Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCMHD...Finally HD!

JonasEB

I was wondering why the trailer for Show Boat was letterboxed on the standard feed (I don't have TCM HD). And the thing for the upcoming movies was also letterboxed. The "TCM Extras" open, however, is 4:3.

TCM/HD has been showing films in HD for some time. I assume Metropolitan was shown in HD in September -- it seemed to be. Many others as well.

To my understanding, the HD up to this point has been up-converted from what was formerly the main SD feed. As of this past Monday, they are actually broadcasting in HD and the SD feed will be a downconversion of that signal. I've heard that when available, films will be shown in HD and otherwise will continue to be unconverted from SD. Robert and Ben's introductions as well as other materials currently being produced will be broadcast in HD.

Singin' in the Rain and Robin Hood were in HD on TCM because they are in the National Film Registry of The Library of Congress. All of the films in the National Film Registry of The Library of Congress that are shown on HDNMV channel such as Shane, 12 Angry Men, The Three Faces of Eve, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), The Fly (1958)  OKLAHOMA! and Sabrina (1954) are in HD from the HDNMV channel and would be the type of films TCM would be able to have in HD. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings