Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Character in a classic film you most resemble...

TopBilled

I think people can tell by my posting history that I am an eternal spoiled brat.

imgres34.jpg

So for me, the character I most identify with is George Amberson Minafer in THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS.

I love it when he gets in trouble for telling a neighbor to go to-- and then when he is questioned by his family, he says that the neighbor is riff-raff. Georgie you mustn't say such things, it isn't nice, his mother says. Yes, mother, George replies, but they're still riff-raff. 

That's me! In the late 80s, my grandmother sat me down to watch this film, because she figured I should see myself on celluloid. 

Great webpage about Georgie's cursing:

http://www.thevintagereader.com/2012/04/cursing-georgie-minafer-style.html

Bad Bob..................the original Bad Bob.  Just ask my wife, grown children, neighbors, coworkers, anybody in town, sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, dead ancestors. 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DubjIc3qLPds&ei=VbdaVICLKe71iQL5z4HoBw&usg=AFQjCNGjp2tUzUVvXy4U9MsagP-zeqm_2A&sig2=vsLOeINy79GcUXqS30SZHA&bvm=bv.78972154,d.cGE

• Like 1

Stella Dallas -- While I'm not exactly from the "wrong side of the tracks," In my relationship with my own daughter, I have definitely experienced the shame Stella felt when she overhears her daughters' friends talking about her.   The scene on the train never fails to make me tear up.

• Like 1

Millie in "Picnic." Physically we kind of look similar: petite, brown hair, etc. However, I identify with her character (although minus some of her drama).  She prefers to read and learn as opposed to going out.  She isn't boy crazy (me neither, I have "my boy" and that's all I need.  Dating is too much work!) However, she's more drawn to charismatic and interesting people as opposed to those who are shallow. She's a tomboy.  She gets sick from drinking too much and like me, she cannot dance. 

One way we differ is that she sneaks cigarettes and I can't say that I have any desire to smoke secretly or openly. 

• Like 1

In the early '70s and when I was in my early twenties, for a short time I thought of myself as C.C. Baxter in THE APARTMENT, and primarily because I was madly in love with a girl who worked in same office I did and who was having an affair with our married boss, and it was during this time I happened upon this classic film on television for the very first time and thus could identify with Jack Lemmon's character.  

When their affair ended I was there to console her and which would ultimately led us to begin a relationship which would result in our cohabitation.

And as I think we all know, "rebound" relationships usually don't last very long. About two years in my case.

I sometimes wonder if we would have taken up playing gin rummy together if it might've lasted longer?

apartment-1960-jack-lemmon-shirley-macla

(...and no, if you're wonderin' here, I don't send her a fruitcake every Christmas!!!)

LOL

• Like 1

There are days such as today when I feel very strongly as if I am title character in: The Blob (1958).

I feel that in many ways my personality and general temperament and passions parallel those of Maria in  The Forty-first (1956).

It is not classic movie but I have been told that I am very much like character: Triela in television series: Gansuringa Garu (2003-2004). I believe it may be because I am unmoved by serious things which I know can not be changed and accept them as simple fact of existence. It is also that I am calm and reasonable in process of destroying some person who richly deserves it.

...It is also that I am calm and reasonable in process of destroying some person who richly deserves it.

Trust me here Sans...it's FAR better to just send such a person a fruitcake every Christmas than to continue down THAT sort of path!!!

As previously mentioned, I saw this tact taken in a particular movie.

(...btw...knowing as I do your proficiency with firearms, I won't bother you with any warnings about accidentally shooting yourself in the leg with a .45  like Lemmon says he once did in that flick) ;)  

it's FAR better to just send such a person a fruitcake every Christmas than to continue down THAT sort of path!!!

I believe that it is important to remember that it requires forty-three muscles to frown but only six muscles to pull the trigger of a .357 magnum. ;)

I was trying to think of somebody in film who is extremely mischievous because that's what I am. The closest I could think of is Harpo Marx. I don't chase girls, but I have been known to follow the boys with a leer in my eye.

I believe that could describe Lauren Bacall, Thelma Ritter and many others but Shirley MacLaine is the first who comes to my mind. :)

Like everyone, I act differently in different situations but I can be organized into 2 categories:

On a good day I'd like to think I'm Elinor Dashwood (played by Emma Thompson) from SENSE AND SENSIBILITY: hiding my deep feelings, keeping in control as everyone else falls apart, great in a crisis, practical, not prone to overreact, and basically a likeable enigma. (Although I'm more the age of Anne Elliott from PERSUASION, so you could say I'm her too, since they're kind of similar.)

41959El+DHL.jpg196995_320.jpg

However.....

On most days, I'm one of many snarky wise-cracking side characters who, of course, never get the guy, but who always have a funny quip for every situation and doesn't take too much too seriousy. Think the funny maid Molly (Jean Dixon) in MY MAN GODFREY, Liz (Ruth Hussey) in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, and Lorraine (Una Merkel) in 42nd STREET.

Bullocks+3+Carole+Lombard+William+Powell

Philadelphia-Story-Hussey.png

tumblr_n86osu9aat1qbuqcio1_500.gif

Yeah, that's me right there.

So though I wish I was Elinor Dashwood all the time, I'm really just Liz. But that's fine with me-- "I'm a seasoned campainer." :)

I think people can tell by my posting history that I am an eternal spoiled brat.

imgres34.jpg

So for me, the character I most identify with is George Amberson Minafer in THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS.

I love it when he gets in trouble for telling a neighbor to go to-- and then when he is questioned by his family, he says that the neighbor is riff-raff. Georgie you mustn't say such things, it isn't nice, his mother says. Yes, mother, George replies, but they're still riff-raff. 

That's me! In the late 80s, my grandmother sat me down to watch this film, because she figured I should see myself on celluloid. 

Great webpage about Georgie's cursing:

http://www.thevintagereader.com/2012/04/cursing-georgie-minafer-style.html

The closest is Rudolf Amon Prack.

jr8buw.jpg

imgres37.jpg

After I started this thread, I realized that I had a few more things in common with George Amberson Minafer. When my parents were divorcing-- I was 17 and had just graduated high school-- I was sent to Chicago to live with my aunt. I had an aunt as bad as Aunt Fanny (played by Agnes Moorehead in the movie). She was between husbands and she was about as vain and materialistic as a person could be. I was vain and materialistic, too, but not like she was-- though she did teach me a few new tricks. I was supposed to provide some sort of emotional family anchoring for her while my mother sorted out her marital problems back in Colorado-- my mother never did return to Chicago, and I was stuck with my aunt until she snagged some well-off poor soul, much older but obviously not much smarter, into marrying her. 

In THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, Fanny is George's aunt on his father's side. In my case, it was my mother's side, but it was the same kind of situation. And though it was not Indianapolis but rather Chicago, we still had the midwestern atmosphere and the stories of the past where I heard about my aunt being viciously jealous of my mother, like how Fanny is jealous of Isabel in Tarkington's story. My father confirmed the stories years later as being true.

I had been putting off going to college full-time-- I was attending part time at DePaul and working at my aunt's company in the Bloomingdale's building downtown. But eventually I decided it was enough. I reapplied to the University of Southern California, where I was once again accepted, and the following fall, at the age of 20, I had moved to Los Angeles. I never saw my aunt again. She ended up burying that old man seven years later, then found another fool willing to marry her. I call her a stupid woman, but she was actually quite shrewd, though not as skilled as my mother in this department. My mother always looked at my aunt with pity, the way Isabel does with Fanny in THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS-- you know, how a woman with children looks at a woman without children. I understood that. But I swore I would never let my mother use me again to be my aunt's surrogate son.

• Like 1

Ebenezer Scrooge, minus the miserliness. Misanthropic, filter-less, and loving every minute of it. Oh, and there are no spirits, so there'll be no becoming nicer, thank you very much.

WAIT now, primos! Are you SURE about there being "no spirits" here?!

I mean, THINK about it! "No spirits" means no Afterlife, right?! AND, no Afterlife MEANS that there's NO way in some preconceived Heaven OR Hell that you'll be able to marry that bad boy of yours, Mr. William, after you kick off, RIGHT???!!!

Now, this IS unless you ONLY meant to imply that "there are no spirits" in this little Dickensian scenario of yours here, of course! 

(...btw...have I ever told you that I think this "hard-as-nails" thing you try to project around here is REALLY just a big act, and that you REALLY have a "soft chewy center" just like Ebenezer is shown to have by the end of Mr. Dickens' tale?!...nope, I don't think I ever have, have I?!) LOL

;)

WAIT now, primos! Are you SURE about there being "no spirits" here?!

I mean, THINK about it! "No spirits" means no Afterlife, right?! AND, no Afterlife MEANS that there's NO way in some preconceived Heaven OR Hell that you'll be able to marry that bad boy of yours, Mr. William, after you kick off, RIGHT???!!!

Now, this IS unless you ONLY meant to imply that "there are no spirits" in this little Dickensian scenario of yours here, of course! 

(...btw...have I ever told you that I think this "hard-as-nails" thing you try to project around here is REALLY just a big act, and that you REALLY have a "soft chewy center" just like Ebenezer is shown to have by the end of Mr. Dickens' tale?!...nope, I don't think I ever have, have I?!) LOL

;)

Hah, good point Dargo about the spirits and my future husband, Warren. Heck, you might even be right about the 'soft chewy center', but Mr. primos might disagree with you. Aw heck, maybe not. I know my dog would agree with you, that little so and so has me wrapped around his paw. :D

But I still get in trouble for speaking my mind, you no doubt believe that, right? :rolleyes: People really can't handle the truth.

• Like 1

imgres37.jpg

After I started this thread, I realized that I had a few more things in common with George Amberson Minafer. When my parents were divorcing-- I was 17 and had just graduated high school-- I was sent to Chicago to live with my aunt. I had an aunt as bad as Aunt Fanny (played by Agnes Moorehead in the movie). She was between husbands and she was about as vain and materialistic as a person could be. I was vain and materialistic, too, but not like she was-- though she did teach me a few new tricks. I was supposed to provide some sort of emotional family anchoring for her while my mother sorted out her marital problems back in Colorado-- my mother never did return to Chicago, and I was stuck with my aunt until she snagged some well-off poor soul, much older but obviously not much smarter, into marrying her. 

In THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, Fanny is George's aunt on his father's side. In my case, it was my mother's side, but it was the same kind of situation. And though it was not Indianapolis but rather Chicago, we still had the midwestern atmosphere and the stories of the past where I heard about my aunt being viciously jealous of my mother, like how Fanny is jealous of Isabel in Tarkington's story. My father confirmed the stories years later as being true.

I had been putting off going to college full-time-- I was attending part time at DePaul and working at my aunt's company in the Bloomingdale's building downtown. But eventually I decided it was enough. I reapplied to the University of Southern California, where I was once again accepted, and the following fall, at the age of 20, I had moved to Los Angeles. I never saw my aunt again. She ended up burying that old man seven years later, then found another fool willing to marry her. I call her a stupid woman, but she was actually quite shrewd, though not as skilled as my mother in this department. My mother always looked at my aunt with pity, the way Isabel does with Fanny in THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS-- you know, how a woman with children looks at a woman without children. I understood that. But I swore I would never let my mother use me again to be my aunt's surrogate son.

Thanks for sharing, TB, interesting stories. Sorry to say I can't recall the Georgie character. I don't find the movie easy to re-watch, for some reason.

But I still get in trouble for speaking my mind, you no doubt believe that, right? :rolleyes: People really can't handle the truth.

Well, seein' as how you brought THAT up again...

Have I ALSO ever told you that I think all this "trouble" you say you get isn't so much about your "speaking your mind" OR that "people can't handle the truth", MIGHT be more the idea that when you state some opinions of yours as "the truth", it gives others the impression that THEIR opinions are somehow "less truthful", and that MAYBE because of that, THIS might be why you sense receiving this so-called "trouble", aka "being picked on" by others around here?

(...yep, in THIS case, I do believe I HAVE mentioned this to you fairly recently, haven't I?!) ;)

• Like 2

Well, seein' as how you brought THAT up again...

Have I ALSO ever told you that I think all this "trouble" you say you get isn't so much about your "speaking your mind" OR that "people can't handle the truth", MIGHT be more the idea that when you state some opinions of yours as "the truth", it gives others the impression that THEIR opinions are somehow "less truthful", and that MAYBE because of that, THIS might be why you sense receiving this so-called "trouble", aka "being picked on" by others around here?

(...yep, in THIS case, I do believe I HAVE mentioned this to you fairly recently, haven't I?!) ;)

MIGHT be more the idea that when you state some opinions of yours as "the truth",

Nope, my opinions (usually) are the right ones, and they are the truth. Simple.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings