Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

once again, a familiar friend

NipkowDisc

Here's a drinking game for ya, ND!

Take a sip of your favorite potent potable every time you spot that same green Volkswagen Beetle goin' downhill down that SF street as McQueen's Mustang and the bad guy's Charger passes it in that granddaddy of all car chase scenes!!! ;)

(...that little VW SURE gets around, don't it?!) 

Take a sip of your favorite potent potable every time you spot that same green Volkswagen Beetle goin' downhill down that SF street as McQueen's Mustang and the bad guy's Charger passes it in that granddaddy of all car chase scenes!!! ;)

(...that little VW SURE gets around, don't it?!) 

It is my understanding that California had for environmental reasons a quota system in place which required automobile dealerships to sell one Volkswagen for every two Cadillacs which they sold.

I believe it is understandable that there was great quantity of green ones.

It is my understanding that California had for environmental reasons a quota system in place which required automobile dealerships to sell one Volkswagen for every two Cadillacs which they sold.

I believe it is understandable that there was great quantity of green ones.

LOL

Yeah Sans, I guess The Golden State was "going green" YEARS before it became fashionable to do so, huh! ;)

And so once again, California was "leading the way".

(...it's just too bad Toyota hadn't come out with their Prius model by '68 or else we'd probably all be seein' McQueen and those two bad guys passin' THAT same baby over and over in this flick!) 

LOL

Yeah Sans, I guess The Golden State was "going green" YEARS before it became fashionable to do so, huh! ;)

(...it's just too bad Toyota hadn't come out with their Prius model by '68 or else we'd probably all be seein' McQueen and those two bad guys passin' THAT same baby over and over in this flick!) 

california needs to develop a technology where water can be taken right outta the air. :)

california, the drought-friendly state :lol:

california needs to develop a technology where water can be taken right outta the air. :)

california, the drought-friendly state :lol:

Well, I always thought that there just HAD to be SOME way they could transfer at least SOME of the runoff from all those BLIZZARDS you folks back east suffer through every Winter, anyway!!! LOL

I guess The Golden State was "going green" YEARS before it became fashionable to do so, huh! ;)

I have been informed that the: "green" movement acquired its name because of these automobiles.

Car dealerships did not wish full burden of selling small cars and so Volkswagen created a special edition. These automobiles were made in separate production runs with no options. This eliminated costs associated with controlling which vehicles on the line received which equipment and eliminated entirely manpower at several assembly stations which installed such equipment.

Further cost reduction was achieved by instituting: "any color as long as it is green" policy because green paint was the least expensive.

These production methods allowed manufacturer to set prices for dealers far lower than for their normal production automobiles.

Dealerships had incentive to sell them at cost so as to move them quickly because they wished profits from selling Cadillacs. 

This made them affordable to college students who were the forefront of ecology movement.

These factors combined so that the color green was quickly associated with low-cost and high mpg vehicles and by extension all things which minimized environmental impact.

I should perhaps note that my source for this information is a science fiction writer who has been taking his pain medication at the minimal interval and who felt it necessary to find an alternative to placing an only one-quarter-full bottle of rum in the cabinet after we made banana bread.

• Like 1

...I should perhaps note that my source for this information is a science fiction writer who has been taking his pain medication at the minimal interval and who felt it necessary to find an alternative to placing an only one-quarter-full bottle of rum in the cabinet after we made banana bread.

Yeah, according to the AMA, broken ankles incurred during weddings CAN sometimes require additional means to relieve the associated pain that comes with such an unfortunate mishap.

(...I assume THAT was your "source" here, right?!) ;)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings