Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interstellar

NipkowDisc

Hollywood continues to cater to the twentysomethings to the exclusion of anything and everybody else. I've been watching movies and television for going on 50 years now. Just how am I and older uh...pre-millennials suppose to get into christopher nolan's far left futurist tripe?  why does every science fiction film coming out of Hollywood today hafta have a left of center politically correct foundation?  so future earth's resources are giving out and so humanity's survival is gonna depend on some virgin galactic spaceship manned uh...excuse me..person-ed by twentysomething airhead "pilots" like anne hathaway. sandra bullock in gravity was bad enough but anne hathaway? why not kathy griffin? at least if her dramatics fall flat we can laugh. :)

Hollywood continues to cater to the twentysomethings to the exclusion of anything and everybody else. I've been watching movies and television for going on 50 years now. Just how am I and older uh...pre-millennials suppose to get into christopher nolan's far left futurist tripe?  why does every science fiction film coming out of Hollywood today hafta have a left of center politically correct foundation?  so future earth's resources are giving out and so humanity's survival is gonna depend on some virgin galactic spaceship manned uh...excuse me..person-ed by twentysomething airhead "pilots" like anne hathaway. sandra bullock in gravity was bad enough but anne hathaway? why not kathy griffin? at least if her dramatics fall flat we can laugh. :)

even Drew Barrymore would be preferable to anne hathaway. :lol:

today's young hollywood performers simply cannot act. everybody who's older knows it. no wonder the tremendous expenditures on cgi. that's all they have left. :angry:

Uhura: do you suppose that's all they ever had, sir?

Kirk: No...but that's all..they have left.

:D

Hollywood continues to cater to the twentysomethings to the exclusion of anything and everybody else. I've been watching movies and television for going on 50 years now. Just how am I and older uh...pre-millennials suppose to get into christopher nolan's far left futurist tripe?  why does every science fiction film coming out of Hollywood today hafta have a left of center politically correct foundation?  so future earth's resources are giving out and so humanity's survival is gonna depend on some virgin galactic spaceship manned uh...excuse me..person-ed by twentysomething airhead "pilots" like anne hathaway.

The science fiction plot device of Earth's resources running out and the the hope of survival  being in the colonization of other planets is not new and is hardly  "far left."

As for the crew in INTERSTELLLAR,  Anne Hathway, Wes Bentley, and David Gyasi are all in their 30s; Matthew McConaughey is in his 40s.

The science fiction plot device of Earth's resources running out and the the hope of survival  being in the colonization of other planets is not new and is hardly  "left of the center."

As the for the crew  in INTERSTELLLAR,  Anne Hathway, Wes Bentley, and David Gyasi are all in their 30s; Matthew McConaughey is in in 40s.

true, and Michael Caine and Ellen Burstyn are in it too.  I only hope this is a case where the cgi does distract from everything else.

this type of horse hockey goes back to titanic in 1997. same number of oscars as ben-hur? come on. we're not stupes out here. cgi? fine. just make it spectacular so we doan have to think about the performances. :D

Christopher Nolan the director- co-writer of  "Instestellar" is not your average Hollywood hack.  His films are beautifully crafted ( The Prestige) and have some thought provoking ideas ( Inception) This one seems to aiming to be another  "2001 A Space Odessy"

The movie is based on real science for a change.  I will watch it as soon as it comes on PPV.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/why-interstellar-belongs-pantheon-best-realistic-science-fiction-films-180953261/?no-ist

timeinterstellarcover.jpg?w=560

I saw the movie this weekend and I did not discern any political message whatsoever. 

It did mark a milestone for me.  Kinda like when a son beats his father for the first time in baksetball... my son had to explain several aspects of the movie to me.  I guess I'm getting old. 

... why does every science fiction film coming out of Hollywood today hafta have a left of center politically correct foundation?  so future earth's resources are giving out and so humanity's survival is gonna depend on some virgin galactic spaceship ...

Yet the premise of Lost in Space, which you say you prefer, was:

In the year 1997, Earth is suffering from massive overpopulation. Professor John Robinson, his wife Maureen, their children (Judy, Penny and Will) and Major Don West are selected to go to the third planet in the Alpha Centauri star system to establish a colony so that other Earth people can settle there. ...

(IMDB)

• Like 1

In the year 1997, Earth is suffering from massive overpopulation. Professor John Robinson, his wife Maureen, their children (Judy, Penny and Will) and Major Don West are selected to go to the third planet in the Alpha Centauri star system to establish a colony so that other Earth people can settle there. ...

(IMDB)

Mmmmmm..."Penny"!

As a kid, I always wished I was the one who stowed away on Jupiter 2 instead of that loon Dr. Smith, and mainly because THEN I would have been in close proximity to Angela Cartwright!

MAN, did I have a big crush on her back in the day.

1007-angela-cartwright-lost-in-space-now

(...yeah, yeah, I know, I know..."Was there ANY brunette, young OR old, that you DIDN'T have a crush on back in the day, Dargo?!!") LOL 

(IMDB)

the premise of lost in space was more deeply anchored in the national consciousness of those bygone days. an entire family of space pioneers sets out for alpha centauri.

"chosen for their emotional stability and pioneer resourcefulness"

certainly that makes more sense to me than a couple of lovestruck astronaut pilots.

nobody thinks Family in hollywood anymore and maybe that's the problem.

The science fiction plot device of Earth's resources running out and the the hope of survival  being in the colonization of other planets is not new and is hardly  "far left."

As for the crew in INTERSTELLLAR,  Anne Hathway, Wes Bentley, and David Gyasi are all in their 30s; Matthew McConaughey is in his 40s.

the premise of space colonization is not far left but the hollywood execution of it always is.

how about some traditional executions of the premise for the sake of diversity. :)

the premise of space colonization is not far left but the hollywood execution of it always is.

how about some traditional executions of the premise for the sake of diversity.

Hollywood's modus operandi has always been "the bottom line," which is a very "right wing" notion.

The major Hollywood studios produce movies that they believe will bring in a mass audience. 

Hollywood's "agenda" is making money.

Hollywood's modus operandi has always been "the bottom line," which is a very "right wing" notion.

The major Hollywood studios produce movies that they believe will bring in a mass audience. 

Hollywood's "agenda" is making money.

but what then is the attraction to people in their 50s and 60s of Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway? :huh:

interstellar is a clear example of hollywood disregarding the older demographic.

I guess one could say interstellar is not your daddy's 2001. :lol:

but what then is the attraction to people in their 50s and 60s of Matthew McConaughey and Anne Hathaway? :huh:

interstellar is a clear example of hollywood disregarding the older demographic.

I guess one could say interstellar is not your daddy's 2001. :lol:

Well ND, while I of course don't know the age of our new member "starkhome", who just stated in this thread of yours the following...

I saw the movie this weekend and I did not discern any political message whatsoever. 

It did mark a milestone for me.  Kinda like when a son beats his father for the first time in basketball... my son had to explain several aspects of the movie to me.  I guess I'm getting old. 

...it SOUNDS as if the guy MIGHT be in this "older demographic" of which you speak.

And so, my POINT here is that I believe your above statement to be that of the "blanket" variety, and thus MIGHT BE just a "tad" of a "generalization" here, ol' buddy!

(...THAT, and MAYBE the idea that in THIS case anyway, you MIGHT be speaking for others without their permission)

Well ND, while I of course don't know the age of our new member "starkhome", who just stated in this thread of yours the following...

For the record, I'm 44 and my son is 13. 

In addition to not discerning any overt political overtones, I also did not feel like the movie was guilty of "ageism" in any way.  John Lithgow and Michael Caine both had prominent roles and exemplified both ends of the "technology is good/bad" spectrum. 

As far as "attraction" to the two stars, I'm not sure what the original poster would hope for.  Tommy Lee Jones and Ann Margaret?  I will admit that I think the human species does start to degrade in eye appeal at a certain age.  I am definitely no fan of Matthew McConaughey, but thought he did an okay job.

In the end, this film was just a blockbuster trying to be a little more.  It was entertaining, but no Cannes nominees need to worry about the competition.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings