Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Smileboxing

NipkowDisc

How come How the West Was Won is the only cinerama film tcm has shown smileboxed?

It's not possible to show 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ice Station Zebra smileboxed? :huh:

I don't think they were filmed in 3-camera Cinerama, so they are not distorted like How West Won, which was filmed with the most idiotic 3-camera gismo ever made.

2637tri.jpg

I don't think they were filmed in 3-camera Cinerama, so they are not distorted like How West Won, which was filmed with the most idiotic 3-camera gismo ever made.

2637tri.jpg

Hmmmm....kind of a shame that old Joanne Woodward flick, THE THREE FACES OF EVE, wasn't shot in this format, eh ND?! ;)

This is a straight line of girls, shown on a flat screen but photographed with the 3-camera setup, thus showing the distortion, which makes the line of girls look curved:

This-is-Cinerama-1-680.jpg

This SMILEBOX on TV, pushes the two center girls back and the two end girls forward, to straighten out the straight line of girls, but now the whole screen is distorted:

this-is-cinerama.jpg

HOW THE WEST WAS WON and THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM were the only two narrative films to be shot in true Cinerama.  Of course, all the Cinerama travelogue films were done in the true format.  There was nothing like true Cinerama.   Certainly nothing since.  IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD was the first film to be released in, what we called at the time, "fake Cinerama".  However, the curved screen was still used for it.  2001 and others, as well. No matter how they marketed it, it just wasn't the same thing, at all.  Although, compared to the little films of today, they were impressive in their own right.

HOW THE WEST WAS WON and THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM were the only two narrative films to be shot in true Cinerama.  Of course, all the Cinerama travelogue films were done in the true format.  There was nothing like true Cinerama.   Certainly nothing since.  IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD was the first film to be released in, what we called at the time, "fake Cinerama".  However, the curved screen was still used for it.  2001 and others, as well. No matter how they marketed it, it just wasn't the same thing, at all. Although, compared to the little films of today, they were impressive in their own right.

"The little films of TODAY" ya say, John?

Evidently you ain't been to any IMAX 3-D theaters lately in order to watch a movie, eh John ol' boy?! 'Cause THOSE suckers are ANYTHING but "little", dude! ;)

(...btw...I enjoyed reading your history of the old Cinerama films here)

"The little films of TODAY" ya say, John?

Evidently you ain't been to any IMAX 3-D theaters lately in order to watch a movie, eh John ol' boy?!

(...'cause THOSE suckers are ANYTHING but "little", dude!)

I've seen many IMAX films, both 2D and 3D, going back to one of the very first IMAX theaters in North America, in 1976 for the Philadelphia Bicentennial celebration.  They don't hold a candle to Cinerama.  They're high, but not wide.  Just 70MM VistaVision.  I like them, but no comparison.  The great big, widescreen films are my favorites.  If you were to show HWTWW in an IMAX theater, you would have to either crop it, pan and scan it, or letterbox it. The IMAX screen just can't handle those films.  Besides, no where near as many IMAX films are produced as the widescreen films from the 50s and 60s.

I've seen many IMAX films, both 2D and 3D, going back to one of the very first IMAX theaters in North America, in 1976 for the Philadelphia Bicentennial celebration.  They don't hold a candle to Cinerama.  They're high, but not wide.  Just 70MM VistaVision.  I like them, but no comparison.  The great big, widescreen films are my favorites.  If you were to show HWTWW in an IMAX theater, you would have to either crop it, pan and scan it, or letterbox it. The IMAX screen just can't handle those films.

Valid point, I would say. Maybe this is why it seems movies set in the vastness of Space are best done in the IMAX format, what with a lack of having to focus upon a horizontal plane of reference.

Besides, no where near as many IMAX films are produced as the widescreen films from the 50s and 60s. 

True, but this is an "apples/oranges" point of contention, as the topic here was "3 camera Cinerama" and not the standard "widescreen" format which pretty much became the industry standard by the late-1950s.

What about Circle-Vision 360? :D

saw "america the beautiful" at disneyworld back in 1977.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle-Vision_360%C2%B0

Hey, I remember that one. 400 people were herded into the theater and had to stand up for 15 minutes. There were railings to clutch on to if you got dizzy. At the showing I attended two people threw-up. I'm pretty sure that's not something I'd want to try and replicate in my living room. :lol:

What about Circle-Vision 360? :D

saw "america the beautiful" at disneyworld back in 1977.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle-Vision_360%C2%B0

Did you get a queasy feeling during the airplane shots over the Rocky Mountains or during the high-speed fire engine ride shots through The City by The Bay, ND?

(...'cause living just 30 miles from Disneyland and thus visiting Uncle Walt's amusement park quite often over the years, I gotta admit I always did a little anyway) 

Did you get a queasy feeling during the airplane shots over the Rocky Mountains or during the high-speed fire engine ride shots through The City by The Bay, ND?

(...'cause living just 30 miles from Disneyland and thus visiting Uncle Walt's amusement park quite often over the years, I gotta admit I always did a little anyway) 

I don't know what 'smileboxing' is, and I don't care to know, but I do know I almost puked years ago during the ride at Disneyworld/Epcot where the platform was stationary (or should I say stationery, since a local FIOS news channel last night scrawled Arlington National Cemetary, yes of course I emailed them) and the images moved? Yes, I have motion sickness, so going into that theater was NOT a good idea. Is there a puke emoticon? :blink:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings