Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE BIG PARADE (1925) John Gilbert's after-the-war scenes?

Kay

This is a wonderful movie, but before starting any conversations there is something I have to know...

>>This post contains spoiler(s).<<

No matter how many times I watch this movie I still can't figure out how they did it. After the war we find out that John Gilbert's leg has been compromised (the same one his girlfriend was clinging to as he was riding out to the front. Hadn't noticed that touch before.) And we see him walking around from the side. Where did the rest of his leg go? He wasn't standing in front of it; he didn't tuck it up under his coat like Lon Chaney, seein' as how he had no coat to tuck it up under. How did they make it look so convincing way back then?

I have searched about this on the web, but have only found other people who are asking the same question. No answers.

John Gilbert didn't really have just one leg, did he? How did they make it look like he had two for the rest of the movie? They didn't cut one of them off, did they? :o;):wacko:

By the way, when this movie aired last Monday I happened to notice that the coming-up-next narrator and Mankiewicz both got the summary wrong, but in different ways. The narrator described John Gilbert's character as an "idler turned patriot," while Mankiewicz said that Gilbert "enthusiastically enlists." Needless to say, his character is never enthusiastic about it, nor does he "turn patriot" any more than he had been ("idler" is not the best word, either...)

I thought that had to be it, but every time I watch it I try to see where his foot went. It's very well-disguised! I don't know how they hid it without a long coat, like Lon Chaney used in The Penalty. Tighter straps, I guess. It's easier to hide one leg than two, after all; though I've seen many more modern films that weren't nearly so convincing.

Thanks for the reply!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings