Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the matter with kids today? . . .

HoldenIsHere

It's called the generation gap.

The 1960's.....

Dr3.jpg

Hah...Blue Boy was a fun Dragnet. Nobody talks drugs like Joe Friday talks drugs.

Until I tried to sit through some of his movies, I never realized Jack Webb, like John Wayne, always did Jack Webb on the screens, big and little. For me, unwatchable.

• Like 1

Hah...Blue Boy was a fun Dragnet. Nobody talks drugs like Joe Friday talks drugs.

Until I tried to sit through some of his movies, I never realized Jack Webb, like John Wayne, always did Jack Webb on the screens, big and little. For me, unwatchable.

One of his best theatrical films is "The D.I." (1957)

Film clip

• Like 1

I'll tell you--grass, weed, ganja, pot, wacky tabacky, tea, meemaw, mary

jane, didja, gomer, scratcnsnuff, puby. These punks think this stuff is

harmless, but before you know it, a baby is drowned in the bathtub, not

that these punks have much use for a bathtub. Hey, before we head back

to the Parker Center, how about we roust some hippies, just for the

fun of it? Maybe even plant something on them. C'mon, Bill.

Alcohol, cocaine, hedge funds, cigarettes, affairs, lobbyists, 2008 meltdown, real estate flipping, IOMs, bank bail outs - how about we roust some white collar criminals, just for the fun of it?

Here's to medical mary jane and the hippies who were naive in 1968 and thought they could make a difference.

The state telling parents how to raise them and  this nonsense.

A quote appears in the article that reads:

One well-known collectivist echoed such sentiments when he said, "Let me control the textbooks and I will control the state. The state will take youth and give to youth its own education and its own upbringing. Your child belongs to us already... what are you?"

Apparently it was said by Adolph Hitler, but when I read it the first thing that popped into my mind was the Texas School Board.

• Like 1

A quote appears in the article that reads:

One well-known collectivist echoed such sentiments when he said, "Let me control the textbooks and I will control the state. The state will take youth and give to youth its own education and its own upbringing. Your child belongs to us already... what are you?"

Apparently it was said by Adolph Hitler, but when I read it the first thing that popped into my mind was the Texas School Board.

I can think of an example previous to him and which was quite effective for long period of time. It is continually amazing to me what people will accept when they are told it is for public good.

Every once in a while Friday and Gannon would bust a scam artist, but the real fun was folks

like Blue Boy and The French Symbolist Poetry psycho, who Friday would match quote for

quote (Joe Friday and Arthur Rimbaud, separated at birth!). Hedge funds and bank bailouts

would not have been as exciting. And alcohol, in moderation, is actually better for one's health

than teetotaling.

I remember sitting at one of my high school friends' house and watching the first run episode where Webb's Sgt. Friday and a character obviously patterned after Timothy Leary were debating the drug issue.

Also in attendance while we were watching this was my friend's dad, and who soon after the show ended turned to me(a person who never did any drugs at all throughout my high school years) and said, "I know MY boy isn't doing drugs 'cause I've already told him if I EVER caught him doing them or even HEARD of his using them, I'd kick his a$$!"

(...little did the big blowhard know that his son was smoking pot every day before AND after school, and had already experimented with LSD)

All those hippies sold out and ruined the world.

Gladys, I'm not sure it was all, but some did, you're right. They got greedy in the 1990s and melted down the country in 2008.

I didn't ruin the world, I simply got disgusted and saw the light. Heck, I didn't even make it to Woodstock. :(

And alcohol, in moderation, is actually better for one's health than teetotaling.

I agree, Vautrin. I bet Jack Webb would agree too. What was the story on his ID bracelet? He had it in his early movies. Who knew, ramrod Jack probably had a soft heart.

• Like 1

Truth be told, "Hippie" was a media word, and those who were considered thus tried to give the word a proper burial in San Francisco in the year 1967. 

Being one had little to do with drugs, clothing or even hair length.  It was more one's state of mind and social attitude than what music you listened to, or how many beads you hung around your neck.

Anyone who rejected attitudes of "hawkism", racism, ageism, sexism, and any blind hatred were considered "hippies".  Those who believe in fair play, whom think the poor need a helping hand, who feel the hungry should be fed are what were once thought of as "hippies". 

Those who followed Timothy Leary's advice to "Turn on, tune in and drop out"  were NOT.

Those whom protested the Viet Nam conflict peacefully and only reacted in kind to agression for self defense WERE

Those whom called police officers "pigs" were not, nor were the ones who called returning Viet Nam vets, who didn't want to go in the first place, "Baby killers" were not.

Those who thought it was all about the bell bottom jeans and headbands were not.

And lest we forget, it WAS those who were what the media called "hippies" who brought about environmental awareness to the rest of the country. They spearheaded the movements that brought us such thingsas the Clean Air Act, and Clean Water Act.   The EPA might have never existed without the environmental efforts of "hippies".

So, it wasn't ALL bad!

Sepiatone

Marijuana is holy weed, I shall not want.

It maketh me lie down in green pastures with an illegal smile plastered across my face.

It refreshes my soul and makes my head righteous.

Even though I walk through the alley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am to stoned to worry.

Its tops and flowers are the things that comfort me.

It keeps me together in front of those with bad vibes.

My pipe runneth over.

Surely dope will get me through the times of no money better yet money will get me through the times of no dope.

- Sammie Kelley

Marijuana is holy weed, I shall not want.
It maketh me lie down in green pastures with an illegal smile plastered across my face.
It refreshes my soul and makes my head righteous.
Even though I walk through the alley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am to stoned to worry.
Its tops and flowers are the things that comfort me.
It keeps me together in front of those with bad vibes.
My pipe runneth over.
Surely dope will get me through the times of no money better yet money will get me through the times of no dope.
- Sammie Kelley

What kind of fascist considers a smile to be illegal?

A hypertense fascist.

The late 1960s version of Dragnet was a hoot. A few puffs of weed and your life would

end in total disaster. I didn't realize it until I was watching the shows again in syndication

that Friday had the intellectual chops to deal with the pointy-headed intellectuals and

various gurus who popped up on the show. I'm guessing this was not representative of

your typical LAPD cop. I remember one episode where Joe was taking a night school

class and nobody knew he was a cop. One of his fellow students started bragging about

using drugs. And of course before the semester was over Friday arrested him. Dum da

dumb dumb.

Yeah, and in the case of that kid, emphasis on the word "dumb" here, eh Vautrin?! ;)

Good point about Friday "having the chops" to intelligently debate the issue of drugs with those "pointy-headed intellectuals", however, and as you also note, Friday WOULD often use hyperbole to make his point.

And continuing on with my little story about my friend's clueless father and his belligerent and ineffective efforts to keep his son from using drugs...I also remember my own father's MUCH more effective manner during OUR little "drug avoidance" talk. He appealed to my intellect and brought a MUCH more reasoned argument as to why he thought the use of drugs was "wrong", and UNLIKE my friend's big blowhard of a father's use of threats. 

(...yep, if there was ANYONE in the world who personified the parenting skills of either Ward Cleaver OR Jim Anderson, it was good ol' Pop)

Interesting. And I'm sure Jack thought alcohol was so much better than weed.

Well, considering a wee dram of a good Single Malt Whisky while you're rollin' it around on your tongue(well, at least on MY tongue anyway) tastes SOOOOO much better than any of the few times I've tried Marijuana, I have a tendency to be in Mr. Webb's camp on THIS one, primos. NOT to mention that pretty much the SOLE purpose of Marijuana IS to "get high", and unlike those of us who prefer to enjoy alcohol in modicum amounts.

(...THOUGH, don't get me wrong here...I think weed should be legalized in all 50 states, and primarily because the policing against its use is a waste of government funds)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings