Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Horrible!

NipkowDisc

there it is scheduled again, Gypsy. I hate that film. Rosalind Russell portrays one of the the most obnoxious, narcissistic, selfish harridans in screen history and Karl Malden as "Herbie" is even more indigestible sucking up to her throughout.

A horrible film.

I will watch the our gang short tonite at 9:50 where froggie causes the whole gang to smell like skunks with his wash detergent. incidentally, a lot of us grew up watching the our gang / little rascals shorts presented to us as TV fare.

nice to see tcm holding steadfast to it's principles. :D

mlm6aw.jpg

• Like 1

there it is scheduled again, Gypsy. I hate that film. Rosalind Russell portrays one of the the most obnoxious, narcissistic, selfish harridans in screen history and Karl Malden as "Herbie" is even more indigestible sucking up to her throughout.

A horrible film.

I will watch the our gang short tonite at 9:50 where froggie causes the whole gang to smell like skunks with his wash detergent. incidentally, a lot of us grew up watching the our gang / little rascals shorts presented to us as TV fare.

nice to see tcm holding steadfast to it's principles. :D

Yes, but, to offset this piece of garbage, there was at 7:30am the 1933 version with Alice Brady. I didn't watch it all because Maureen O'Sullivan makes my teeth itch, but the scene when Alice left her daughter to her mother in law or mother or whatever she was? Perfection. Why? Because you'd think the scene was live or real or both. Alice grabbed the little girl as she was rushing her out of the house, and as she was being dressed (her back to the camera) her undies fell down a little and the young actress grabbed them to hide herself. It was jaw droppingly real.

The old lady talked her into leaving the adorable young girl with her - yeah, right - and the rest is Mame.

I hope you saw this version, Nipkow? The rest of the day was forgettable mother movies.

Let me say a word of praise for the film of Gypsy, which I like very much. It's big and brassy, like its subject. I think Roz is fine. If you read about the real-life Mama Rose -- she was like that!  And it captures Faith Dane's priceless portrayal of Mazeppa, a role she introduced on stage.

• Like 2

Let me say a word of praise for the film of Gypsy, which I like very much. It's big and brassy, like its subject. I think Roz is fine. If you read about the real-life Mama Rose -- she was like that!  And it captures Faith Dane's priceless portrayal of Mazeppa, a role she introduced on stage.

Mama Rose is deserving of the term loudmouth in the same vein as Fred Flintstone.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings