)

There are so many more that I've seen people request for many many years that never get shown. I realize they have to get the rights to some of the films but why were they shown years ago but not anymore? I also wonder why so many that have never been released to DVD or VHS are sitting on a shelf somewhere and we'll never have the chance to see them even once.

Does anyone at TCM really read the Request on Suggest A Movie?

YOU are one of the reasons I mainly lurked to read about the movies and such on here and I tried my best to avoid anything that would cause a stink but you came after me and I won't stand for that! For my health I am supposed to remain calm but you are just a jerk. I'm an old lady and I was taught to treat others as I wish to be treated but you make it so hard to turn the other cheek.

I never said I disliked TCM, I NEVER threatened to stop watching it, it was REMOVED by DISH!  I was upset because unlike some people I am not able to watch movies online. I said I wondered IF ANYONE was actually reading the 'Request' and I did say on some thread that they tend to show some of the same movies over and over BUT I NEVER SAID I DIDN'T LIKE TCM. IT IS JUST ABOUT ALL I WATCHED ON TV. :angry:

I have to wonder why you are so condescending to others and just downright hateful and rude! It takes a lot to get my dander up but you did. Are you that unhappy that you feel the need to hurt others by being so nasty? I am a lady and always try to maintain class even if you disagree and I use a great deal of restraint but you seem to bait people and I don't like it. EVERYONE has a breaking point when they refuse to take anymore crap from others. I have seen how you talk (type) to others for a long time now and I can honestly say you seem to be the one that throws tantrums! To be truthful, I felt ashamed FOR YOU!

HOW DARE YOU ASSUME ANYTHING ABOUT ME, YOU DON'T KNOW ME AND YOU DON'T WHAT I THINK OR FEEL. APPARENTLY YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYONE EXCEPT YOURSELF AND YOU PROVE THAT WITH THE TONE OF YOUR WRITING. I actually FEEL SORRY FOR YOU. I HOPE I AM NEVER SO HATEFUL TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE NOTHING TO ME BUT ASK SIMPLE QUESTIONS ON A MESSAGE BOARD.

Just so you know, this is not a tantrum either, this is anger because of you.

*****To the person asking about my contract with Dish. I was willing to pay to get out of the contract for the little time remaining because in the end it would have saved me money. My son called and talked me into keeping Dish and is going to cover the cost. It's not always easy making ends meet on SS but that was my only luxury. He has offered before but I always declined but It was kind of him to offer and it will help me out, things seem to continue to increase each month, like groceries etc.

So, I'll be sticking around unless I get banned for speaking my mind but somebody needed to say it.....I am willing to bet it falls on deaf ears. :rolleyes: And to the rest of you, I'm sorry I got angry.

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings