Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

The Power of Children

I've often claimed that the most powerful creature on Earth is a newborn baby.

I've seen these diabolical creatures reduce tough acting "he-man" types to useless blobs of jibbering jelly! (" OOtsee-WOOT-see, Boogah-buggah  BOO!")

But to some, they have a lasting influence.

Take for example my older daughter.  When she was real little, she had the quirk of adding an " 'em" to the end of certain words.  We used to play a short bedtime game in which I would hide a "beanbag" sort of animal, in this case a small dog( and WAY before the "Beanie Baby" craze.  In fact, I'm not sure wether or not it WAS a "Beanie Baby")  And the name of the game was originally "Hide Puppy Beans".

SHE shortly started calling it  "Hide 'em Puppy Beans"  Or, when asking me to put her covers over her feet, would say, "Cover 'em up!"..To this DAY, whenever I help my wife into bed and pull the covers over her, I pull them over her feet saying, "cover 'em up!"

There's a grandniece in our family, the oldest of the grand nieces and nephews, who when little, had trouble wrapping her mouth around certain words and the words she used as substitutes still find use among the grown ups to this day, in spite of this kid now being 27 years old and having NO trouble saying the CORRECT words.

One example:  She had trouble with the word "lipstick", and settled for "Loopah",   which is what my wife STILL calls it!

In fact, my WIFE is a good example, too.  HER name is ALICIA, a name that this niece had trouble wrapping her mouth around, and she started calling my wife "La-La".  All the kiddies born after her also call her La-La, and most of the ADULTS have taken to calling her this!

My younger daughter came up with a couple.  At bedtime, I'd leave the room and ask if she wanted her lamp on or off, and she'd say, "Turn off it!", instead of "turn it off."  I STILL sometimes say this.

She also skewered the pronunciation of certain words.  and I still pronounce them the way she did, too.  One example is, I STILL call the cereal "Rice SCRIP-IES"  and those little "melt in your hand" candies "M's-a-M's"

Now, THAT'S influence!

As an aside, "La-La" is the name that for some reason, my older BROTHER started calling our GRANDFATHER, and I just picked it up from HIM.  When that grandniece started calling my wife "La-La", I just smiled and told my wife, "You're in good company".  THEN I told her about my Grandfather!

Sepiatone

I smoked a minimum of 30 cigarettes a day for 28 years - and often many more than that. I always said that I'd still be smoking in my coffin. I loved it.

But my pre-teen daughter got me to quit. No one else could.

I smoked a minimum of 30 cigarettes a day for 28 years - and often many more than that. I always said that I'd still be smoking in my coffin. I loved it.

But my pre-teen daughter got me to quit. No one else could.

Yeah, I smoked about that much, if not a bit more....and my younger daughter quit a year ago or so.   But she never preached to me about it. It took this damned "Warning Stroke" to get the message across to me!  But my daughter, who among a few other attributes, inherited my over-sized feet, PROMISED to put one far up my A S S if I picked up another smoke!

So, it looks like I quit for good... B)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

But to some, they have a lasting influence.

Yeah, I still call a bowel movement "happy time!" carried over from training children.

Ain't it funny though, how as you get much older, those movements DO become "Happy Time"!   :lol:

Sepiatone

I didn't know wether to post this in this thread, or the "Anecdotes" thread.  But it concerns something my kid sister once did.

At the time, she was FOUR YEARS OLD, which would make it 1968, and means I was 17.

I was in my room, trying to work out a tune on my guitar when I heard a knock on my door.  I got up to answer it and when I opened the door, there was my kid sister, fists defiantly on hips, a look of scorn on her face,who then pointed a finger at me and asked, with a school marm's quizziteveness----"WHO made YOU!?!"

I was taken aback---I was about to say something like, "You'd better go ask MOM or DAD that question...."  Feeling it wasn't MY responsibility to explain such matters with her.  But before I could get any of those words out, she placed both fists defiantly on her hips, declared, with her chin confidentially jutting out that, "GOD made you!"  Then folding her arms as if THAT settled everything, and DARE anyone to disagree!  She then turned around and marched victoriously away.

I sighed a breath of relief.  At least, I didn't have to TRY to come up with something that she might understand.  And then laughed at the thought she was TESTING me for MY knowledge of such an obvious thing---She's 50 now, and I STILL tease her about it!

Sepiatone.

And is she still confident that God made you?

SHE'S no slouch!  One time, when I teased her yet again about it, said, "I grew to believe that God probably did all he could to PREVENT you from coming along!"

I love that kid!

Sepiatone