Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheGayDivorcee

Any movie memorabilia collectors?

My cat is on morphine while recovering from major dental surgery.  He's very relaxed, sprawled on my lap for the duration.  I don't want to disturb him, so while pinned down to the couch or bed, I've been looking through my postcard albums

I've collected movie star postcards for a few decades.  For years a postcard and paper collectible show was held at a Shriner's Temple in my town one weekend a year.  It was fascinating and overwhelming to visit the sellers' tables loaded with cards.  Two men specialized in movie stars, and I spent hours looking through their cards.  One of the fellows was somehow related to Rod La Rocque, maybe a nephew.  Silent stars and foreign stars were inexpensive, so I bought many cards of wonderfully exotic women I'd never heard of for $1 each.  Today I sometimes buy on eBay, but miss the atmosphere of the shows.

I hope this isn't too hokey to ask, but does anyone else collect any sort of movie memorabilia?

My cat is on morphine while recovering from major dental surgery.  He's very relaxed, sprawled on my lap for the duration.  I don't want to disturb him, so while pinned down to the couch or bed, I've been looking through my postcard albums

I've collected movie star postcards for a few decades.  For years a postcard and paper collectible show was held at a Shriner's Temple in my town one weekend a year.  It was fascinating and overwhelming to visit the sellers' tables loaded with cards.  Two men specialized in movie stars, and I spent hours looking through their cards.  One of the fellows was somehow related to Rod La Rocque, maybe a nephew.  Silent stars and foreign stars were inexpensive, so I bought many cards of wonderfully exotic women I'd never heard of for $1 each.  Today I sometimes buy on eBay, but miss the atmosphere of the shows.

I hope this isn't too hokey to ask, but does anyone else collect any sort of movie memorabilia?

I have a 1949 Times with Olivia De Havilland on the cover (for The Snake Pit).   The only other movie memorabilia I have are photos.  The cool ones are original promo ones used by theaters so they are from the 40s and 50s and have an official stamp.

I use to go to Edmunds BookStore on Hollywood Blvd.  This is the best store for Hollywood memorabilia in the world.  I would walk around that store for months.    I almost purchased a painting of Leslie Howard but it was expensive and at the time I was just getting started.       But I purchased a lot of movie books at this store back before one could find them on the Internet.

I have a 1949 Times with Olivia De Havilland on the cover (for The Snake Pit).   The only other movie memorabilia I have are photos.  The cool ones are original promo ones used by theaters so they are from the 40s and 50s and have an official stamp.

I use to go to Edmunds BookStore on Hollywood Blvd.  This is the best store for Hollywood memorabilia in the world.  I would walk around that store for months.    I almost purchased a painting of Leslie Howard but it was expensive and at the time I was just getting started.       But I purchased a lot of movie books at this store back before one could find them on the Internet.

The bookstore on Hollywood Blvd. sounds like a treasure trove.  Online auctions are nice, but there's nothing like seeing all that great stuff in one place.  I wonder who ended up with the Leslie Howard painting!  The theater photos sound like a great find.

I'd almost forgotten I have a wonderful old framed photo of a leggy Marlene Dietrich from Blonde Venus.  I bought it in a little shop in Santa Barbara back when such little shops existed.

I used to collect lobby cards and posters, along with autographs of film stars (a few of whom responded to me by letter over the years). Among the autographed pictures that I have is a full cast photo of Gilligan's Island, signed by all seven players. I've seen that same photo for sale on line but never with all seven stars having signed it.

I've also got autographed photos of the likes of Alan Ladd, Errol Flynn, Alice Faye, Myrna Loy, etc..

To be honest, I've had it on my mind for some time to try to sell some of the lobby cards but I've never dealt with an auction house (where the best profit can be made, I assume) so I've held off so far. I'm not quite certain how to go about it.

The following are not copies of my actual lobby cards but I do have originals of these two, among many others. 

44259216-84f9-4b80-a1d7-3ddd5c8b1a47_zps

362af9c7-f518-4eab-a0b2-7a26f110684d_zps

• Like 1

I collect items on actress Jean Harlow. I have photos, movie magazines, lobby cards and window cards. I started it back in 1982. Most came from movie shops , shows. Now I purchase on ebay.

• Like 1

Wow Tom, I love both those lobby cards....

I have files full of old lobby cards & posters-mainly purchased in lots to get one or two. I sell off all the extras. I still pick up promotional 8x10 stills (most are NOT original as the dealers tell you, they were issued for print promotion for TV stations to advertise broadcasts) whenever I see better or older ones. (older ones are typically sepia toned)

Hanging on the walls are the posters of PAPER MOON and KITTEN WITH A WHIP. My framed autographed classic movie star portraits are Gloria Swanson, George Sanders, George Murphy & Gloria Grahame. (also have fave William Shatner & the MST guys) 

Anyone interested in my Janet Gaynor autograph or odd posters? Email me.

I often pick up sheet music from movies too-they look great framed and often show the stars in costume. My favorite is Buttons & Bows with Bob Hope & Jane Russell. My most valuable is As Time Goes By from Casablanca and Tara's Theme from GWTW.

Scripts are fun too-you can print your own now via IMSDb, a huge cost savings for a fun read.

As far as "objects" I only have a costume prop from Pleasantville, Seabisiquit and an old repro Maltese Falcon. Props get dusty and really rather unimpressive. Not worth the money asked, in my opinion.

But that's what happens when you attend real film festivals....you go nuts at dealers booths. Typically way cheaper than buying through the internet.

• Like 1

Wow Tom, I love both those lobby cards....

I have files full of old lobby cards & posters-mainly purchased in lots to get one or two. I sell off all the extras. I still pick up promotional 8x10 stills (most are NOT original as the dealers tell you, they were issued for print promotion for TV stations to advertise broadcasts) whenever I see better or older ones. (older ones are typically sepia toned)

Hanging on the walls are the posters of PAPER MOON and KITTEN WITH A WHIP. My framed autographed classic movie star portraits are Gloria Swanson, George Sanders, George Murphy & Gloria Grahame. (also have fave William Shatner & the MST guys) 

Anyone interested in my Janet Gaynor autograph or odd posters? Email me.

I often pick up sheet music from movies too-they look great framed and often show the stars in costume. My favorite is Buttons & Bows with Bob Hope & Jane Russell. My most valuable is As Time Goes By from Casablanca and Tara's Theme from GWTW.

Scripts are fun too-you can print your own now via IMSDb, a huge cost savings for a fun read.

As far as "objects" I only have a costume prop from Pleasantville, Seabisiquit and an old repro Maltese Falcon. Props get dusty and really rather unimpressive. Not worth the money asked, in my opinion.

But that's what happens when you attend real film festivals....you go nuts at dealers booths. Typically way cheaper than buying through the internet.

Yikes, what a wonderful collection, TikiSoo!  I'm envious of that George Sanders portrait!  Not to mention the Kitten with a Whip poster.  You really have some great loot.  Not to mention the MST guys!  I think I read they'll be online showing "turkeys" on Thanksgiving day.

I'd forgotten a couple things, as they're packed away.  Over 20 years ago I went to an estate sale at silent film actress Carol Dempster's house.  It was sad to look at her things, especially her closet with robes and nightgowns.  An exquisite pair of chartreuse suede gloves (tiny fingers!) caught my eye.  They were made in France, so I liked to imagine she bought them there on some exotic trip.

I also have a collection of cards and notes from Lillian Gish.  Sometime in the mid 80s I began sending her birthday and Christmas cards.  She always answered, either typed or handwritten, in her own hand I'm pretty sure.  She said that she answered all of her fan mail, and after one birthday had a couple thousand cards to reply to!  She also signed a vintage postcard (of her), so that I really cherish.

Wow that's a great post-Gay!

It was sad to look at her things, especially her closet with robes and nightgowns. 

I frequent estate sales and find the elderly really invested in their clothing. I often buy kid leather gloves (so soft!) wool sweaters from Scotland, the occasional fine cashmere sweater and gorgeous coats. I enjoy the quality and having unique clothing. Whenever I wear them I recall the home where they were purchased and am reminded how fleeting life is - enjoy it!

I also have a collection of cards and notes from Lillian Gish.

How wonderful to have something personal!

I will never understand the autograph sellers business. I own a few autographed pictures that were purchased and they mean very little to me. I don't know anything about them. Whereas the ones I received personally as a result of a letter mean more-I have an Yma Sumac 8x10 she sent in response to a "fan" letter I sent. I treasure that one!

But ones you asked for personally mean the most because they evoke the actual meeting memories. Debbie Reynolds was adorable and I was in awe of the great moon face of Mel Torme´although I hate the photo.

Posters...well I like the graphics which is why I have so many- PeeWee's Big Adventure was bought new and I STILL haven't gotten around to framing it. I have several "Pleasantville" posters in my work room as well as this one:

$(KGrHqV,!jME4oeRu9YiBOMg6+6Dt!~~0_35.JP

...because I love horses & my present one was wild when I bought her!

I restore antiques for a living and these are the sort of decorations that turn me on. 

• Like 1

I will never understand the autograph sellers business. I own a few autographed pictures that were purchased and they mean very little to me. I don't know anything about them. Whereas the ones I received personally as a result of a letter mean more-I have an Yma Sumac 8x10 she sent in response to a "fan" letter I sent. I treasure that one!

While I understand your sentiment, the problem is that the stars of the Golden Era are almost all gone today. Long gone stars like Alan Ladd and Errol Flynn, whose signatures I have, you get them where you can get them (and hope that they're genuine).

Still, the autographs that do mean the most to me are those that were a personal response, received many years ago, including particularly kind notes from Jane Russell and James Cagney.

I received a number of autographed pictures that I had sent to her from Olivia de Havilland many years ago. It took me by surprise when I received them, however, because she didn't respond to my letter until five years after it had been sent.

• Like 1

Wow that's a great post-Gay!

It was sad to look at her things, especially her closet with robes and nightgowns. 

I frequent estate sales and find the elderly really invested in their clothing. I often buy kid leather gloves (so soft!) wool sweaters from Scotland, the occasional fine cashmere sweater and gorgeous coats. I enjoy the quality and having unique clothing. Whenever I wear them I recall the home where they were purchased and am reminded how fleeting life is - enjoy it!

I also have a collection of cards and notes from Lillian Gish.

How wonderful to have something personal!

But ones you asked for personally mean the most because they evoke the actual meeting memories. Debbie Reynolds was adorable and I was in awe of the great moon face of Mel Torme´although I hate the photo.

Posters...well I like the graphics which is why I have so many- PeeWee's Big Adventure was bought new and I STILL haven't gotten around to framing it. I have several "Pleasantville" posters in my work room as well as this one:

$(KGrHqV,!jME4oeRu9YiBOMg6+6Dt!~~0_35.JP

...because I love horses & my present one was wild when I bought her!

I restore antiques for a living and these are the sort of decorations that turn me on. 

Great poster.  And you have a formerly wild horse?!  

As a fellow vintage clothing fan, I'd love to see your collection!  My parents lived in a town in Arizona with wonderful antiques shops and when visiting I loved finding beaded sweaters made in Hong Kong (now so crazily priced on eBay) and squaw dresses.  One of my favorite finds was a wool Lucy Ricardo-style Don Loper coat with velvet collar and cuffs and jeweled buttons.  They don't make 'em like they used to, alas!

What an interesting profession, restoring antiques. Working with such treasured or rare objects must really be a joy.