Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should TCM consider giving us some first-run films?

NipkowDisc

mainstream features not their eclectic peculiarities.

two suggestion. both star Anthony Quinn.

Hot Spell which tcm has not shown for so many years it might as well be classified first-run. :D

and from 1954, Attila with Quinn in the title role and a young sizzling hot Sophia Loren. :)

23r7qlf.jpg                                                                     

Hot Spell which tcm has not shown for so many years it might as well be classified first-run. :D

and from 1954, Attila with Quinn in the title role and a young sizzling hot Sophia Loren. :)

23r7qlf.jpg

Anything, even a home movie. with a "young sizzling hot" Sophia Loren is more than welcome on TCM.

is it too late? has tcm been complacent towards the masses for far too long? dish seemed to think so and gave 'em the ol' kibosh. :) my advice? get a hold of colorized prints of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Chain Lightning and make an entire evening out of it. in other words, tcm oughta reverse themselves on their sell-out of colorization. that'll get them some attention if only from the black & white purists. :lol:

they should play it up big with something like Colorization is coming back and TCM has got it. :)

when you put yourself in the doghouse with providers you gotta get creative. :D

23r7qlf.jpg

[...]

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited to remove comments

is it too late? has tcm been complacent towards the masses for far too long? dish seemed to think so and gave 'em the ol' kibosh. :) my advice? get a hold of colorized prints of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House and Chain Lightning and make an entire evening out of it. in other words, tcm oughta reverse themselves on their sell-out of colorization. that'll get them some attention if only from the black & white purists. :lol:

they should play it up big with something like Colorization is coming back and TCM has got it. :)

when you put yourself in the doghouse with providers you gotta get creative. :D

Showing colorized films would be selling out.       I really hope TCM ignores your wish!  

Also, you again pretent to be an agent for the masses.    How do you know the masses want colorized films?    I don't think the masses wish to watch movies made over 30 or so years ago, period.   Colorized or black and white.     

• Like 2

Showing colorized films would be selling out.       I really hope TCM ignores your wish!  

Also, you again pretent to be an agent for the masses.    How do you know the masses want colorized films?    I don't think the masses wish to watch movies made over 30 or so years ago, period.   Colorized or black and white.     

yeah? then it is completely reasonable for me to ask you why you think the younger demographic's wishes trump us older viewers wishes?

one could easily argue that the wizard of oz was never meant to be shown in a widescreen imax format but it was. :P black & white purists who balk at colorizing are being too intolerant and arbitrary. Hell, I grew up watching TV and movies in black & white. the first time I ever saw the '62 remake of mutiny on the bounty was on a black & white TV set and 4:3 formatted on ABC. let tcm run some colorized films like the two I've mentioned. Play it up big and lets just see what happens. I would prefer many things in black and white too but I'm not so intolerantly arbitrary as to be against giving something a fair shake. :P

Not to split hairs here, but once a film has been shown it's no longer considered  first-run. Doesn't matter how long it's been since it was shown, a "first" can only happen once.

yeah? then it is completely reasonable for me to ask you why you think the younger demographic's wishes trump us older viewers wishes?

I don't believe the younger demos wishes trump us older viewers as far as TCM is concerned.   Like I said most younger viewers don't wish to watch movies released over 30 years ago, colorized or not.    So if TCM was really trying to appeal to them TCM would stop showing 'old' movies and switch to reality TV or MMA type of sports.

is it too late? has tcm been complacent towards the masses for far too long? dish seemed to think so and gave 'em the ol' kibosh.

DISH has always been cheap and exceedingly tough in negotiations. It is how they keep their highly competitive price point.That's not the same as DISH dropping TCM because it is a loser. DISH dropped it to pressure the Turner channels into dropping their prices. I sat through the removal of ESPN HD feeds and several Disney channels during negotiations with THAT corporate power a few years ago. They also often drop locals while negotiating.

They want YOU to help them pressure Turner.

I don't believe the younger demos wishes trump us older viewers as far as TCM is concerned.   Like I said most younger viewers don't wish to watch movies released over 30 years ago, colorized or not.    So if TCM was really trying to appeal to them TCM would stop showing 'old' movies and switch to reality TV or MMA type of sports.

I think you may not know how popular TCM is with younger people. I've been on three of the cruises and a lot of people under forty attend these events, and going by my young friend who is very immersed in the classic film world, she absolutely wants these films in original specs. I think she wouldn't watch a colorized movie on purpose.

I think you may not know how popular TCM is with younger people. I've been on three of the cruises and a lot of people under forty attend these events, and going by my young friend who is very immersed in the classic film world, she absolutely wants these films in original specs. I think she wouldn't watch a colorized movie on purpose.

I assume the vast majority of the people in the USA under 40 do NOT watch TCM on a regular basis.    The people that go on these TCM cruises do NOT represent the vast majority of people in the USA,  anymore than the people at this forum do.

• Like 1

Not to split hairs here, but once a film has been shown it's no longer considered  first-run. Doesn't matter how long it's been since it was shown, a "first" can only happen once.

tcm has done that a number of times already. I have heard Robert Osborne refer to a film tcm has not shown in a great long time as a premiere.

obviously they are not above doing that because they darn well know that a lot of viewers ain't gonna know the difference.

if tcm is breaking out a film they know hasn't been shown by them in years, they oughta be up front about it and not give some viewers the misleading impression that a film has never been shown on tcm before when it has.

I assume the vast majority of the people in the USA under 40 do NOT watch TCM on a regular basis.    The people that go on these TCM cruises do NOT represent the vast majority of people in the USA,  anymore than the people at this forum do.

I assume a vast majority of Americans, regardless of age, do Not watch TCM on a regular basis. I doubt they have a million viewers ever. But I can imagine their viewership is younger than most people think.

tcm has done that a number of times already. I have heard Robert Osborne refer to a film tcm has not shown in a great long time as a premiere.

obviously they are not above doing that because they darn well know that a lot of viewers ain't gonna know the difference.

if tcm is breaking out a film they know hasn't been shown by them in years, they oughta be up front about it and not give some viewers the misleading impression that a film has never been shown on tcm before when it has.

This may just be one of the many mistakes fed to RO by the staff, rather than an intentional misstatement.

I assume a vast majority of Americans, regardless of age, do Not watch TCM on a regular basis. I doubt they have a million viewers ever. But I can imagine their viewership is younger than most people think.

The real question here is:  Does TCM have an age demographic that representive of the general public or NOT.    I assume they do NOT.    Instead I assume they have a higher percentage of over 50 viewers and a lower percentage of under 30 viewers than that of the general public.   But I have no data, so I'm only guessing.

The real question here is:  Does TCM have an age demographic that representive of the general public or NOT.    I assume they do NOT.    Instead I assume they have a higher percentage of over 50 viewers and a lower percentage of under 30 viewers than that of the general public.   But I have no data, so I'm only guessing.

The demo is probably younger than many people think, but certainly older than most other cable channels.

I really hope that you don't think I'm trying to start a fight with you because I'm not. In fact, I picked your original thought to respond to because the OP was asking if TCM showed first run films, which I took to mean just out of theaters, or colorized versions of black & white films, that a younger demographic would tune in to watch. I posit that based on my limited exposure to a crowd of fans at a TCM multi day event i. e. TCM cruises, that a lot of people under forty (born after 1974) attend these events. I'm over sixty and while there were many people my age and older, I talked to many people in their twenties and early thirties. I consider the crowd a microcosm of their viewership. My young friend I mentioned in my previous post goes to the festival in Los Angeles every year and has a large group of colleagues that she meets there. All of them are young. A lot of the staff I've seen or met at the events I've attended are youngish, probably mostly in their thirties.

All of this is very unscientific on my part, just casual observation at best. I think it basically a channel for devotees of movies and age isn't a dominating factor. In fact, most of my friends and relatives my age either aren't familiar with TCM or are casual viewers at best. Even several regular posters here don't even watch it, or get the Canadian version.

I am going to agree with you james on this-- I think they do skew older. I don't think there really is a broad range of ages at TCM events as much as people like to suggest. When they do those interviews at the TCM Film Festival, I always look at the background where people are standing around. The one with Maureen O'Hara which aired ad nauseum in July had a lot of middle-aged bystanders in the crowd. Similarly, the one with Jerry Lewis and Ben also had a lot of older people standing in the background. I am not saying there are no younger people, but the majority are older-- it's pretty obvious. 

Yesterday I went into a store here in the midwest to look for some classic 80s television. I wanted to find a copy of Airwolf starring Jan-Michael Vincent and Ernest Borgnine. A nice guy who was 24 (I looked him up online when I got home and read his resume on LinkedIn) had no idea who Ernest Borgnine was. He had barely heard of Airwolf, and that was in syndication for many years. This was not a dumb guy-- he was very sharp and is one of the managers at the store. So come on-- if he doesn't even know this kind of pop culture from the 80s, there is no way he's going to know about classic films from the 50s starring Ernest Borgnine, when his great-grandparents were in their prime. And there is no way he or his crowd watch TCM. Even Drew Barrymore (pushing 40 girlfriend) is going to be too old and not going to rope this dude into watching. They want stuff from the here and now. For them, classic or old school is anything from 2005. Seriously!

I am going to agree with you james on this-- I think they do skew older. I don't think there really is a broad range of ages at TCM events as much as people like to suggest. When they do those interviews at the TCM Film Festival, I always look at the background where people are standing around. The one with Maureen O'Hara which aired ad nauseum in July had a lot of middle-aged bystanders in the crowd. Similarly, the one with Jerry Lewis and Ben also had a lot of older people standing in the background. I am not saying there are no younger people, but the majority are older-- it's pretty obvious. 

Yesterday I went into a store here in the midwest to look for some classic 80s television. I wanted to find a copy of Airwolf starring Jan-Michael Vincent and Ernest Borgnine. A nice guy who was 24 (I looked him up online when I got home and read his resume on LinkedIn) had no idea who Ernest Borgnine was. He had barely heard of Airwolf, and that was in syndication for many years. This was not a dumb guy-- he was very sharp and is one of the managers at the store. So come on-- if he doesn't even know this kind of pop culture from the 80s, there is no way he's going to know about classic films from the 50s starring Ernest Borgnine, when his great-grandparents were in their prime. And there is no way he or his crowd watch TCM. Even Drew Barrymore (pushing 40 girlfriend) is going to be too old and not going to rope this dude into watching. They want stuff from the here and now. For them, classic or old school is anything from 2005. Seriously!

I think that those on these boards who actually ATTENDED the Festival would be more qualified to comment on the age demo of the attendees. Even if they were younger, younger people tend to travel more easily than seniors.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings